Any fly recommendations?

dcopas78

I am going to start tying some flies up for my trip out to the Belts this fall. I am assuming that all the normal nymphs(pheasant tail, prince, stonefly) or caddisflies would be good, but I would like to see if anyone has any recommendations they might be willing to pass along. I will be fishing the smaller mountain streams, and possibly the Judith River some. Thanks in advance!
Derek

Depending on how late in the fall, I'd probably have some grasshopper patterns along. Other than that, I wouldn't over think it too much. I would tie up some parachute Adams, some Purple Haze, some Royal Wulffs, and such.

You might want to go smaller in size, with low flows and increased water clarity.

Usually doesn't matter much on the smaller stuff; the fish are fairly cooperative regardless of what you throw. Might be nice to have some eggs and streamers if you're going to be in brookie or brown waters in late October or November.

I would tie up some parachute Adams
You might want to go smaller in size, with low flows and increased water clarity.
I like to tie my Para Adams with a pink post (sometimes orange) it makes no difference to the fish but it does to my eyes!
Cheers
Richard

I like to tie my Para Adams with a pink post (sometimes orange) it makes no difference to the fish but it does to my eyes!
Cheers
Richard

Just make sure you use yarn! I tried this one year with some pink marabou, and it would absorb enough water that it made the post dark and hard to see.

The Purple Haze is quickly becoming one of my favorite flies, possibly surpassing the Parachute Adams.

I usually use poly yarn or dyed calf body hair for the posts. I like pink, bright yellow, or orange as well. It stands out better than anything IMO. Thanks guys.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back