Yeti GOBOX Collection

Antelope Adventure: 4 Tags, 4 Bucks

406LIFE

Polish_20211121_101536670.jpg

When I started filling out applications this year my expectations were low, a license in Montana and one in Wyoming. Montana continued to disappoint me, but Wyoming stepped up and granted me two. Then Idaho Fish & Game chose redemption after the license sales fiasco in December by choosing my lot for a Muzzleloader buck. And not to be outshined by another state wildlife agency, South Dakota GF&P called me just a few days prior to the season started and asked if I would like to hunt antelope in their allotted portion of western heaven. I immediately obliged and now had four pronghorn buck tags in my possession.

Closing the distance on a buck in Idaho sage scrub was not an easy task. My muzzleloader was green but I had spent enough time to become confident to a hundred yards. While glassing just outside my camp, a small buck appeared, being chased by the buck who was clearly asserting dominance in his territory. Using the broken rock and terrain I could only get to 150 yards. But then a doe appeared on the ridgeline, diverting their attention and bringing the larger buck up a small draw to 45 yards and within range of my .50cal Pedersoli traditional muzzleloader rifle.

Wyoming is the holy land of antelope and a pilgrimage is rewarded with the hunter's choice of buck and pursuit. The first buck gave me the slip in the morning, but by noon had returned and presented a modest 200 yard shot. My second buck was solitary, found in green, grassy bottom feeding away. A kneeling, off-hand shot at 140 yards was easily placed and the buck packed just a few dozen yards to the truck.

South Dakota presented a challenge that was slightly underestimated and required more effort than anticipated. With nearly no time to research the hunt, I focused on National Grasslands but finding few bucks. The plight of western drought coupled with a severe outbreak of EHD had already severely subtracted the herd. Hunting pressure was intense and my only shot was missed due to an ill-performing range finder. An empty handed return home to Montana weighed on me too much and I was compelled to try again. I made the 800 mile trip in one day and managed to find just 5 bucks, all smaller, in almost 300 head of antelope and two days of searching. With the final two days of the season left, I spotted a dozen that required a careful plan of approach. A low crouch became a low crawl of about 400 yards total. My shot was rushed, but effective, and I my last tag was filled.

I find it impossible to not stop and admire antelope wherever they are. My favorite game to eat, there is nothing that compares its tenderness and sweet taste. More than filling a tag, filling my freezer with antelope meat made these licenses the season's priorities. Each one had its own unique challenges, differing from each other in a way that only antelope hunting can span. I treasure each one as I see their decline around the western range. I'd encourage any hunter wanting their own antelope adventure to not wait long.​

Dang looks like a fun year. I sure like antelope hunting the once in a blue moon I get to go

Sounds like a great season, spanning across multiple states congrats to you!

Awesome job and even more impressive all in one season! I took my first Antelope in Montana this year and hope to take one in Wyoming and South Dakota one day as well.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back