MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another "What should I get" thread

SukiSuki

Looking at a new 308 bolt action and I know that this topic has been beat to death but I wanted some input. I found a Bergara Premier Stalker for 1400. I was looking at a Christensen Ridgeline and maybe a Cooper Excalibur. Are the Cooper and Ridgeline worth the extra money? From what I've seen it's a good deal on the Bergara and would save me 400 - 800 that I could use on some good glass.I live in east Texas and will be using it for deer, hogs, and whatever else I run across. Not planning on stretching my range out passed 300 yards at the long end. No I don't hand load (yet) Thoughts welcome.

i have a 308,,then i brought a browning xbolt in 300 short,,world of difference,,plenty of blood letting

Entirely depends on your budget, intended use, and personal preference. Add with that wood or synthetic stock, blued or stainless barrel/action.
Weight can be a big issue also, or lack of weight.
So essentially you have to weigh what features you want vs what you can afford.
Myself i have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Entirely depends on your budget, intended use, and personal preference. Add with that wood or synthetic stock, blued or stainless barrel/action.
Weight can be a big issue also, or lack of weight.
So essentially you have to weigh what features you want vs what you can afford.
Myself i have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

This !

Seekins Havak PH2 300 Win Mag...since you asked. And take it to the western mountains once a year...at least.

I’ve been having great luck with Remington Model Seven SS rifles in 7SAUM, 7-08, and 308.

I find them to be very handy, accurate rifles.

My Tikka T3X .308 is superbad. Meaning super good. I've owned several .308s over the years and this one is my favorite.

I don't know much about Bergera but it sure has a following these days. I've held them and cycled the action, dry fired them, doesn't seem all that smooth to me, but admittedly never fired one. I like Tikka and Remington.

I was in Walmart this morning and they had a Rem 700 for $347.

Scrap the plastic stock and get a good used one on long range hunting’s classifieds forum, replace the trigger and hunt it, it won’t disappoint. In the rare chance you get a Friday gun a gun smith can do a simple rebarrel and you will have a tack driver well under 1400 bucks.

The Bergara are a nice rifle. If it fits you well and your budget nothing wrong with it. The Barrett Fieldcraft are another great rifle in that price range.

I've looked at Bergara and like them a lot. Just waiting for them to expand their left handed models. Last year I put together a handy little Remington 7mm08. I found a 700 SPS on Gunbroker for a good price then sold the stock on eBay for around $60. I applied that to a Bell & Carlson with a longer LOP. With VX3, I think Im in the gun for around $1000

A few years ago I bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 with their Griptonite stock in a .308 Win. I put a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope on it and I did a few modifications to the stock, and it shoots 150 grain Sierra Spitzers moa or less out to 430 yards (our farthest target berm) all day long.

Between a used Rem 788 and a new Christensen there's a lot of ground! Well let's see, I think you can get a Mossberg Patriot less expensive than a mod 788! The thing they all have in common is if you do your part, they will all do their's! Kind of like the difference between a Chevy and a Rolls, they will both get you where you want to go.

Some people don’t care for the safety on the Tikkas but I absolutely love my .308 T3x Hunter. They can be had for around $800 give or take a bit. It’s the best shooting rifle I’ve ever had and I’m sure it would fit what you’re wanting to use it for perfectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back