Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anybody here dealt with insurance on stolen car?

I had a very strange situation on a stolen vehicle with my Ex (that I won’t go into here lol) years ago, the main thing I learned is that the adjuster would not even talk to me until o provided a claim/case number from the PD.

Yes. But they didn’t even make it out of the parking spot before the computer shut the car down. They did do so much damage stealing it that they totaled it. So I didn’t have to deal with the whole are the police going to find my car or not part.

Insurance companies are notorious for trying to screw their members in total losses. They offered me $3200 for my car. I fought with them, made them use the comparable cars I found online for sale, and they gave me $8000. Just remember they’re trying to pay out as little as possible, and you don’t have to accept the first offer they give you. Oh and they record every phone call, so watch what you say and don’t agree to anything you don’t want.

I've had 3 cars totaled, none of them my fault, and every time they low balled me with the first offer and I was able to negotiate much higher.

Last edited:
Please don’t tell us it was the car that you stored all your guns in the trunk!
NO but worse. They broke into my daughters apt while she was sleeping, took her keys and new car we bought her for graduation. We have an air tag hidden in car. Its in Mexico............................

NO but worse. They broke into my daughters apt while she was sleeping, took her keys and new car we bought her for graduation. We have an air tag hidden in car. Its in Mexico............................
Get her a Belgian Malinois puppy and a Beretta 1301 tactical for a replacement gift? That would be an effective combo to prevent that from happening again.

That’s a terrible situation, good luck dealing with the insurance. Glad it ended with losing something replaceable.

I've had to deal with it in the past. Major PITA. Car stolen from my driveway, taken on a joy ride, crashed and burned. Insurance wouldn't do a thing until they got a copy of the police report and could do their own inspection of the car. Car was sitting in police impound and insurance agent seemed to find every excuse imaginable not to go look at the car. We eventually got paid by the insurance company but the experience left me frustrated enough with them that I dropped the insurance company as soon as I cashed the check.

I've had to deal with it in the past. Major PITA. Car stolen from my driveway, taken on a joy ride, crashed and burned. Insurance wouldn't do a thing until they got a copy of the police report and could do their own inspection of the car. Car was sitting in police impound and insurance agent seemed to find every excuse imaginable not to go look at the car. We eventually got paid by the insurance company but the experience left me frustrated enough with them that I dropped the insurance company as soon as I cashed the check.
Isnt that amazing. One would think they would do what they can to make it a positive experience so you do stay with them so they can recoup some money. We literally just changed insurance companies a week ago. hey wont be thrilled I bet. I wish I was with old insurance company during this. They deserved to pay out a little.

Dealt with two stolen vehicles. Vehicle 1 was easy and got a fair offer the first time around.

Vehicle 2 the offer was a bit low and they refused to budge on the offer. I provided examples of comparable vehicles in my area and they still refused. After running up the chain of command, I was told I could either accept the offer or go to mediation and that if I lost, I'd have to pay for it. Took the offer so I could be done with it. Couple months later State Police called and told me to come pick up the engine and rear hatch from a chop shop they had raided. Told them it belonged to the insurance company, not me and that was that (or so I thought). A few months later when I got a collections notice from the tow place who had been charging us for storing those parts without our knowledge. Had to send them a bunch of paperwork to get it sorted out.

Dealt with two stolen vehicles. Vehicle 1 was easy and got a fair offer the first time around.

Vehicle 2 the offer was a bit low and they refused to budge on the offer. I provided examples of comparable vehicles in my area and they still refused. After running up the chain of command, I was told I could either accept the offer or go to mediation and that if I lost, I'd have to pay for it. Took the offer so I could be done with it. Couple months later State Police called and told me to come pick up the engine and rear hatch from a chop shop they had raided. Told them it belonged to the insurance company, not me and that was that (or so I thought). A few months later when I got a collections notice from the tow place who had been charging us for storing those parts without our knowledge. Had to send them a bunch of paperwork to get it sorted out.
Ugh. Hope mine goes well. Used car prices up but so are replacement. I had a sweet deal on hers at 0% interest we bought when Covid started and cars were available. Those days are gone.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back