Caribou Gear

Any GM mechanics here?

Muskeez

I have a sticky situation that I'd like to bounce off a good GM mechanic in a PM. Short version is I took my work mini-van to a dealer for a simple repair, ($282) when I got it back I had a light on the dash and an error code. Now, they say that is pure coincidence and they want $1300 for parts and 3 hours labor... I'm not happy. Would like to run my original repair and they estimate by someone more knowledgeable to see if they could have, in any way, caused this issue while doing that repair. Kind of a You touched it last type deal. Bad thing is this GM dealer is a good customer of mine. However it will take a LONG time to recoup a $1600 loss. This same dealer tried to blow smoke up my tailpipe last winter to get me to do a complete cooling system flush on a 2 year old truck. ugh!

That sucks... I'd take it to someone else and pay the diagnoses fee. It would be worth it. I'm no mechanic, but seems logical that one thing could have led to another. I once took a Nissan to the Firestone shop for an allignment. They wanted $500 bucks to rebuild some of the front end. I took it to the Nissan dealer and they said it was fine. Nothing wrong with it. I explained to them what the Firestone store manager said. He put it back on the machine and showed me there wasn't a thing wrong. You have to watch them.

That is not a dealer I would keep going to. Many auto parts store will read error codes for free and tell you what the code is for. It may be something very simple and inexpensive. Just by knowing what the code is you may know if the deal is full of crap. They could have knocked a sensor loose and are simply trying to rip you off, again.

I'm not thinking that they did something intentional as much as they MAYBE messed with something they shouldn't have, and caused the error and now don't want to eat the error. They put on 2 new tires and did a 4 wheel alignment. Now I get a "service traction control system" error. The guy tells me that I need 2 very expensive parts. (brake control parts) He says it will be fine to drive without them, but come winter time I won't have anti-lock brakes anymore without replacing those parts. The van has 240K on it now so it may not make it till winter anyway, but if it does I'm going to be nervous about sending my sales lady out on the road with it. Just a bad deal since they are a good customer of mine. On the fence about going to the boss over it or not. If anyone is a mechanic and can tell me if there is any chance of them damaging it accidentally while they did that repair I'd appreciate the help. Headed out for a bear hunt in the morning, back when my daughter gets one :)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back