Caribou Gear

Another TV personality game violation

I'd like to write a ticket every time one of those TV bozos leaves a deer/elk in the woods overnight, or loads one up in the truck with the guts still in it. And, all that other stuff.

Been waiting on details about this. It wasn't really clear what was done or if any fines will be given out.

Shooting preserve investigation report
•Special investigator staff received information from community
•Primarily big game, but also pheasants and waterfowl
•Most investigations take over a year.
•Work with Black Hills State with forensics have netted over $250,000 from four cases in the past months.
•Information started in mid 2000's
•Todd county
•Initially got information that outdoor channel tv show had broadcasted a mule deer taken without a license
•Case was officially opened in 2011
- Killing deer without license
- Archery licenses to cover rifle deer
- Failure to tag
- Transfer of licenses
•Nov 2012 a federal search warrant was issued
•Also went to Michigan at the same time to interview hunters
•56 deer taken illegally from 2008-12

Taken from April Commission meeting minutes.

Private Shooting Preserve Permit Stipulation Agreement Consent Order
•Commission considered revocation of the private shooting preserve operating permit issued to John Chauncey doing business as Rock Creek Ranch for a period of five years
•Chauncey entered a guilty plea in federal court for the felony offense of Conspiracy - Lacy Act Violations and has entered into a plea agreement to enter guilty pleas to four misdemeanor counts of unlawful possession of big game animals
•One of stipulations is that he must enter into this agreement that he will not own, operate or participate in a private shooting preserve for a period of five years; part of agreement is he would waive right to contested case hearing
•Commission approved revocation of the shooting preserve permit

Taken from January commission meeting minutes

He's that toolbag that had a show with former SEAL Marcus Luttrell a few years ago called "Wild and Raw". The arrogant douchebaggery oozed out of him in every show.

Emrah

Private Shooting Preserve Permit Stipulation Agreement Consent Order
Andy Alban provided background information about 57 illegally killed deer in 2011 involving several individuals facing federal and state charges. This is an ongoing case and details cannot be shared at this time. However, John Chauncey, a Private Shooting Preserve Operator entered a guilty plea.
Director Leif provided the Stipulation and Consent Decree requiring Chauncey not operate a shooting preserve for five years. Administrative rule requires Commission action to revoke Chauncey’s preserve operator’s permit with the Department as stated in the Consent Order. Leif respectfully requested the Commission approve the Stipulation and Consent Decree and authorize Chair Knippling issue the Consent Order.
Motion by Cooper with second by Gary Jensen TO APPROVE THE STIPULATION AND CONSENT TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONSENT DECREE AND
AUTHORIZE CHAIR KNIPPLING TO SIGN THE CONSENT ORDER AS PRESENTED (Appendix A and B). Motion carried unanimously.

Also from January meeting minutes

I'd like to write a ticket every time one of those TV bozos leaves a deer/elk in the woods overnight, or loads one up in the truck with the guts still in it. And, all that other stuff.
I've never had the opportunity for either situation, always to warm to leave an animal for an extended period of time, but it seems like I've read about this here more than a few times.

Maybe the local OYOA celeb's will speak up on their personal experiences.

Sure glad you're not the local warden. :)
Maybe the local OYOA celeb's will speak up on their personal experiences.

Don't know if I qualify for celebrity status but the past two elk I killed lay out overnight and were recovered the next day because I felt it prudent not to push a hit that I wasn't confident in. In both cases it was the right call and the elk were quickly recovered in the morning. I did not loose any meat to spoilage and both bulls happened to be some of the best elk meat I've ever had.
Also, given the option, I'd much rather bring a deer back to the house, hang it, skin it, and then gut it. I've always been able to keep the meat much cleaner that way than the times I gut, and bone in the field.
Contrary to some opinions, animals don't automatically spoil just because the guts aren't removed within minutes of the kill. Obviously conditions dictate what you can and can't get by with. Perhaps some of hunters who make that decision are going with their best options at the time. Monday morning quarterbacking and all that stuff ...... :)

Sure glad you're not the local warden. :)

Don't know if I qualify for celebrity status but the past two elk I killed lay out overnight and were recovered the next day because I felt it prudent not to push a hit that I wasn't confident in. In both cases it was the right call and the elk were quickly recovered in the morning. I did not loose any meat to spoilage and both bulls happened to be some of the best elk meat I've ever had.
Also, given the option, I'd much rather bring a deer back to the house, hang it, skin it, and then gut it. I've always been able to keep the meat much cleaner that way than the times I gut, and bone in the field.
Contrary to some opinions, animals don't automatically spoil just because the guts aren't removed within minutes of the kill. Obviously conditions dictate what you can and can't get by with. Perhaps some of hunters who make that decision are going with their best options at the time. Monday morning quarterbacking and all that stuff ...... :)

Not my experience with elk left overnight. Elk, because of their digestive system, "gas up" very quickly no matter the temperature. By morning thats big trouble.

Deer are a different matter. They can be salvaged.

Elk, because of their digestive system, "gas up" very quickly no matter the temperature. By morning thats big trouble.
On one of those bulls I knew that he was hit too far back. At dark I faced the dilemna, to continue to follow the good blood that I was hoping was coming from the artery under the spine and find a dead bull, or risk jumping a gut shot elk in blow down lodge pole and possibly never finding him. I chose to back out. Turns out my intial thought that I had hit the artery under the spine was correct and I found him less than two hundred yards later. He had died within minutes of the shot. However, He was also hit through the liver and the paunch. If I had not clipped that artery, he would have certainly been alive when I stumbled on him later that evening. One saving factor for me was that the arrow hole in his paunch also vented the gas and he was not bloated.

The second bull was shot through the muscle of the near shoulder at a slight quartering too angle. The broadhead passed through the lower lobes of both lungs, through the diaphram and stomach before exiting. Evidently, the stomach matter and the muscles of the shoulder quickly sealed the entrance and exit wounds and the lungs did not collapse. I watched that bull for nearly two hours without being able to get closer for a followup shot due to a swirling wind. Again, the decision was made to back out rather than risk jumping him. I found him in thick timber less than twenty yards from where I last saw him. Incidentally, there were only a few drops of blood where he had been standing for nearly two hours. Again, the exit wound allowed the gas to escape and that bull was not bloated.

Do l like to leave elk out overnight? Absolutely not. But given the choice to back out on a marginal hit and have a better chance of recovering a bull versus pushing an animal too hard for fear of losing meat and not recovering him at all, for me the ethical choice is to wait.

My point is, every hunter needs to make the best choice they can based on the circumstance they face for that scenario. From my experience and following the advice of many other hunters, gut shot animals do not travel far if undisturbed. Given time to expire they will be very close to where they are shot. If pushed and spooked they can travel extremely far and leave minimal sign past their initial run. Then it becomes a matter of blind luck or dogged perseverance to recover that animal.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back