Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ammo for Browning Abolt 7mm Rem Mag- Elk load

backsmasher23

Won this gun at a RMEF banquet for being a sponsor member and time is now to start shooting it. Heading to Colorado in a couple weeks and curious if anyone that shoots this has had good luck or bad luck with any different ammos? Regardless going to grab a few boxes this weekend and put in some range time. Have a VX3i on top from Schmalts.
Looking at :
Fed Premium 165 gr Sierra Gamekings
Nosler Partition 140gr
Hornady 162 gr SST
HSM 168 Bergers Trophy Gold

Thanks

My pick is ammo that has 160 Accubonds , or Partitions. The 140 Partitions will also do well for you. I would not touch the 165 Game Kings and definitely not the Hornady SST, unless you want to chance a wounded elk getting away, due to lack of penetration. I have never liked Bergers, but that is my opinion and lots of people love them.

My pick is ammo that has 160 Accubonds , or Partitions. The 140 Partitions will also do well for you. I would not touch the 165 Game Kings and definitely not the Hornady SST, unless you want to chance a wounded elk getting away, due to lack of penetration. I have never liked Bergers, but that is my opinion and lots of people love them.

^this. I would also consider Hornady 154grain Interbond, Nosler E-tip, or similar.

I'd say "no" on the SST's from the experience I've had with them on deer and antelope. I had a couple come apart and fragment when they hit any bone. I've shot several deer and a cow elk with the 140Gr partition and they've worked great

Last edited:
I shoot the Hornady 154 grain interbonds for about 20 years. Been good to me

160 gr. Accubonds, Partitions, or E-tips will work very well in your 7mm mag. I would try each one of these and the one that you got to shoot the best, that is what I would use.

I'm handloading, so slightly different..
Using 150gr. Accubond Long Range over RL26 powder.
Had to true my ballistics calculator, but so far a really good combo...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back