MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any Barnes fans out there?

I've heard more than one gun geek attest to the efficacy of the 168 grainer in .308 chamberings.

My wife hit a deer in the back bone with one of these out of a 300 Wthby...

It swelled the area up to about the size of a grape fruit...

I'll be processing it up tomorrow and see if there is any bullet to recover...

Be very interesting to see what it looks like if it's still there...

53 gr. Barnes TSX

I load the 53gr. Barnes TSX pushed by 35 gr. Varget for my 22-250. Use it for hogs in Texas and it knocks the snot out of them. Even the one in the 300-400 lb range don't go over 20 yards. I aim right behind the front leg and even the thick plate on the hogs side doesn't stop the little Barnes. Tremendous shock power!!!

It did a great job in that it expended 100% of the energy inside the animal.

How, exactly, does a projectile "expend" or transfer energy in an animal?
If motion or kinetic energy is transferred to an animal completely just how far should we expect, say, a 200 pound deer to move if absorbs 2000 foot pounds of energy?

Yeah, any partition...always more expansion than the barnes.

I would shoot barnes tsx on only one condition...if every other brand of bullet were out of business.

I've seen more than one or two cases of barnes, both the old x bullets and the new tsx, not expanding at all or way less than diameter. Not what I want in a big-game bullet at all, but to each their own.

Two kinds of bullets in the world...nosler partitions and crap/practice bullets.

Yes, I have proof...99 dead deer, 39 dead elk, 57 dead antelope, a few bears, sheep, moose, etc., to name some of the unhappy customers that have crossed paths with partitions out of my rifles. A few more score of critters that I've seen shot with the same by others.

Yes to question 2.

Yes, I have proof...99 dead deer, 39 dead elk, 57 dead antelope, a few bears, sheep, moose, etc., to name some of the unhappy customers that have crossed paths with partitions out of my rifles. A few more score of critters that I've seen shot with the same by others.

Yes to question 2.

That is not proof of double expansion or in fact proof of any expansion at all.
Prove your answer to question two.

Dufous...try this on for size:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2904382/page/1/fpart/7

Check out that beautiful 'shroom...

Same results I saw with an old style barnes x out of a 264 win mag...recovered from a big-horn sheeps shoulder after breaking the pelvis/hip and lodging in the point of the shoulder on the off-side. Actually that particular bullet expanded even less than the one from the link above.

Much the same as another buddy encountered with a 300 win mag and barnes x. Perfect shot on a nice whitetail buck at 30 yards...animal ran 1/4 mile and piled up in a hayfield. Thirty caliber hole in...one broken rib and a thirty caliber exit hole.

Unless you're totally oblivious to the obvious...I've seen multiple posts, on multiple boards with similar pictures and proof. More than adequate for me to form an opinion on how the barnes tsx and x bullets have failed to perform over the years. I hunt too hard for a question mark on the bullet I choose. Never a doubt with a partition expanding to 2+ diameter on big-game...and thats a given.

Sorry, unless I'm hunting armored vehicles I have no use for barnes...

Any more questions or are we done here?

For the record...do you suppose the bullet that created this situation when going through an elk expanded to 2x its diameter?

Intuitively...even though I never recovered said slug...I'd have to say more than likely...what say you?

338.JPG

Just to reconfirm the facts...

This doe antelope shot with a 7mm RM and 160 grain partitions...do you think that bullet expanded to 2x diameter?

Again...living on the ragged, hairy, edge here...I'd have to say it did. Just a guess on my part though, but on par with what I've found when big-game and partitions meet. YMMV.

IMG_0418_3_1.JPG

Dufous...try this on for size:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2904382/page/1/fpart/7

Check out that beautiful 'shroom...

Same results I saw with an old style barnes x out of a 264 win mag...recovered from a big-horn sheeps shoulder after breaking the pelvis/hip and lodging in the point of the shoulder on the off-side. Actually that particular bullet expanded even less than the one from the link above.

Much the same as another buddy encountered with a 300 win mag and barnes x. Perfect shot on a nice whitetail buck at 30 yards...animal ran 1/4 mile and piled up in a hayfield. Thirty caliber hole in...one broken rib and a thirty caliber exit hole.

Unless you're totally oblivious to the obvious...I've seen multiple posts, on multiple boards with similar pictures and proof. More than adequate for me to form an opinion on how the barnes tsx and x bullets have failed to perform over the years. I hunt too hard for a question mark on the bullet I choose. Never a doubt with a partition expanding to 2+ diameter on big-game...and thats a given.

Sorry, unless I'm hunting armored vehicles I have no use for barnes...

Any more questions or are we done here?

All that I see are red 'X's what do they prove?
forestry must be a wonderful field to toil in, never having to provide proof:rolleyes:
We're not done yet, your post said (in effect) that double expansion was not enough. So what is?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back