Anybody know where to buy Hesco MIL-style barriers in the US?

VikingsGuy

I am looking at setting up a backstop for load development at my cabin. I have plenty of space, but the land is very flat and I don't want just a slowly sagging pile of dirt. I have googled, but can't seem to find a US distributor and the direct from China option involves very large orders and DIY shipping and customs - not an option for me. I only need 4 or 5 to do the trick - so it would be fairly cheap compared to other options.

Any sources?

Not Hesco barrier related but my local gun shop has something like this set up behind the building made from railroad ties. Bags of sand stacked up behind it
Thanks, I have actually sketched out something like this many times, but have balked at the RR-tie work involved. Just dumping dirt into big bags with a tractor seems a lot easier.

Thanks, I have actually sketched out something like this many times, but have balked at the RR-tie work involved. Just dumping dirt with a tractor seems a lot easier.
Except the metal cage on the Hesco can and will ricochet bullets. Watching tracers bouncing off from them will fill the sky with light.

Last edited:
Except the metal cabin on the Hesco can and will ricochet bullets. Watching tracers bouncing off from them will fill the sky with light.
Good point, I had thought of that for a moment, but assumed as other ranges use them it was not a problem - maybe a bad assumption.

Good point, I had thought of that but assumed as, other ranges use them it was not a problem - maybe a bad assumption.
You probably never know, till you’ve been around them with tracers. Plus the bullet fragments shred the liners and they leak terrible after a while.

We built a trap out of a sheet of 1/4 inch steel plate. Had it leaning forward so the bullets would deflect down into a bed of sand.
Large steel plate is very expensive and hard to work with. I want something about 10' wide and 8' high + wings - that seems way too much for DIY steel plate project. I am not willing to assume 100% of fire rounds are on target so, a small steel trap is not the solution - but I have considered a small steel trap for the target area to reduce wear on whatever backstop I end up with, as I would expect 99% to be target.

How many railroad ties deep before bullets won't penetrate at 100 yards? 200? mtmuley

@JT13's suggestion looks better every time you reply. Thanks.
Just use two 6” logs as posts 4’ in the ground to the height you want. Got a bunch of 6 to 8 inch logs the length that you want to cover the width. Use 12 inch screws to hold them up and build a wall, then face the wall with plywood. Line the back with sandbags if you want.

It’s not as effective as the railroad ties, but it will do the job.

Google "Bulk Grain Bags" This might be a solution for you. They hold 1 1/2 tons of grain seed each. IDK what that equates to in sand or dirt.

I have thought about two parallel rows of railroad ties 24" apart with sand in the gap. A bunch of poking around suggested that 2ft of sand is more than plenty as long as it doesn't "channel" around the high-use target area.
Would definitely work, but would be much cheaper to build the back of the box out of treated 3/4 plywood. It’s only purpose is to hold the sand in.

Would definitely work, but would be much cheaper to build the back of the box out of treated 3/4 plywood. It’s only purpose is to hold the sand in.
The challenge would be force at the bottom of an 8' column of sand. Maybe first 2-3ft ties, and plywood above that. I don't want sand breaking out the bottom and leaving voids.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back