Caribou Gear

Antler growth?

Smokepoler63

I got some photos of a bull on my trail camera on July 3rd. The bull's antlers seem to be fully developed and I was wondering if he will gain much more tine length in the next month and a half. I was surprised to see a bull with antlers this large this early in the summer. So, what are your thoughts? Will this bull gain much more tine length or is he about done growing?

its important to remember that animals are individuals. Whether it be Elk, Moose, Muleys, or Whitetails, each animal grows it's antlers a little differently. Some will grow like crazy as soon as the pedicle heals over after shedding while others won't grow much until the last two or three weeks of the antler growing season.

There used to be a tall fence elk ranch just down the road from me. I was good friends with the people that owned it. It was pretty crazy watching how fast the bulls could grow. Allot of the bulls from may to mid august would grow up to and inch a day! It seemed that they would be done growing mass by july and would grow more length on their points through July and August. which makes sense to me . I would guess the bull in the pic would gain some length in the next month. But thats JMO. Cool pic of a good bull

Saw a herd of bulls in Alpine arizona a few years ago in mid July. They all looked like monsters, it would have been nice to see them again after another month of antler growth.

I swapped out my memory cards on Friday, and I was happy to see this bull still in the area. He has added a little length in his fourths, fifths, and most noticeably in his main beams. I hope to see him from my tree stand come archery season!
EK000309.jpg

EK000284.jpg

EK000272.jpg

EK000253.jpg

Back