Yeti GOBOX Collection

Any PADI members?

but most every thing I am seeing requires NOX cert.
The dive instructor mentioned if I continue diving, my first cert should be for NOX. Then for enjoyment of diving (if money is not restrictive) I should continue with different courses offered. It will aid in "best practice" use of scuba and keep me dialed in.
By PADI $$$, and surrounded by Canada, ID, WY, Dakotas... think this beached whale may stick with my current cert. Enjoy and when Interest peaks grab a course.

Thoughts on NOX?

The dive instructor mentioned if I continue diving, my first cert should be for NOX. Then for enjoyment of diving (if money is not restrictive) I should continue with different courses offered. It will aid in "best practice" use of scuba and keep me dialed in.
By PADI $$$, and surrounded by Canada, ID, WY, Dakotas... think this beached whale may stick with my current cert. Enjoy and when Interest peaks grab a course.

Thoughts on NOX?
Do it. It'll extended your bottom time and decreases nitrogen in the body. It's a win-win deal.

A little late to the party, but I am going to reply anyways.

In terms of dive proficiency you mean "maintain your cert" or like maintain skills? The cert is like everything they want your monies... mine has almost certainly lapsed, as far as skills. I didn't do any advanced certs but I didn't feel like I lost any skills with a long hiatus.

Just one point, once you are certified, it is valid for life. But maintaining your skills is important. If you are worried at all, just ask a dive shop to let you use their pool and refresh your skills.

Thoughts on NOX?
If you are going to do any dedicated dive trips, get Nitrox certified. Helps with bottom time and a lot of people claim to feel better doing multiple dives on Nitrox vs air.
To answer your original question, it really depends on the person. If you can dive once per year, you will probably be fine skill-wise. If you want to do a lot of dives on a trip, going with a group from a dive shop or finding a package is a good way to go. If you want to mix it up and only dive a little, do it a la carte. I have done both with my wife, just depends on what you are looking for.

But as far as diving in general, I probably recommend it to everyone I meet! I am an assistant instructor for SSI and I will probably do my instructor cert eventually. I enjoy the diving and I enjoy the teaching. My wife and I have been all around the world diving, and I have to agree with the consensus that the Indo-Pacific is a game changer compared to the Caribbean. But it is also a much bigger time commitment. Our last dedicated trip was the Galapagos earlier this year and it was out of this world. Go if you ever have the opportunity. All that being said, I love diving here in NorCal. I can go out any month of the year and get some food. Yeah it is cold, but with the right gear it is no problem. I spearfish and grab crabs just about every time out.

I'm actually looking to expand my dive time so appreciate you chiming in @birdman27 . I'm looking at the nitrox as my next step then my next location is waterfront so plan to take advantage of diving and finding a dive club to join for the safety aspect.

Thanks for the info! I hope our travels take us places for our toes in the water, ass in the sand... to enjoy some more awesome diving! Next opportunity that is SET is for Cabo Pulmo again - in November '22. Prime time. Maybe, b then, I'll have my nitrox and enough dive time to step into my advanced open water cert. Either way, looking forward to that trip and any that pop up between then.

Just got back from a dive trip to Belize two weeks ago. First time diving in 10 years. After a short refresher session in the pool everything came right back naturally. First trip to Caribbean waters - it did not disappoint.
Pics? Referral for Dive Shop - Yea or Nay? Where did you stay? Yea or Nay? Whatcha got? Asking for a friend...

Pics? Referral for Dive Shop - Yea or Nay? Where did you stay? Yea or Nay? Whatcha got? Asking for a friend...
We stayed at St. George's Caye Resort and used their dive shop for our dives. They're friendly and helpful, I'd use them again. One day we were joined by another couple but mostly it was just my wife and I and our dive master. Visibility was 80+ feet we estimated. The coral was far more diverse and 'developed' than what I saw in Hawaii (only other area I've dove). A lot more soft corals that had more depth and dimension to it. The diversity of fish was something else. No sharks but a decent number of rays. We speared some lionfish and fed them to morays, that was cool. I don't have an underwater camera so no pics, but I'd definitely get a GoPro if I went back.

We also spent a few days on Caye Caulker and snorkeled the Hol Chan Marine Preserve. That alone made the trip worth it. Turtles, sharks, rays, manatees, lobsters, morays, etc.

