Any SD NR Waterfowlers?

Jmnhunter

my buddy and I are going to apply for the NR duck season in South dakota this year, what are the draw odds lately? seems like they've been changing the structure every year?

thanks!

Not great, any points? What unit you thinking of? They post all drawing odds for the previous year online, fyi

first time, so 0:rolleyes:
thinking of the North central zone, the one to the west of the NE zone.

Ok thanks, I'll take another peak, the last time I checked i thought this years structure was different than the previous years(y)

first time, so 0:rolleyes:
thinking of the North central zone, the one to the west of the NE zone.

Ok thanks, I'll take another peak, the last time I checked i thought this years structure was different than the previous years(y)
I'll be completely honest, I can't keep track of all the non res changes for waterfowl... Sorry I can't be more help!

1 pt, here. My resident buddy has a decent spot to try. I'm hoping 1 pt will cut it!

When is the draw deadline and can you buy a preference point?
I don't know about the deadline but if you purchase a PP you will no longer be eligible to draw this year. Maybe apply first then get your preference point if you are unsuccessful.

When is the draw deadline and can you buy a preference point?
1591967712799.png

And no preference before the draw unless you don't want to get a license this year. after the draw until the end of the year you can pick up preference points for anything you didn't successfully draw in

thanks guys, yeah it looks pretty good for odds this year, but the new change of splitting the 10day to 2-5days may attract more guys; oh well, 1 preference point is almost a guarantee it looks like!

On a Side note I feel all States should pass a law if a South Dakota resident comes to my State they can only hunt 10 days.
Iowa use to have a Law Kasanas Residents could not Deer hunt in Iowa because Kansas did not allow any NonResidents to hunt Deer there.
I say what's good for the Goose is Good for the Gander.

On a Side note I feel all States should pass a law if a South Dakota resident comes to my State they can only hunt 10 days.
Iowa use to have a Law Kasanas Residents could not Deer hunt in Iowa because Kansas did not allow any NonResidents to hunt Deer there.
I say what's good for the Goose is Good for the Gander.
I mean many states have restrictions for non residents... Ultimately it comes down to a limited resource that south Dakota gives preference for residents. Like many things, it's one of those, if you don't like it you don't have to participate ideas.

I will note that South Dakota does not adjust their rules based on what state you're from, I think enacting a law specifically against one state would be difficult to uphold, but I'm not a lawyer.

Every State I know if you buy a license to hunt there you get the same number of days to hunt as Residents at least in the States I have hunted IA MN KS NE IL ID MT CO WY CA TN AK, South Dakota is the only one I know that shortens the season but only for Non Residents.
If someone from South Dakota buys a License in Iowa to hunt Pheasants or Waterfowl they can hunt the whole season if they choose.
In reality most people from out of State are on a limited time schedule anyway.
A few years ago I had a license to hunt West River Deer in South Dakota and as luck had it the year I drew a tag the deer got blue tongue and there were dead deer every where guess what South Dakota told the Residents they could turn in there Deer tags for a refund because there were dam few deer, Non Residents were not offered this. Yes some times it's all about the money. I also Feel as a Duck Hunter and DU & Delta Waterfowl member a lot of there donations to habitat goes into the Praire Pot hole area and South Dakota gets a good share of that money, should not the people who give so much have a little more access to it ?

You can say almost the same things about in-state VS out-of-state tuition, business tax rates, lobbying state governments, etc.

Residence is a major player. They elect the policy makers. And there is never a fairness equation of this state does x so South Dakota should do y.

Every State I know if you buy a license to hunt there you get the same number of days to hunt as Residents at least in the States I have hunted IA MN KS NE IL ID MT CO WY CA TN AK, South Dakota is the only one I know that shortens the season but only for Non Residents.
If someone from South Dakota buys a License in Iowa to hunt Pheasants or Waterfowl they can hunt the whole season if they choose.
In reality most people from out of State are on a limited time schedule anyway.
A few years ago I had a license to hunt West River Deer in South Dakota and as luck had it the year I drew a tag the deer got blue tongue and there were dead deer every where guess what South Dakota told the Residents they could turn in there Deer tags for a refund because there were dam few deer, Non Residents were not offered this. Yes some times it's all about the money. I also Feel as a Duck Hunter and DU & Delta Waterfowl member a lot of there donations to habitat goes into the Praire Pot hole area and South Dakota gets a good share of that money, should not the people who give so much have a little more access to it ?

I get what you're saying, but at the end of the day, South Dakota cares about residents more than non residents. I personally believe it stems from a notion, or maybe a rumor, or maybe a truth, that non residents don't respect the land or the south Dakota values. So when people hear or experience stories about non residents being disrespectful, they talk to their legislators and change happens like a limited season, or no non resident deer tags for rifle East River.

I have heard plenty of stories first hand about non residents, and it's no surprise why these changes were made.

Here is a popular tactic: send just a dad and his young kid to the farmers door. Hey can we have permission to hunt geese on your field? I really want to take Jr. Out and get him involved in the sport. Farmer says yes, because they're good people and want to be helpful for the kid. Next morning five trucks are out on the field, dad and kid were the decoy to get permission for the crew. Farmer didn't want all that action on his field, he was under the impression it would be a father and son only

That kind of thing as sours people, especially when they don't have south Dakota plates.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back