Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone a dark house spear fisher? Ever use a hub style house?

Eric.MN

I was thinking of getting a pop up Hub style Ice house this year for spear fishing Pike instead of a building or buying a canvas/plywood collapsible style Dark house. Then it can double as spear house and just simply ice fishing with wife and kiddos.
Anyone ever spear out of a Hub before? Certain brand you liked over the other?
I figure if I go that rout I’d want around a 8x8 thermal, and dark as I can get. Will make some sort of floor to stand on to get off the ice.
Any spear fishers out there have input?

I was thinking of getting a pop up Hub style Ice house this year for spear fishing Pike instead of a building or buying a canvas/plywood collapsible style Dark house. Then it can double as spear house and just simply ice fishing with wife and kiddos.
Anyone ever spear out of a Hub before? Certain brand you liked over the other?
I figure if I go that rout I’d want around a 8x8 thermal, and dark as I can get. Will make some sort of floor to stand on to get off the ice.
Any spear fishers out there have input?
The one thing I noticed trying to spear through a soft sided spear shack was the wind can be a factor for visibility. If the wind is blowing hard or Gusty the pressure hitting the side of the shack was absorbed by the open water in the hole. This was disrupting the water surface and making a clear image of what is below a bit tough at times.

Yes have done it and it can work well. The spear hole can wind up taking up more room that figured so at least like of 3-4 person hub style with a high enough roof to stand in. That way the spear isn’t hitting the roof either of you throw while sitting, you’ll have plenty of room. I’ve seen where people spear out of flip-overs even but it seems leg room is hard to find then and no great place to put a heater. Make sure your hub is dark inside and it can work really well.

I've speared out my Eskimo Fatfish 949i. I think it works pretty well. I use a couple rubber anti-fatigue mats inside for traction and for keeping my feet a little warmer as well. I would definitely go the insulated route. I had an uninsulated one before this and the black coating on the inside started flaking which let some light through. I wouldn't go smaller than that size either because it could get difficult to maneuver your spear around in the shack.

Depending on your set up, rigging you decoy line(s) can take a little ingenuity. My brother has used his hub successfully, and i use a two-man flip-over all the time. Good luck!

I've speared out my Eskimo Fatfish 949i. I think it works pretty well. I use a couple rubber anti-fatigue mats inside for traction and for keeping my feet a little warmer as well. I would definitely go the insulated route. I had an uninsulated one before this and the black coating on the inside started flaking which let some light through. I wouldn't go smaller than that size either because it could get difficult to maneuver your spear around in the shack.
I have the 747.... it’s too small to spear from in my eyes. I wish I had bought the one you have instead!

Thanks for the input. I too have been using a 3 man flip over but just recently sold it. It was too much to lug around and store at home. I also didn’t like how I was sitting in adjacent to my spear hole. For my decoy I had it rigged over some metal tie wire I strung across the top, it worked but was still kinda a pain.
I’ve never been in a hub and in looking at video reviews it’s hard to tell how dark one is vs the other.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back