Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Any ever try decoying Shiras Moose?

dk88

I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for unit 59 in Idaho and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using cow decoys? I realized their eyesight is poor so I was not sure how much value a decoy would be.

I hunted opening week, and it was way too hot for the moose to move much but I did locate two quality bulls on small sections of private land surrounded by public. I am planning on spending 10 days in the unit in the beginning of October with the plan of calling a lot and I was not sure if picking up a Montana decoy would be a waste of time?

Not sure why you think a moose has poor eyesight and yes a decoy can work.
It was my understanding that compared to a deer or elk their eyesight was significantly worse, but I guess I could be wrong on that assumption.

It was my understanding that compared to a deer or elk their eyesight was significantly worse, but I guess I could be wrong on that assumption.
I have watched video of guys using two oars crossed above their head to get a bull moose fired up. Now, maybe that would work to pull in an elk or mule deer but I would have to see it. Either moose have less sharp eyesight than their smaller cousins or moose often admire the effort a guy makes to carry oars high above your waist.

I "decoyed" a lot of moose over the years on my old black horse Leon. A couple of times it got quite uncomfortable for both of us. Rutting shiras moose might be the most gullible critter on the mountain, and yes, compared to other deer species, their eyesight is quite poor.

I was riding a bay horse down the trail and was wondering if i was gonna fit in the saddle if that ol Bull decided to crawl up in there with me... I thought poor Ellie was gonna get bred.....

I don't think their eyesight is that bad, I think they're just much more chill and more gullible than a deer.

Moose: "this weird looking plaid thing with a canoe paddle could be some bull I want to scrap with"
Also moose: "this garbage looking thing that smells like beer and farts, sounds like a thirsty moose lady, let me check her out"

Holding an ID bull tag as well. I decided the montana decoy was too pricey and not needed. Could be wrong, we shall see when I return for the rut.
Good luck to you. I took September 28-October 12th off from work so hopefully I can get it done!!!

Reactions: DJ1
I also have a moose tag this year. In unit 76-3. I was out last week and saw a few but the rut was not in full swing yet and they where not responding to calling. I plan on flying back out on the 3rd of October. Do you think they should be responsive by then?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back