Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone ever use HAMMER bullets to reload their .300 WSM?

WVgoodguy22

I have seen a few people mention Hammer Bullets, especially on threads talking about reloading for a .257 Wby Mag (another caliber that I am really interested in, that is a smaller caliber than my .270 and .300WSM). I was just curious if anyone has used them in a .30 cal whether it be a .308 through a 300 Win Mag or even MtMuleys fav in the RUM. I recently (3rd week of Sept) got a .300 WSM in the Savage M110 Long Range Hunter and want to reload for it. I have 70 pieces of once fired brass, a pack of Nosler 165 grain Accubonds and two powders in the IMR4350 and H380. But I want to try some other bullets as well. I seen on their site that there are 152 grain Hammer Hunters and Sledge Hammers, 166 grain in both, 174 Hammer Hunters and 181 grain in both as well. From reading replies on posts from guys like VikingsGuy and others who use Monolithics they suggest light for caliber bullets, so I was looking mostly at the 152s and 166s. Not sure which powders would work best since there is no book like they have for Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, Berger, etc... If anyone has experience loading those which powders and grain weight of powder along with bullet have worked for you? I know he provides custom cartridge load work, but I am an average competent reloader and don't have the $$$ for that kind of service. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Only hammers I have used are in a 7mm08 load. FWIW, my 300wsm load of choice is 150gn TTSX over 58.0gn H4895. H4895 and H4350 are great powders for mid-weight 300wsm rounds. For hammers you can either ask them for load data or you can work up from published data with other similar weight mono bullets (such as the 150gn ttsx). That is how I worked up my 7mm08 load. FWIW - I would only use Hammers if I couldn't get TTSX to work. The hammers are more expensive, less available and I am not sold on the break off petals design choice. The hammer bullet solved a finicky 7mm08 situation I had for which I give them full credit, but not convinced I would move away from TTSX for my bullet of preference - but great to know they are a backup if needed again. Definitely good guys and helpful when I talked to them on the phone.

Hammer bullets are pretty long. I'd stay away from the 174s and 181 and focus on the 166s. I think the IMR4350 over H380. Reloder 16 would be up there too.

Use load data for 165s...they will match up pretty well just follow the starting load and work up. You're going to end up with a compressed load

Nosler's data for like weight bullets is a good starting point for Hammers. You can call Steve, (free advice) but I think the 174 would work for you. As far as being expensive, this always gives me a chuckle. Less available? Nope. Yep, the petals sometimes shear. And the rest of the bullet keeps on moving. My money says you will get an accurate load with more velocity easier with a Hammer than other monos. Hammer also sells a sample pack to get started. mtmuley

Less available? Nope.

Steve seems to be a great guy, and I know he is a buddy of yours, but my 7mm 132s took a loonngg time to get, and a couple of reminder calls at that - almost not in time for this fall season, TTSX can be had same day. Also, may not be around in 5 yrs. I wish him the best and will continue to buy where I need to, but it’s clearly hometowning the question to suggest their availability is the same as TTSX.

Steve seems to be a great guy, and I know he is a buddy of yours, but my 7mm 132s took a loonngg time to get, and a couple of reminder calls at that - almost not in time for this fall season, TTSX can be had same day. Also, may not be around in 5 yrs. I wish him the best and will continue to buy where I need to, but it’s clearly hometowning the question to suggest their availability is the same as TTSX.
Hammer has since added lathes and has a store front with in stock bullets. mtmuley

Ordered 174's for a new 300WM on Monday night, had them at my door Wednesday. I have not begun to work up for this rifle. I shoot 124 hammer hunters in a 6.5/284 and they shoot straight. Only one kill with them though, but buck was drt.

The other thing about Hammers is that you just might have to shoot them (as with any bullet but I bet guys don't do it) instead of rely on a published BC. mtmuley

