Any East coasters ride train west to hunt?

Heading to NM this fall for solo elk hunt and was originally planning to drive. Drove out the past two years with my hunting partner and enjoyed the 23 hour drive - at least the going out part. A friend of mine just took a Boy Scout troop from Ohio to NM via Amtrak and said it was wonderful - took a total of 26 hours but they all arrived completely refreshed and ready to go.

This would save me a day of travel and would be a first for me as I have not seen America via the rails. Anyone else done this?

Don't think you can take your weapons. Check that first. Otherwise it would be pretty cool.

I checked into that - as of 2010 they do allow firearms to be checked similar to the airline procedure (locked case, original box for factory ammo, etc).

We do some short rides here in the state but no long rides in a long time. I rode once from Wichita to Chicago to DC to NC, but it was cold winter and we were near broke so it was a miserable ride with two babies in diapers. In the last 45 years I've driven to CA, NV, WY, TX and CO a total of over 20 times so I much prefer driving. We just pick a route based on how quickly we want to get there; an old US highway, state roads, freeways or combinations of the three. There aren't many stretches between here and that area which we haven't traveled.

Train travel can be fun if you're willing to pay the high cost. They don't often offer reduced fares.

First, you need to understand that AmTrak does not own any of the railway, so they must yield to any & all freight carriers along the way. My son has rode the rail, between Chicago and Cleveland, several times to visit from college. He has never left, nor arrived at any posted scheduled time! We, gave up on trying to save a few bucks and just bit the minimal extra cost to fly him. Besides, what are you going to do once you get there for transportation?

My son headed out there years ago to the Boy Scout camp on Amtrak and the ride was nice he said, but do not rely on their schedule. There was a train that had problems on the track in front of them and they ended up sitting for 24 hours while everything cleared up on the way out.

As mentioned above check the cost as riding the train out there isn't cheap. Flying is cheaper, and faster but the train gets you more scenery.

another consideration

Biggest factor may be how do you get elk meat and antlers home?

All good points mentioned above, kinda falling out of favor although not terribly looking forward to a 24 hour solo drive. Love hunting solo, the driving solo doubles my drive time though.

Had a buddy head west to NoDak one time back in 2002 or 2003 when we were chasing birds. He packed his camo on the train met us out there.

We had packed his shotguns in the truck we drove out to avoid any issues, but at the time I think it may have been legal. We didn't want to have any unforeseen issues, so it was easier just to pack the guns for him. He was dead tired from just getting out of OCS in the army, so he slept most of the trip out. We met him at the station, drug him out to the fields, and had one helluva trip.

I'm sure with enough coolers and bags you could pull off an elk hunt, but it might be tough.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back