Anterless Elk -AZ

rustednuts

I am a new AZ resident with 0 points and am hoping to do an anterless hunt in August or September. I'm planning on swinging for the fences with my first choice. I'm looking at unit 17,7 & 1 for my second choice. Anyone have any recommendations for one unit over the others. I'm in the Valley, so unit 17 is the closest to me so I should be able to do the most scouting in that unit. Thanks for any info.

Unit 17 is a unit with VERY few elk. If you're looking for a unit like that with better success unit 2 might be an option. But with 0 points any hunt that your guaranteed is going to be a tough hunt. Are you talking rifle or archery? Archery cow in September have some decent odds, like 25%, but nothing guaranteed.

I could type a book but will wait for more of your questions.

First thing I would do is sign up for the Arizona Hunter Ed course and get that under your belt. That gives you one preference point automatically. I don't know what part of the valley you are in, but 17 is an "iffy" call for elk in any case. I would look to one of the three lower rim units, 21, 22, or 23. Long odds on the draw but better chance of finding elk if you do draw. Tag soup is not very tastey..

Draw has passed for this year but since there was a post today on hunter ed point, hunters need to be aware that it takes a long time for your point to post. Anyone wanting a hunter ed point for the 2019 deer draw needs to complete the training in the next couple weeks.

Screw that. Too hot for me that time of the year. See what the odds are these days for the 22 cow archery tag. Much nicer weather, and a great unit for cows.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back