Any recommendation for 30.06 ammo

Since I'm trying not to shoot lead at critters these days, I'll suggest you use a 150 grain mono, like a Barnes TTSX, Nosler E-Tip, etc. Winchester makes an all-copper 150 load that is quite affordable too. Just make sure you're not shooting so far that impact velocity is much below 2200 fps.

A 150 gr. Nosler Partition, Accubond, or E-tip would work very well. So would the same three in 165 gr. weights.

H4350 and IMR4350 are two good powders to load for the 30-06 with most bullet weights also.

When working up a load stick with one brass make. Sort your Winchester, Federal, and Remington brass before loading. Even changing brass can make a difference in a great shooting load and one not so great.

Any recommendation on 30.06 ammo (grain and type) for Pronghorn?

Pronghorn are rather small animals, so my opinion is all you need is an accurate (for your rifle) cap and core bullet. Remington Core-lokt or Hornady Interlock bullets will do just fine. Hit them in the right spot and you will be eating antelope.

ClearCreek

Pronghorn are rather small animals, so my opinion is all you need is an accurate (for your rifle) cap and core bullet. Remington Core-lokt or Hornady Interlock bullets will do just fine. Hit them in the right spot and you will be eating antelope.

ClearCreek
Thank you for the info. I have hundreds of reloads most of them are 165 GR BTSP rounds. I have about 200 prepped brass waiting for reloading so I wanted to update what tip I use. I finally ran out of Hornady #3045s.

Thank you for the info. I have hundreds of reloads most of them are 165 GR BTSP rounds. I have about 200 prepped brass waiting for reloading so I wanted to update what tip I use. I finally ran out of Hornady #3045s.
If you already have hundreds of 165 gr. Boattails loaded (of any flavor), then you are all set if your rifle shoots them well. A 165 gr. bullet is all I use in my 30-06 for coyotes, antelope, deer, bear, elk. I feel completely confident in it.

I have been looking at the resin tips for my reloads in the future. I have an old set of Hornady reloading books. I am going to have to find loading charts for these new tips.

Never heard any bullets called "resin tips" before, but I'd guess you're talking about Nosler Accubond or Ballistic Tip bullets?

If so, you're in luck, Nosler has put their reloading data online, free:

I've used the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2940 fps from my 30-06, via H4350, on mule deer, antelope, elk and black bear with quick kills and complete satisfaction.

Regards, Guy

All my antelope bucks have been shot with 150 grain federal softpoints. all shots between 150 and 250 yards and all dropped in their tracks. Yet to recover a bullet. There are better bullets out there, but this is the one my gun (Rugger M77; 30.06) likes to shoot well with them. There are better and more expensive bullets out there, but I rather pay $20 for a box and get results than pay $40-$50 for the same results. Just my two cents. Id suggest buying different brands with different bullet grains and see how they shoot in the gun you are planning to use.

Last edited:
^^ What 'Zilla said. 'Lopes aren't that big, even the Big ones. Anything from a good 125 to a 165 will work nicely, as long as you can shoot it well in Your rifle. Might be a good excuse to explain to the wifey that the '06 is just too d@nm big for "lopes and that you neeeeed a 243 Win ! ;)

I went all copper years ago and have never looked back. I shoot 200grn TSX bullets at everything from antelope to elk. A high shoulder shot with a 200 grain TSX results in less meat damage Than a 130 grain lead core bullet.

I went all copper years ago and have never looked back. I shoot 200grn TSX bullets at everything from antelope to elk. A high shoulder shot with a 200 grain TSX results in less meat damage Than a 130 grain lead core bullet.
What cartridge are you shooting that enabled you switch from a 130 soft point to a 200 gr copper?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back