Another great MT spring bear season...Part 1

THWAK1

I was able to do quite a bit of bowhunting for bear this spring, between taking family turkey hunting that is. In all, I saw 5 bears, one was a griz. Here is how my season ended…

I had planned on hunting with my dad all of Memorial Day weekend, which started on Friday for us. My dad is 62 years old and has never shot a bear, so this weekend was going to be all about getting him his first since I've shot many and had my opportunities earlier in the spring.

He picked me up at 3:30 am and we headed to a good late May bear hunting area where I have seen many bears over the years. After hiking and glassing until after noon, I suggested we hike another mile up the ridge to a spot I knew we could glass a lot of country from, stop for a bite to eat and glass some more. As dad was preparing to eat, I almost immediately spotted a bear with my binos at over a mile away. I got out my spotting scope and showed my dad and we watched the bear while we finished a hurried lunch. I knew he was a big bear and one that would make a great trophy for my dad.

We were in an area where he had never hunted, but that I've been hunting for many years. I planned our route and off we went, down the mountain, across the valley and up the other side. We topped out on a finger ridge and spotted the bear feeding in a small opening next to a creek below us, about 400 yards away. As we watched the bear, he fed into the timber so I decided to build a fire to keep warm, as it was raining and blowing, and to wait him out. After about an hour, he reemerged about 200 yards farther up the meadow. We kicked out our fire with the newly falling snow, grabbed our gear and dropped behind the ridge to close the distance. Using the ridge and trees, we were able to get to within 150 yards for the shot and dad set up on his shooting sticks. I was watching through my scope as he shot and heard the resounding "whoomp". As the bear whirled and headed into the thick timber, I took a running shot to try to drop him, not wanting to track a wounded bear.

We gathered our gear and headed to where the bear had been feeding. We found his tracks and shortly afterwards started finding blood. We waited for about 30 minutes then began to track him into the timber, where it became easier as there was new snow sticking to the ground. He was heading up the mountain at an angle. Following the blood was easy but the terrain was steep and snow covered and the timber was thick, all of which made the going slow. Dad was getting winded so I took the lead and he started to lag behind. After about 30 minutes, the bears tracks headed straight up the mountain then cut back the way we had just come from; he had bedded down, watching his back trail. There were two beds in the snow that were full of blood, about 10 feet apart. Although I never heard the bear leave, I was pretty sure he couldn’t be that far ahead of me. I stopped and waited for my dad to catch up. When my dad arrived, we examined the beds and came to the conclusion that he was bleeding out of at least three holes; two mid body and one at the front of his body. We walked up the heavily timbered mountainside another 30 yards to find another bed, fresher than the previous two, with even more blood in it. It looked like something finally broke free inside of him. At this point I told my dad that I was going to push the bear, hoping to make him bleed out completely and end this.

Shortly after I took off on his trail, he finally started side-hilling for the first time. Following his tracks, I crossed a small opening on the side of the mountain, maybe 40-50 yards wide. Arriving at the opposite end I came to a halt and peered into the dense thicket. I was at the top end of a steep chute and as I peered into the thicket at his tracks, something just didn’t feel right. I slowly examined the thicket but could see no signs of the bear. For some reason, I dropped maybe 10 feet below his tracks and entered the thicket. Going was slow. If I had stayed on his tracks it would have been easier walking. When I got to where the chute started up the other side, I stopped to make sure I was still moving parallel to his tracks above me. As I looked up, I could barely make out the bear, standing above me and facing me on all fours, not 20 feet away in the thicket. As I instinctively started to raise my rifle, he started down the chute. It all happened SO quickly! I fired a round off and dived head first back toward the way I had just came from. The bear just missed my feet as I lunged out of his way and he made a terrible noise I can’t really explain. I whirled around, still on my rear, to see the bear sliding to a stop as he piled up against some trees almost directly below me. He never moved again. I rolled over to the edge of the opening and just sat there, my backpack as my rest behind me. A few minutes later, my dad came into sight as he entered the small clearing. He sat down next to me and asked if I got him. I pointed to where he was laying and explained what had happened. Apparently he had had enough and was waiting for me; I was glad I hadn’t followed his tracks into the thicket. We were both relieved it hadn’t ended worse and that it was over. We sat there for probably 15 minutes until my rubbery legs would work again, I remembered to eject my spent cartridge and loaded a new one, brushed all the snow off myself and we carefully made our way down the steep, snowy rocks to where the bear lay. On the way down, my dad pointed out that the bears tracks turned into a slide, only feet past where he had crossed my last set of tracks. When we reached the bear, we each placed a hand on him and dad said a prayer of thanks.

The bear had done a big half circle and died at the head of the creek of which he had been feeding next to in the meadow below. We slid him down the hill to where two small springs converged in the drainage, took pictures and prepped him for skinning and butchering.

It was getting late and I figured we had at least a 5 mile hike back to the truck. It was also starting to snow really hard and the forecast for the weekend didn’t sound promising. I knew we wouldn’t make the truck by dark, plus the 2 hour drive home, I figured we’d be home between 1-2am. I decided that we would hike out and come back the next day to pack him out. I hung flagging tape on a branch near the bear and we headed to the truck.

