Anybody use Hevi X II?

Shifty05

I’ve used Hevi X in the past and have been extremely impressed with the 3in 4s for large ducks and geese. I however was not impressed with the 3 1/2 cycling in 3 different guns and the double bb had terrible performance. My wife’s 20 gauge is a force to be reckoned with using 3in 4s as well. I’m curious if the hevi x II have produced the same results. Thanks

It appears Hevi X II is 12 g/cm3 “tungsten” pellets over 7.8 g/cm3 steel pellets. So how much of the total shot is tungsten? They won’t tell you that. Cut one open and you might find out why they won’t kill anything.

Hevi lost my business a long time ago when they came out with new shells but didn’t publish the density of those shells. Their shot used to all be 12 g/cm3. They came out with Hevi Duck (I think?) and didn’t publish the density but still charged an arm and a leg, even though it was actually 9 g/cm3 and hit with all the energy of ping pong balls. I just pulled up their catalog and they now at least tell you the density, but not the composition of heavy pellets vs steel pellets in their blended shells.

And why in the hell do they even make “Hevi metal turkey”? Honestly, who is buying bismuth/steel mixed shells, which are significantly less lethal than lead, for turkeys?

They do have a damn pretty catalog and some good marketing though! 🤣

I live a state that thinks lead is the root of all its problems.......
Either way for how, what, where, and what I’m shooting at hevi x 3in 4s haven’t been topped yet for me, just trying to see if hevi x 2 is the same as the original. I use mag blends for turkeys and haven’t seen one walk off.

Nvm I miss read your comment. You are incorrect. You are talking about hevi metal not hevi x. Hevi x is all the same tungsten shot not a mixture of steel and tungsten.

I live a state that thinks lead is the root of all its problems.......
Either way for how, what, where, and what I’m shooting at hevi x 3in 4s haven’t been topped yet for me, just trying to see if hevi x 2 is the same as the original. I use mag blends for turkeys and haven’t seen one walk off.
Don't over think it. I've hunted ducks and geese for about 30 years. Get some 2 or 4 shot steel and put em down.
30 years? 91 was the lead ban. Ever use lead 4s for waterfowl? Miss it?

I'm 46 years old. Yes I've been hunting ducks and geese for 30 years or more. Put a shell in your gun and shoot something. It's not hard to figure out bud.

Thanks for answering like a politician. Now that everybody knows how cool you are I’ll standby for the answer I’m looking for. 🦆🦆🦆

Smaller shot patterns better in tungsten. Pattern density over shot density unless your shooting birds at 100 yards. Which is why your bb’s pattern like shit typically. Heavi 12 kills just like the original hevi shot.. because that’s what it is… just in a new bigger box. We were given a case this year, it kills stuff..if I was competition hunting a refuge I might buy it, for decoying birds, waste of money.

Last edited:
Nvm I miss read your comment. You are incorrect. You are talking about hevi metal not hevi x. Hevi x is all the same tungsten shot not a mixture of steel and tungsten.
Yep you are correct. I was looking at Hevi Metal or one of their other blends.

I have had pretty good luck using heavy steel but try to get them in my face as that is what I like about waterfowl hunting these days.

I am old enough to have shot a lot of lead. It was good obviously, my old pump gun only shot 2.75 inch shells also. I have shot all the hevi shot stuff and I am just not impressed at all. I shot a lot of 3 inch boss bismuth #5 this year. Kind of weird loved it early but then had more cripples on northern birds. I was finding a lot of pellets just under the skin on these crippled birds. My fault I should have gotten 4s, and have ordered some 4s. Last month of the season had a spot where mallards and honkers were equal. I searched my garage and found some 3 inch fiochi #2s steel. Wow they were awesome out of my new improved modified. Ran out of them and found 3.5 inch fiochi #2s steel. I always said I was done with 3.5 inch. Wrong they were killers on mallards and honkers. They had a super low recoil in my new Retay Air King. I know ammo choices are tough but hevi anything would be on the bottom of my list.

I am old enough to have shot a lot of lead. It was good obviously, my old pump gun only shot 2.75 inch shells also. I have shot all the hevi shot stuff and I am just not impressed at all. I shot a lot of 3 inch boss bismuth #5 this year. Kind of weird loved it early but then had more cripples on northern birds. I was finding a lot of pellets just under the skin on these crippled birds. My fault I should have gotten 4s, and have ordered some 4s. Last month of the season had a spot where mallards and honkers were equal. I searched my garage and found some 3 inch fiochi #2s steel. Wow they were awesome out of my new improved modified. Ran out of them and found 3.5 inch fiochi #2s steel. I always said I was done with 3.5 inch. Wrong they were killers on mallards and honkers. They had a super low recoil in my new Retay Air King. I know ammo choices are tough but hevi anything would be on the bottom of my list.
Good buddy of mine (old game warden) turned me on to those fiochis he had some name for them that I can remember. Anyway if I’m going to shoot steel that’s why I use can’t beat them at that price. I’ve heard of the boss shells and would like to try them. I went hunting with him and he was impressed with the hevi x. I really try not to get caught up with manufacturer advertising so far the only hevi products I use are hevi x and the mag blends for turkey everything is terrible so far. If the price was worth it I would probably shoot the 2.75 in hevi x to be honest
Hopefully when roger has a case I won’t be disappointed in hevi x 2
I bought a lot of win super x 2s but when I run out or find the fiochis it will be my go to ecspically for early birds or smaller ducks
I wish I could kick this deer hunting habit so I could go shoot more ducks enough to not care what I shoot. However I find my self nocking an arrow 90% of the time not having fun with the boys pulling the trigger.

Good buddy of mine (old game warden) turned me on to those fiochis he had some name for them that I can remember. Anyway if I’m going to shoot steel that’s why I use can’t beat them at that price. I’ve heard of the boss shells and would like to try them. I went hunting with him and he was impressed with the hevi x. I really try not to get caught up with manufacturer advertising so far the only hevi products I use are hevi x and the mag blends for turkey everything is terrible so far. If the price was worth it I would probably shoot the 2.75 in hevi x to be honest
I bought a lot of win super x 2s but when I run out or find the fiochis it will be my go to ecspically for early birds or smaller ducks
I wish I could kick this deer hunting habit so I could go shoot more ducks enough to not care what I shoot. However I find my self nocking an arrow 90% of the time not having fun with the boys pulling the trigger.
I totally agree don’t buy into the hype about shotgun shells. Find what you like and your gun likes and shoot birds. Scout, get a good hide, decoy them in close and any shell will work.

I am just opposite of you, I wished I would have done more archery hunting.😀😀

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back