Caribou Gear Tarp

Anchorage in July.

pa mt man

I'm going to be in Anchorage from July 15 to the 23 with the wife. My thoughts right now are getting a ride from Whitter, that's where my cruise ends, to Seward. I'm planning on renting a state park cabin that is accessiable by water taxi for two days and then renting a car and staying at a another cabin near Denali and taking the national park bus into the park.

Do any of you Alaska guys have any other suggestions? If any of you guys live near Ketchikan,Juneau,Sitka,Skagway or Whittier(Anchorage) and would like to meet up for a day, I'd be glad to buy you lunch or dinner (at Macdonalds:D)for tour of the town. I'll be in Seattle and Vancouver for two days each before my cruise and a week in Huntington Beach at the end of my trip. Same deal there.

I'm planning on renting a state park cabin that is accessiable by water taxi for two days and then renting a car and staying at a another cabin near Denali and taking the national park bus into the park.

You better check on the availabilty of those cabins. They usually get booked as soon as they are available to book, 6 months in advance I think.
I'm not planning on being on the mainland at that time but if things change I'll drop you a pm.

Plans changed. I took Ovis's advise and rented a 24 foot motor home for the week off ABC.:D It was only 971.25. Now all I need is a map marking all my camping spots(Walmart parking lots).

Ovis, I couldn't load your map and what is the ABC.

Plans changed. I took Ovis's advise and rented a 24 foot motor home for the week off ABC.:D It was only 971.25. Now all I need is a map marking all my camping spots(Walmart parking lots).

Ovis, I couldn't load your map and what is the ABC.

Only $971.25 :eek: for the week?

Be cheaper to rent a house and car for the week, wouldn't it?

Prices in Alaska are crazy. If you get a decent place outside Denali it's over 200.00 a night.

Fishing on the Kenai peninsula may be pretty fun, so check out the areas around Soldotna and Kenai. It will be a madhouse, but worth the mahem. With a motor home that size you may be able to just pull off of the road along the Seward Highway from Portage to Anchorage for a night on your way north or south.

Not that familiar with the areas around Denali, but I am sure others are...and Google.

Alaska Bush Company...Ovis was being a wise guy Wink

to bad i don't have time to squeeze you in for a couple days of grizzly bear hunting..be on the salmon and almost a garuntee!! thems the breaks....
sounds like you've got a good trip planned so far!! take the mayhays river boat tour to devils canyon outa talkeetna, thats well worth the money!!

Thanks for the advise waterboy and BRWNBR.
I checked into fishing out of Soldotna for the first two days 16 and 17. I got an offer for one day of salmon for the wife and I on the river and one day of halibut for me for 625.00 total. Think I'm going to take it. My wife wants to go looking for gold while I'm halibut fishing. The guy I'm dealing with said he sent a women out last summer and she found an 8 ounce nugget. Hope my wife finds enough to pay for the trip.:D

I booked the Mahay's devils canyon trip for saturday the 18th.

Plan on staying in Denali for it least two days 19 and 20. They have openings inside the park for the camper.

I don't know what I'm going to do the last two days.
Maybe Fairbanks or the Cheno hot springs.
How long does it take a 24 ft motorhome to drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage? Are there a lot of mountains and hills? The only motor home I ever drove was a lot bigger and we crawled up every little hill.

Have to be back to Anchorage at for a flight out on the 23rd at 5 pm.

You can do Fairbanks to Anchorage in 6-10 hours depending on how comfortable you are. Not a lot of big mountains, but lots of up and down hills. Its not that hard of a drive in the summer. The only problem is usually the old folks driving their motorhomes and holding up traffic....oh....um....never mind.

You can do Fairbanks to Anchorage in 6-10 hours depending on how comfortable you are. Not a lot of big mountains, but lots of up and down hills. Its not that hard of a drive in the summer. The only problem is usually the old folks driving their motorhomes and holding up traffic....oh....um....never mind.

Don't you have some papers to grade?:D

If you are still in Alaska in July and you and your wife want in bunk in the old farts motor home in Denali,I know you have already seen it, let me know. I don't carry a cell phone but my wife does. I pmed it to you.

You sure you want to make that offer? I have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old boy that come along with that deal!!!

Terrible Twos!!!:eek:
Offer is rescinded.:( Sorry, my youngest is 22 and will be home for the summer and crying cause she can't come.

Back