Attachments

• DSCN0600.jpg
    DSCN0600.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 492
  • DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCN0613.jpg
    DSCN0613.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCN0612.jpg
    DSCN0612.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN0609.jpg
    DSCN0609.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCN0607.jpg
    DSCN0607.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCN0606.jpg
    DSCN0606.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN0604.jpg
    DSCN0604.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCN0621.jpg
    DSCN0621.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN0620.jpg
    DSCN0620.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN0619.jpg
    DSCN0619.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 489
  • DSCN0618.jpg
    DSCN0618.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Another great MT spring bear season...Part 2

If any of you can recall Memorial Day weekend in Montana, it rained and snowed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! Where we had been hunting, I knew there was no way we could drive back to where we needed to park. With the weather being cold, and having taken care of the bear, I was not worried about the meat spoiling or the hair on the hide slipping. Monday looked like there was going to be a break in the weather, so my dad, my son and I headed out at 5am, taking both my dad’s truck and my truck, 2-way radios, tire chains, tow straps and shovels. Luckily, we didn’t need the extra gear, just 4-wheel drive and an extra hour of drive time to get through the mud and snow.

Breaking trail was very strenuous with the snow being 6 inches at the truck, over 2 feet deep at the bear, and uphill the entire way! The chute the bear was in was steep and the snow was to my crotch in places as we climbed. Upon arriving where I had marked the bear’s location, the snow was deep and one would have never known there was a large bear underneath. We dug out a shelf for our packs and gear and for a place for my dad to boil water for our Mountain House meals. We dug another shelf for my son to start a fire, to keep him busy and warm and for us to warm our hands as needed, especially as I started working on skinning and deboning the meat off the bear. Then I dug out an area where I could do my work and then I dug out the bear.

While I was taking care of the bear, my dad made our lunches and then helped my son maintain the fire. We stayed warm, as the weather was finally breaking. We also took quite a few breaks around the fire, enjoying being up in the quiet solitude of the mountains. We worked and laughed and had a great time, just us out there, three generations of hunters and friends.

I had found where my dad had hit him, high in the crease behind his shoulder, a pass through in the “no-zone”. As he was running away from me at an angle, I had hit him in front of one shoulder and the bullet exited out of his lower jaw. The point and shoot shot had entered dead center of his chest, an inch from where I brought the belly cut to the base of his chin, and not exited. I had gotten pretty lucky with that shot; dad said it was because someone upstairs was looking over me. When I was done, we repacked our gear, loaded the bear hide into a pack frame and the meat into another pack frame. Then we put out the fire which was easy with all of the snow. The hike back to the truck was far easier than the hike in as the trail had already been broken and the climbing temperatures were making the snow settle.

We arrived home at 8pm and my dad had his first bear…a beautiful cinnamon colored boar with a beautiful hide and large pumpkin head! It’s going to make a great rug for his wall and be a story we’ll tell for years to come. It was another great spring bear season in Montana and one of my most memorable bear hunts to date! I can’t wait do it all again next spring!

Attachments

• DSCN0657.jpg
    DSCN0657.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCN0653.jpg
    DSCN0653.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN0649.jpg
    DSCN0649.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCN0645.jpg
    DSCN0645.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0644.jpg
    DSCN0644.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0641.jpg
    DSCN0641.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 470
  • DSCN0640.jpg
    DSCN0640.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN0639.jpg
    DSCN0639.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCN0660.jpg
    DSCN0660.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCN0661.jpg
    DSCN0661.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN0663.jpg
    DSCN0663.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 467
Thwak1- great photos-you get my vote for best portrayal of a successful Montana bear hunt.

Awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing. Hunting with dad was always a memory, having 3 generations together would be even better.

Why don't you write a book about it...geez! Just kiddin' ya'! Can't wait to start makin' hunting memories with my boy.

Why don't you write a book about it...geez! Just kiddin' ya'! Can't wait to start makin' hunting memories with my boy.

Don't be a hater! I know you are just jealouse and wish you were as good of a hunter as me! LOL At least you've earned your license plate.....finally! ;)

Actually, I wrote the story and sent it to some of my family members out of state. I wasn't going to put it on here because it is so long but figured what the hell. So I just cut and pasted and added the pictures.

Until your 'lil guy is old enough, you should get Steph to hunt with you, or at least run camera. Do you plan on coming back out this fall?

I hope you had a change of underwear with you to make the hike out that night more comfortable!:D That had to of been quite the adrenalin rush. Great photos, great story and great bear!

Hahaha...yeah I'd love it if she ran the camera. I'm terrible about it. I don't think we're coming out. Steph was just in town for a few weeks and misses it like crazy already, so we'll see. I've tried and tried to convince her. For now I'm setting up for some great Illinois whitetail hunting. I'll post pics on here as soon as I land that 180" buck!!

Thanks everyone! Good times!!!

Matt, you should just make her happy and move back here. If momma's happy, then everyones happy! LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back