Only hammers I have used are in a 7mm08 load. FWIW, my 300wsm load of choice is 150gn TTSX over 58.0gn H4895. H4895 and H4350 are great powders for mid-weight 300wsm rounds. For hammers you can either ask them for load data or you can work up from published data with other similar weight mono bullets (such as the 150gn ttsx). That is how I worked up my 7mm08 load. FWIW - I would only use Hammers if I couldn't get TTSX to work. The hammers are more expensive, less available and I am not sold on the break off petals design choice. The hammer bullet solved a finicky 7mm08 situation I had for which I give them full credit, but not convinced I would move away from TTSX for my bullet of preference - but great to know they are a backup if needed again. Definitely good guys and helpful when I talked to them on the phone.
Oh my bad, I got you confused with someone else that comments and helps a lot on this forum like you do. I do remember when I asked a more broad question about reloads for the .300 WSM you shared your pic of a Kudu taken by 150 grain Barnes TTSXs. I do like the idea of monos, even though my brothers Big 7 didn't like them in 150 and wasn't fast enough twist for the 168 grain Barnes LRXs. 4350s whether it starts with H or IMR works well in most rounds, at least that is what we've seen in our 270s and my Dad's 300 WM. I plan on getting a couple other powders down the line to try, the H380 I got was specific to the 165 ABs and I have it for when I get a 22-250. I am glad that you got the 7mm-08 situation figured out.

Hammer bullets are pretty long. I'd stay away from the 174s and 181 and focus on the 166s. I think the IMR4350 over H380. Reloder 16 would be up there too.

Use load data for 165s...they will match up pretty well just follow the starting load and work up. You're going to end up with a compressed load
They do look really long almost like a Berger in that regard. That was my thought as well to go with the 152s or 166s. IMR 4350 has been a great all around powder for us here from 243-300 win mag, I bought the H380 since that was the top tested one for the Nosler 165 grain ABs I bought from the Walmart I currently work at, plus it should work well in my future 22-250. I should have bought the one can of RL16 I saw at my local Cabela's but sadly put it back.

Nosler's data for like weight bullets is a good starting point for Hammers. You can call Steve, (free advice) but I think the 174 would work for you. As far as being expensive, this always gives me a chuckle. Less available? Nope. Yep, the petals sometimes shear. And the rest of the bullet keeps on moving. My money says you will get an accurate load with more velocity easier with a Hammer than other monos. Hammer also sells a sample pack to get started. mtmuley
Thanks aside from calling Steve (now that I know his name) I was thinking to look at the same weight E-Tips or Barnes TSXs for a reference starting point. I had to do something similar and look at a few references when I was reloading some Sierra GameKings in 65 grain with Hodgdon CFE223 powder that my friend recommended. My OLD Sierra book didn't have that powder in the book at all.

Oh my bad, I got you confused with someone else
Myself and others routinely recite Barnes advice to go light and fast with Monos. If you think about it, it makes sense. If a cup and core sheds half its weight then only 90 grains of your 180 grain bullet is driving through the vitals of the elk. If you go quality expansion controlled like Partition or Accubond then you have 80% weight retention so you have 140 grains of your 180 grain bullet inact through the elk. A 150 grain TTSX will be 149 grains in the end (you lose the plastic tip) so you actually have as much or more where it matters. Also, since copper is less dense, the "lighter" bullets are closer in typical length for the cartridge. Plus, by pushing them faster they are flatter shooting and carry more energy to the animal. This extra speed then helps them more reliably expand. I keep mine over 2000fps in my hunting range so never a problem. I love mono in modern rifles!

Myself and others routinely recite Barnes advice to go light and fast with Monos. If you think about it, it makes sense. If a cup and core sheds half its weight then only 90 grains of your 180 grain bullet is driving through the vitals of the elk. If you go quality expansion controlled like Partition or Accubond then you have 80% weight retention so you have 140 grains of your 180 grain bullet inact through the elk. A 150 grain TTSX will be 149 grains in the end (you lose the plastic tip) so you actually have as much or more where it matters. Also, since copper is less dense, the "lighter" bullets are closer in typical length for the cartridge. Plus, by pushing them faster they are flatter shooting and carry more energy to the animal. This extra speed then helps them more reliably expand. I keep mine over 2000fps in my hunting range so never a problem. I love mono in modern rifles!
I read a good bit of HT posts that I am interested in even if I don't comment, you and a core group answer a bunch of posters questions. Yeah I have seen others aside from yourself recite that Barnes advice. When you break it down like that, the simple science does make sense. Thanks Dan and others who have lent their experience and advice my way once again. I just got on both Nosler and Barnes and for the 150 grain E-Tips and TSX/TTSXs the powder that was most recommended was IMR 4064 and there was some others in common. Now to grab a couple options, work up some reloads and wait for the rain to stop and soon snow. I really want to dial this beast in. My brother's wife got him a $100 gift card for his birthday so he got a Caldwell chrono so that should help us.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back