Any swan hunters out there?

T Bone

I find myself in posession of a Tundra Swan tag. I'm completely clueless on how to hunt them.

Heres my game plan. Hide in a field and shoot one when they fly over........

I don't think I've even seen a swan other than the trumpeters up at Harriman and Island Park areas.

I plan on using 12 guage 3" BB steel. I've heard they are huge birds with a 6+ ft wing span that are tough to bring down.

Any pointers and/or tips would be appreciated.

T Bone

I had two tags this year, but with the early cold snap and chasin' other critters, I didn't put one in the bag.

I am not too sure about pass shooting them. If I were you, I would find bodies of water where they are hanging out. They are pretty stupid birds (guess that happens when they have been protected for such a long time)
confused.gif

I use a couple of decoys and it brings them right in.
Swan_retrieve_1.sized.jpg

You don't need to buy fancy decoys like the one above. I have seen people fill white garbage bags with air and weigh it down. Throw out a few of these and if the swans are using the body of water, you should have no problem sucking them right in.

Your load should be plenty if you are decoying them. Two years ago I put one down with my 2 shot duck loads. Same old story, if you bring them in close, it doesn't take much to kill one.

They are big birds with a long neck. Shoot at the front half.
smile.gif

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
2002_swan.sized.jpg

Miller

Nice pics! That is a big bird! I appreciate the tips on the garbage bag decoys. I'm going to need to do some scouting to find where they are coming through. Hopefully I can get within 40 yards or so of one.

If you push them off the water, no worries. Around here at least, there is a good chance that they will be back in an hour or two.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back