Caribou Gear Tarp

An Elk Watching Weekend

Nemont

An Elk Watching Weekend (Pics)

A buddy of mine and I decided to take our 8 year old sons out to the elk viewing area in the Missouri River Breaks. It is a tradition to go watch the elk as they gather their harems and they bugle and fight. I had not been down there for years but decided my boy would like it. We packed up after work on Friday and left. We got there and set up my buddies camper.

P9220151.jpg

Of course the boys had to play in the fire.

P9220146.jpg

Stayed up until 1:00 a.m. visiting and listen to literally hundreds of elk bugling and cow calling.

Woke up and here is the view from the front door of the camper.
P9230155.jpg

P9230156.jpg

The boys were up and enjoying the morning. Mine son is the one on the right.
P9230159.jpg

Morning fire to take off the chill
P9230157.jpg

They decide to wet a line before we get breakfast.
P9230181.jpg

P9230180.jpg

Anyway on to the elk viewing.

we find a sleeping bull
P9230185.jpg

P9230186.jpg

This guy was herding up his cows.

P9230207.jpg

P9230210.jpg

This bull was working over these bushes

P9230275.jpg

P9230283.jpg

Another bull that is protecting his cows
P9230169.jpg

P9230168.jpg

We were watching a meadow that probably held 300 elk. There were bulls bugling all around us. It was really an awesome thing to see and hear.

We then saw this bull begin to run out into the meadow.
P9230252.jpg

There was another bull coming on the run also both were pushing their cows out of the way.

P9230260.jpg

Then they sqare off

P9230261.jpg

P9230259.jpg

P9230267.jpg

P9230258.jpg

P9230262.jpg

P9230265.jpg

I turn to look at my boy who is watching these bulls fight through his binos. He has a huge grin on his face. Then he looks at me and says, "Dad this is the best day of my life."

Nemont

..and his comment made that the best day of your life? Bet it did.. Great pics and a great story..

:cool:

You lucky DOG!!! Very cools pics. Looks like everyone had a blast. Its series of pics like these that remind me of how lucky we are to see places/nature such as these. I think it is just awesome to see the smiles on your childrens faces and the pics tell the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing.

I was up their a few weeks ago on the other side of the river and down. not a elk sound in the morn or ev but you go to bed and the elk go nuts. where you were at they didnt shut up did they. frustrating for me...... Great pict where you from nemont

Nemont
Senior Poster

Craig,

BTW the guy I went with is your financial advisor. He asked a couple of times how I ever came to know you.

Nemont

He asked a couple of times how I ever came to know you.
Just bad luck on your part I guess. :D

Are you ready for the ducks? I wanted to chase elk this weekend, but the pup has been feeling left out lately. The pick-up is loaded with the boat, decoys and everything else needed to kill a duck, so tonight we ride. I will be in Malta this afternoon. Best of luck with the birds this weekend.

"I turn to look at my boy who is watching these bulls fight through his binos. He has a huge grin on his face. Then he looks at me and says, "Dad this is the best day of my life.""

Dang man that would have choked me up a little bit. Kids are great.

What a great set of pictures. Isn't there a bowhunt in the area or something??

Great post!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back