Another Great Year Here in Iowa

maxx

A few years back my older boy killed a 12 and I killed my biggest buck. It would always be a tough year to top but this year has been great again. I haven't killed a buck I let a few go including the one my older boy killed below.

This is my 11 year old first archery deer! The video isn't great.

Late season is the only season that you can use an X bow and it was my daughters turn to hunt but she doesn't like going mornings so I took the boys out. My older boy is 13 he typically bow hunts he enjoys it more and I am not comfortable leaving him by himself with a gun. Since his sister wasn't going I asked him if he wanted to use the xbow. He has always wanted to try it. At 8:30 I sent him a text that we were getting down, it was on of those days that shouldn't have been that cold but it was really damp and the boys were froze. He reply and asked if I would come get him his hands were to cold to unscrew the bow holder. He had taken the arrow out of the x bow but he couldn't get it back on the quiver. I was only 100 yards from him so I had to be on my way to him, he said he heard something behind him and then this guy stopped at 17 yards, in the exact same spot he killed a doe during youth season with his bow. He put one right through the heart. It only went 30 yards he watched him fall. This is his second buck that is over 130".

Last night was my daughters turn to get out. She hunted out of the same spot last year and killed a 6 point, I had the video camera going but I didn't get the shot. Videoing out of a blind is way harder than a tree. She wanted me to rattle so I hopped up to grab the horns from my bag. I was going to just go really light to see if we could pull something in that was more curious than looking to fight. I have a handful of small bucks on camera sparring in the last week or so. Right as I hit the horns I see this guy. He was 50 yards away staring at us. The thing would run away and come back, this went on for 30 minutes. We watch him trot straight away and we thought it was over. Then with 20 minutes of light left he came charging in. He stopped at 20 yards and she out a really good shot on him! It was 10' from where she shot her buck last year.

hp4GflX.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to ask public or private land? Not that it matters just curious I've been humoring the idea of building points for iowa as our deer hunting here has gone down hill with no sign of coming back in the near future.

Forgot to ask public or private land? Not that it matters just curious I've been humoring the idea of building points for iowa as our deer hunting here has gone down hill with no sign of coming back in the near future.

This is on semi private. I own a lot on a lake and they have a hunt set up to control population on the grounds.

You can kill deer on public here. I hunted it a bunch prior to this opportunity. I am positive I could kill 130 plus deer every year on public if I really wanted. There are some monster deer on it. You just have to know where to look and be willing to work a little.

Here I she video from my daughters hunt. My video skills are lacking but I enjoy the hell out of the memories. She is a ham!

[video=youtube_share;HckvOCoLtT4]https://youtu.be/HckvOCoLtT4[/video]

Thanks for the info, that video was too cool! That girl is a natural in front of the camera!

If you draw a tag I can point you to a few good spots. I used to hunt a lot of public.

Nick87, I will offer the same help if you or anyone ever draws a tag in Iowa as maxx has. I know public land from Dubuque to the Minnesota border the best but have hunted public land successfully all along the Mississippi River.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back