MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another Wyoming antelope hunt in the books

deer_shooter

My wife and I got home yesterday from another terrific trip to Wyoming. Weather was great the whole way out but turned the day we got there. It rained hard the first night and pretty much every night we were there with a little sleet and freezing rain to boot. During the day it was sunny for the most part and windy which dried the roads enough to be passable, though still interesting at times.
mud.jpg
This was the best unit we have hunted and will save points to go back. We saw dozens or bucks everyday and never saw another hunter in our unit, though I did see a couple guys glassing in the neighboring unit.
First day, we were going to check out an area that looked promising on the way in and spotted a couple does in a stalkable spot so we pulled over. Since I had the only two doe tags, I circled around till I could get a good shot and dropped a nice doe at 185 yards. We got her back to the truck and in the cooler and spent the rest of the day looking over bucks and generally poking around the area.
John Doe.jpg

Next day Kathy wasn't feeling well so I explored behind camp alone and there were antelope everywhere! I saw a nice buck with a doe in some broken terrain and worked my way over that way. After about 45 minutes of playing cat and mouse with him, I got to within 125 yards and made a good shot. John Buck.jpg

The rest of the day was spent getting him back to camp and vacuum sealing quarters. I bring a basic food saver and run it of an outlet in my truck bed. It makes for transporting meat easy. Its cathartic to package wild game on the tailgate, enjoying a local brew and watch the weather build in the distance.
food saver.jpg
Wyo beer.jpg

After a day of rest, Kathy was able to get back in the game so we went back to the same general area I was the day before and I spotted a nice buck in what looked to be a good spot. After crab walking a few hundred yards and another couple hundred yards of belly crawling, we were in position but the wind was howling so much she wasn't comfortable shooting. We watched the buck bed down and a few others drift in and bed down too. After a half hour or so, they stood up and start to feed. I had told her to be ready to shoot and try waiting for the wind to drop even if only for a second or two. It played out just right and she made a perfect 175 yard shot with her 6.5 Creed.
Kathy Buck.jpg

With one more tag to fill, I switched to my back up rifle, a 7mm08 I've not taken an animal with and went out searching for a doe. The number of bucks in the area made this more difficult than it should have been! After working in on a few different groups that turned out to be all bucks, I was able to find and drop another nice doe.
Here, after a long sneak and laying in wait for them to stand, it turned out all six were bucks. They are bedded about 150 yards off and to the right of my barrel though hard to see.
bedded lopes.jpg

It is such a blessing to be able to drive out, set up camp and do this. We are both very happy with the bucks we got as well as the does. Before we pulled out, I took the spotter out behind camp and turned up this guy...
Not the best image but he was pretty nice.
bigger buck.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip!

Side note- are those the Corrugate pants? How do you like them?
Yep, they are corrugate pants. I like them a lot, very comfortable, my only critique would be I wish they had reinforced knees, like Sitka timberlines. No real wear yet but I can see them wearing on the knees with too much crawling around. There were just right for the weather forecast before we left but a little light for the actual weather, hahaha.

I admire your processing setup I may try something similar. Congrats with the success with your wife! 👍

Very enjoyable read, glad you two were able to have such a great hunt!

I love your idea on the food saver, I've done it with freezer ziplocs a few times but may need to upgrade!

Congrats! How do you like that Quigley Ford scope?
She is a big fan. She won the scope at a local RMEF banquet and bought a rifle to mount it on. I did the load development and we settled on a 125gr Badlands Precision Bulldozer. Gun (Kimber 84)/Scope/load combo shoots sub moa and bullet performance is impressive. The scope is nice and clear and seems to be pretty good quality overall. Ironically, my wife isn't into shooting past 300 but she has a rig that can do it. I may sneak it out and stretch it out to see what it will do.

Yah we had them up for silent auction at our delta waterfowl banquet. I thought about bidding but I don't know much about them.

Looks like a very successful hunt! I wired my own 12v plug in my truck bed and use the same vacuum sealer on my tailgate, very handy.

She is a big fan. She won the scope at a local RMEF banquet and bought a rifle to mount it on. I did the load development and we settled on a 125gr Badlands Precision Bulldozer. Gun (Kimber 84)/Scope/load combo shoots sub moa and bullet performance is impressive. The scope is nice and clear and seems to be pretty good quality overall. Ironically, my wife isn't into shooting past 300 but she has a rig that can do it. I may sneak it out and stretch it out to see what it will do.

I won one as well. It’s getting mounted in the next couple weeks. Looking forward to giving it a try this yr. congrats on a great hunt.

Classic Wyoming antelope hunt and good report. I know that feeling of working up meat on the tailgate. Congrats to you both.

Back