Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Altitude sickness

Rooster52

After reading about the man that passed away due to altitude sickness got me thinking.I have had some signs of this and wondered if the Wyoming Black Hills has had this affect on anyone. Planning a archery hunt there where the altitude will be between 3500 and 5000 feet.

I wouldn't think that you would get severe altitude sickness if you are topping out around 5000'. If you are coming from sea level, you may feel a little the altitude in the way of headaches and maybe being more winded than normal. That said, everybody is different and you truly have to listen to your body.

I live at 650' above sea level. I don't feel anything different until I get at least 8500'. You shouldn't have any problems at all. You'll need to double that number before before having any problems, I would think anyway.

You should not have to worry about a thing. Start worrying when hunting 8,000 ft and higher. But as always, pay attention to your body, if you start getting a headache, take it easy.

5000'ft shouldnt be an issue for you. that's still flat lander stuff.8500 and above is when you should watch for signs of it starting with a throbbing headache,stay hydrated.

Never gotten real sick from mountain sickness but did feel a little light headed this year and the heart raced alittle faster. Looking forward to archery hunt next fall.

From what I read, the fellow who died in Wyoming had serious preexisting medical conditions. But everyone is a little different. I climbed Mt. Adams with a guy from sea level who got floored by a headache around 9,000 feet, even though he was a fairly seasoned climber. I don't think the Black Hills will be a problem for you, but it's fine to take it easy for the first day or so. Main thing is staying in fair cardiovascular shape and not overdo it. Like Dan said, stay hydrated.

I think it's typically at 8 or 9k where people really start to lack oxygen. Moving to lower elevation is always your first line of defense--as you get sick because your body is lacking oxygen--but you should be fine at 5k. Denver is at 5280 and people don't die of altitude sickness there :)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back