PEAX Equipment

Antlerless

runningmt

There are a couple shows that stick out in a different way for me, and in a very positive way. They go against the grain, maybe I’m strange, maybe I’m in the minority thinking so, but these two shows reveal conservation in a unique and refreshing way.

The antlerless hunt Randy takes a couple older gentlemen in Gallatin County on in an OYOA show was a great one. Hunts like this one are common, they happen every day of the season for common folks.

The Meateater show where Steve and Ryan take a couple employees on their first cow elk hunts in Northern MT also was a fantastic show. Most folks will shoot a cow any day of the general season.

Don’t get me wrong, I love horns and antlers as much or more than most, the walls, floors, and horizontal spaces of my house and garage are full of them. Antlerless hunts are are part of every season for me. They are different than chasing bucks and bulls, but are always equally fun, challenging, and rewarding. I think fans of the show may enjoy seeing more.

Thinking about it some more, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show where someone was chasing bighorn ewes, cow moose, or pronghorn doe.

Pronghorn Doe is quite possibly my all time favorite game meat.

I sent for a BH ewe permit in Utah......with any luck, maybe I’ll be chasing one this fall.

There are a couple shows that stick out in a different way for me, and in a very positive way. They go against the grain, maybe I’m strange, maybe I’m in the minority thinking so, but these two shows reveal conservation in a unique and refreshing way.

The antlerless hunt Randy takes a couple older gentlemen in Gallatin County on in an OYOA show was a great one. Hunts like this one are common, they happen every day of the season for common folks.

The Meateater show where Steve and Ryan take a couple employees on their first cow elk hunts in Northern MT also was a fantastic show. Most folks will shoot a cow any day of the general season.

Don’t get me wrong, I love horns and antlers as much or more than most, the walls, floors, and horizontal spaces of my house and garage are full of them. Antlerless hunts are are part of every season for me. They are different than chasing bucks and bulls, but are always equally fun, challenging, and rewarding. I think fans of the show may enjoy seeing more.
I love watching Antlerless hunts. Partly because it’s different and partly because I know they are doing it for the actual hunt itself and not for Instagram likes on hero shots.

I saw Randy's video on those older gentlemen and got a laugh about "can't find the license" prank. Randy's character has always been to take care of people as much as he can and I like that. Meateaters I also watch and like how they do some meat hunts rather than trophy focused.

I myself am a meat eater and rarely will let a tag go unfilled if I can get some meat.

Love a good old anterless hunt.

We have filled our freezer with slick heads for the past three years with Whitetail does. We have access to to 4 farms in Missouri where the people that lease the hunting have zero interest in harvesting does and the landowner wants them thinned out. With both parties permission, we try to take 3-4 a year. My daughters have a blast and we see a ton of deer every day out. Big bucks walking around and all we can do is watch.

Just the other day we were talking about this fall and both older daughters are ready to go. In fact my 10 year old shot a huge old mature doe last year and it was bigger than mine and not a week goes by that she doesn't remind me.. haha.

What is nonresident cost for Missouri doe hunts? Does is my preference but I still salivate when I see that big grand daddy and can't shoot cuz no license.

What is nonresident cost for Missouri doe hunts? Does is my preference but I still salivate when I see that big grand daddy and can't shoot cuz no license.
Non resident youth is $8.50 for a Firearms any deer and 3.50 for a second anterless. My pernit is 265 ( up from 225 last year) and 25 for an extra permit.

This year 2/3rds of my hunt will be for the ladies. Especially if I draw the additional leftover cow elk which I will know about at tomorrow at 8 AM today one way or the other. I am a meat hunter. BUT I will take a trophy if it presents itself pretty much. For the type I licenses this year I plan on filling them towards the end of the hunt unless I find a trophy size bull elk or buck antelope then both are valid for any elk and antelope respectively. This year I plan to actually go after a bull elk and buck antelope with nice antlers/horns. Goal is a 6x6 or better elk and a 16 inch or better antelope.

The Meateater episode you mentioned where Rinella takes two employees on a cow elk hunt is one of my favorite episodes of any show.

Agreed.

I saw a ton of cow elk tracks on the fitness hike Monday evening. I was thinking they had to be close, and then she was. I dry fired my trekking pole but I'm pretty sure I missed. My heart was thumping the same as if I were at full draw on something with antlers.

Coming back around to toward the truck, there she was again. I'm thinking she was tending a calf nearby.

There was another of Randy's episodes with the two boys and their dad in SE Montana. One gets his first doe. My Granddaughter and I watched that again and again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back