An anti-hunter's opinion (Oregon Hound Hunting)

Washington Hunter

GUEST VIEWPOINT
State ignores protections for cougars
By Jeff Long
Published: Thursday, March 29, 2007

In 1994, Oregon voters overwhelmingly approved Measure 18 to ban the use of hounds for hunting cougars, as well as the use of bait or hounds for hunting black bears. Voters did so not only because they believe the practice of cornering animals with a pack of hounds is unsportsmanlike, but also because they support conserving the state's wildlife. They had hoped the initiative would end decades of persecution of cougars and afford the wild cats the protection they deserve.

Tragically, more cougars are being killed now than before Measure 18 was passed.

While it is still illegal for hunters to chase cougars with hounds, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has bent over backwards to assuage hunters still fuming over the hounding ban. For instance, the ODFW has reduced cougar tag fees to a meager $11.50, extended the cougar hunting season to 10 months and in some areas year-round, and permitted hunters to kill two cougars per year. The very intent of Measure 18 - to safeguard one of Oregon's most majestic species - has been significantly undermined.

According to a March 17 report by The (Medford) Mail Tribune, "Sport hunters killed a record 284 cougars in Oregon last year, helping lead to the highest total mortality of cougars ever logged in the state. The increase in sport-hunting kills occurred despite the 1994 ban on hound-hunting - which once was the most common form of cougar hunting - in part because more hunters in the woods now carry cougar tags. The 38,719 cougar tags sold in 2006 also were a record, as were 442 documented cougar kills overall for damage and human safety and by other means, such as poaching or roadkills, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife."

The ODFW readily admits more cougars are being killed in Oregon than ever before. Ron Anglin, ODFW's Wildlife Division administrator, told the Mail Tribune, "Our stats go back into the '70s and these are the highest we're ever recorded. ... Now, the majority of sport hunters who shoot cougars do so while hunting deer, elk or other species and stumbling upon a cougar."

To add insult to injury, the ODFW has launched its Cougar Management Plan, which calls for expansive use of lethal controls to "manage" cougars. There is no scientific justification for such an aggressive approach to addressing perceived conflicts with cougars. Nor are cougars a threat to public safety. There has not been a verified cougar attack on humans in Oregon in modern times, and nothing in the management plan would prevent an attack.

In addition, the agency's continued emphasis on killing cougars will divert resources away from techniques that are far more effective in reducing conflicts, such as appropriate land-use planning, improved animal husbandry, and public education.

Rather than killing cougars, the ODFW should be encouraging people to avoid feeding wildlife, bring pets in at night, shelter domestic farm and ranch animals, install motion-sensing lights around their property, recreate with others while in cougar country, and educate family members about cougars to reduce conflicts with the cats.

Finally, trophy hunters and their allies in the Legislature are back this year with proposals to gut Measure 18. House Bill 2971, would permit the ODFW to deputize hunters with hounds to kill cougars. This is yet another end run around the ban and should be summarily rejected by lawmakers.

It is obvious the ODFW believes it is not accountable to Oregonians. It is time Gov. Ted Kulongoski reined in this rogue agency by halting the Cougar Management Plan, replacing the department's old boy network with staff that truly cares about our state's wildlife, and oppose any efforts to roll back Measure 18. Otherwise, the governor's legacy will be the massive slaughter of one of nature's most awe-inspiring creatures.

Jeff Long of Eugene is a board member of the Cascadia Wildlands Project, www.cascwild.org.

God... the propaganda drones on and on and on (you can smell their hate)... The supporters of Measure 18 won a smashing victory over the ODFW (a so-called rouge agency) and their "good old boy network", and STILL it isn't satisfying enough. Wonder which agency will bankroll the next referendum and what will next be banned.
We have the same situation down here in Screwball-land. Cougar hunting has been totally banned since 1990 when Prop 118 was passed. Everyone got their wish: mountain lions are no longer being "exploited." But populations in California have skyrocketed to the point where just as many nuisance lions are being culled today as when there was an actual hunting season for them. Tragic, isn't it?
Oregon cat hunters are to be applauded for buying record numbers of tags last year. This little fact really sticks in Mr. Jeff Long's craw. Hope he chokes on it with the rest of poison he enjoys spewing around.

Jeff doesn't seem to comprehend the significance of something he cites in his letter...that Oregon kills far more cougars now than when hounds were legal.

He should talk to the family of a one Barbara Schoenmaker.

Hippies don't really care about wildlife...only that their narrow, Disneyesque ideology is imposed on everyone else.

Hmmm, maybe more cats are being killed because now there are MORE CATS?

I could type more but my eyes are bleeding from reading some of this stuff.....

Don't these folks like deer?

They want to cougars to eat the deer, so hunters don't harvest them, like California has been for years.

I hope the game and fish can hold out in Oregon, that is admirable, getting hunters to get all those cougars.

Some people are predators, some are scavengers. I think that Long guy who wrote that from Eugene must be a scavenger and not go to the woods much. If he does, I hope a cougar doesn't get him, but I do hope one scares him pretty good.

I just wish Oregon would make the non-resident cougar tag the same price as the resident tag. Last I looked the non-res tag was $150. I'll be elk hunting there this year, but I'm sure not going to buy a $150 tag for cougar just in case I happen to see one. (It would be nice if a complimentary one came w/ the purchase of a deer, elk, or bear tag).

The same bs laws were passed here too. It shouldn't be allowed to have the general public voting on game laws; that is what we have wildlife biologist for, to make game season recommendations and the Wildlife agency to decide what is best for the people and wildlife.

there's so much stupidity crammed into that article I couldn't even get through it......

Hmmm, maybe more cats are being killed because now there are MORE CATS?

I could type more but my eyes are bleeding from reading some of this stuff.....

Don't these folks like deer?

LOL...exactly!

Finally, Oregon is doing something right. They've mis-managed big game for years (another discussion), but there are so many tree-hugging mofos in Oregon, it's crazy! Politics, "green this", "green that", spotted owls, etc. has been killing that state for years.

I've written newspaper articles. I've even written position papers for gubernatorial candidates. I know the big words and the sentence structure.

But in reality.....is this nutcase for real. Can anybody be that ill-advised and just plain unable of thought....at least outside the state of California or outside of the government itself?

Come on, Mr. Long, join the real world. Come out here and COUNT the number of cougars. We are overpopulated by 40% or more; all across the west.

Shoot them if you see um' no matter where you at! Oregon' big game management is something to be desired. I'd rather not rant about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back