Last edited:
Anyone with "Liveaboard" experiences? Specifically with my wife and I. She snorkels, I dive and snorkel. I'll be a third party to dive groups - type setting. We'd like a very nice setting, something to enjoy for out time out of the water, etc...

Not cheap and not Ritz Carlton on water. Not buffet - would enjoy nice dinners and quality evening settings with a limited amount of travelers. 5-10 couples or however it works.
Looking around Sept-Jan.
Thoughts?

I think that's great that your getting certified. There is a whole new world underwater that can keep you busy for years. Take the courses that improve your time under water or just plain interest you. Dive in all conditions and environments on purpose, it will make you a better diver in every condition. Select dive buddy's carefully. Be independently capable and expect the same from a buddy. After a lot of experience, many of my dives have been solo, but done safely. I know, people are cringing right now but self reliance can be the best trainer (if you don't die).

Given your location, if I were you, I would spend some time learning high altitude diving. I dove all over the place and haven't seen many that can say that they took their gear up a mountain to explore a lake that seemingly no-one else has dove before. It could also be more accessible to you and you could get more diving done. You would be unusual and interesting when or if you eventually choose to go on a resort type dive trip because high altitude diving is a bit of a mystery to other divers.

Your dive shop likely provides travel trips as well. They tend to find some really neat off the beaten path places to go and this may be more of interest to a person on this forum than the typical resorts.

Buy good life support equipment and think redundancy. Use the rule of thirds in gas and equipment, give yourself backups should something go wrong. Rule of thirds in issues too. One major issue or three minor issues on a dive and I'm out of the water regrouping, no matter how ridiculous it seems. Sometimes you just need to get the yips out.

Any couples / Family interested in joining a crew chartered catamaran for 7D / 6N? Sea of Cortez?
This is tentatively booked November 7-13th. Two of the four rooms are available.
PM your interest.
Cost is $13.2K total divided by each, 8-10 people. This excludes alcohol, gratuity, and items listed in the "Extras" such as dives. Our age group for two of the rooms is 35-50.

I'll share the company via PM to any who have a serious interest. The reviews are fantastic from various sources.

Passports are required (Flight is to Los Cabos International - SJD) - not sure what will be required come November for Covid though currently no Covid tests or vaccination records are required to enter Mexico.
"You will be required to present a negative COVID test to board a plane to the United States and Canada when leaving Los Cabos. Contact your airline for individual requirements."

Tentative is fine for a week - it would require your share of the deposit to secure your room on the vessel.

Regarding diving: They are defining the projected route and locations where a dive guide (with complete equipment, as needed) will meet us for three days of diving - 2 to 4 dives per day (Awaiting cost per diver). During these dives others are able to snorkel, paddleboard, kayak, etc.

This is a bucket list setting. We are very much looking forward to this adventure... We are going with two cabins filled though if you find this a bucket list setting as well, less expense to all :) The locations are predefined with alternatives, based on weather, by the company.

1654090642717.png

A few snippets from their website:

WHAT YOU ́LL FIND:

• 4 bedrooms with queen size beds and AC
  • 4 spacious bathrooms
  • Queen size sofa bed in the living room
  • Fully equipped kitchen
  • Inside living room with AC
  • Outside dinning
  • Sleeps 8 to 10 passengers

Equipped With​

• Power generator
  • 220v main system
  • Ice maker
  • Electric winch for sails
  • Outside shower
  • Outdoor grill
  • Wireless audio system
  • A/C in all cabins and living room
  • Satellite phone
  • Watermaker
  • Board games
  • Hammock
  • Dinghy
  • Inflatable dock
  • Double kayak
  • 2 Paddle boards
  • Sail for kayak or paddle board
  • Complete snorkeling equipment
  • Fishing rods
  • Canopy
  • Beach chairs
  • Beach table
  • Beach towels
  • Portable speaker
THE PRICE INCLUDES
  • Captain
  • Cook
  • Sailor
  • All meals
  • Al non-alcoholic beverages
  • All amenities

NOT INCLUDED:
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Gratuities

EXTRAS​

We can tailor your trip up to the last detail:
We are in contact with reliable and professional suppliers that we know you’ll be satisfied with and at a fair price.
  • Transport from and to the airport
  • Scuba Diving at any level
  • Diving with a Marine Biologist
  • Swimming with Sea Lions*
  • Swimming with Shark Whales*
  • Botanical Experience
  • Guided tours of the islands
  • Whale watching*
*Seasonal events

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics