Caribou Gear

Another reason to hate ticks!

I always had more issues with chiggers than ticks and I have been hunting more than 50 years. I don't ever remember a tick on me yet. You can also mitigate it wearing boots and tucking your pants inside the boot. Wyoming is famous for tick problems so I am sure to see one eventually if I keep on hunting.

I thought I had left the ticks behind when I moved here from NC. Nope. I've found them crawling on me even when there's snow on the ground.

I have picked off as many as 120 in one day here in Missouri! Wyoming doesn't have a tick problem... lol. If I go out in the woods today, I can guarantee I will have at least a dozen ticks crawling on me.
This particular tick carries Asian tick disease (I believe that is the name of it). One of four people that contract it die! This tick was first discovered in the U.S. in 2017 and is found in about six states now. The killer disease it spreads, however, has not been seen in the U.S. to date. I just read about this about a month ago.

Last edited:
I have picked off as many as 120 in one day here in Missouri! Wyoming doesn't have a tick problem... lol. If I go out in the woods today, I can guarantee I will have at least a dozen ticks crawling on me.
This particular tick carries Asian tick disease (I believe that is the name of it). One of four people that contract it die! This tick was first discovered in the U.S. in 2017 and is found in about six states now. The killer disease it spreads, however, has not been seen in the U.S. to date. I just read about this about a month ago.
Icky.

I think that your info is correct, based on what I have read. It seems like something new is always popping up. Some things in nature make you scratch your head, wondering why they exist. Is there even a legit purpose for a damn tick?

Checked cams about 2 weeks ago. Got home home stripped down on porch and had 11 crawling on me. Then the wife and I picked 42 off our dog. She has medicine and still was infested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190715-074505_Voxer.jpg
    Screenshot_20190715-074505_Voxer.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 15
Not a big problem in Az.,They burst into flames in the sun! 😎
When in the service in N.California they were everywhere.ON ME!(n)

I hate the darn things. They are bad here in VA especially in certain areas it seems. The elk I shot last year in NM was full of them must have had 20 on it's rear end and while skinning the head down I had them crawling off like crazy back at camp. Surprised we didn't find one embedded in us.

Checked cams about 2 weeks ago. Got home home stripped down on porch and had 11 crawling on me. Then the wife and I picked 42 off our dog. She has medicine and still was infested.

Mite [NPI] be a good idea to check inside of your vehicle also. I had one on me a couple days after being tick free, so it must have still been inside the vehicle.

Humid weather seems to bring em out more.

Sometimes we find em on these little guys.

8ymUNo7.jpg

in response to a pm question , yes we do have them, especially moose and caribou. muskox can have lungworms 2 ft long, and of course those pesky mosquitos.

I read an interesting article on how possums will reduce local tick populations. When the ticks get on them, they pick them off of themselves and each other and eat them by the thousands. It said that in areas where there are serious tick infestations, ticks will actually make up a large percentage of their protein intake. I now see possums in a whole new light.
Another pest that will prey on ticks is fire ants. As much as I hate fire ants, I think I hate ticks worse.

I used to think there was ticks in western Montana. Then i stepped off the edge off an oil well pad near Tioga ND.
At that point, I thought there was a lot of ticks in ND
Then I performed a topographic survey on an irrigation canal outside Lodge Grass MT
I actually stopped work the first day before it even started and came back the next day with permethrin on.
If you stood outside the truck for 2 minutes you literally could not find a square inch on your pants that did not have a tick. Ticks seem to be localized in density and in that particular spot, I have never seen them so thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back