Any opinions on Milk River whitetails?

dgibson

What do you think about hunting whitetails on the Milk River? If you have, would you again? If you haven't, would you like to? I've heard it's quite the destination. Anybody? :confused:

I think that is my dad's dream whitetail hunt! Hopefully, I can help him get there in a few years

Greeny is correct on the EHD die off and in my opinion it is over rated and the deer walk around looking up in the trees for hunters like they do in Pike county Illinois. I stay away from the popular spots that all the TV shows go to.

Wheres the Milk river at :D
:D

Thanks for the opinions, folks; not exactly what I was wanting to hear ;) but at least you're honest. You know, Kraven, the Milk River; it's that little country just between the U.S. and Canada. It's that country that lets anybody who has lots of money hunt. :rolleyes:

Huh? You need a lot of money to hunt there? There is some public and block mgt land open to hunting on the Milk River. There is quite a lot of leased land also. I didn't realize that any of the leased land that is priced higher than any other guided MT deer hunt.

There is better whitetail hunting in Montana, even before the EHD.

See what a few hunting videos make people think?

If you have money to burn look into hunting the Arkansas River in eastern Colorado. I couldn't tell you honestly if there is any differance in trophy quality but they always take a few booner whitetails each year along the river. Average cost of a trophy guided deer hunt on good private leases usually runs around 5,000 to 8,000.

Hey, Greenie, I'm sure you know what you're talking about. You're right, I was looking at guide services and so forth. Just fishing for opinions. ;) Elkasaurous, I wish I had money to burn, but I'm more the do-it-yourself guy for now. Even just the trip out west is a lot to handle right now, regardless of destination. :rolleyes:

I assume you muzz hunt ? If so there are some great opportunities for whitetails on public land in Colorado. It will usually take 4 to 5 years to get a muzz tag in a good unit. Unit 103, Bonny Reservoir, is probably the best as far as trophy quality. Not as good as private land but they really restict the harvest and the area has produced booners in the past. Other good areas to try are around the South Platte River, units 91, 92 and 96. Lots of public land up there.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back