All Things Walleye

My favorite method is pitching 1/4 or 3/8 oz. jigs tipped with 3" - 5" plastic. For "lets get some fish for supper now" or searching new water, I like bottom a bouncer with worm harness.

I miss walleyes. I used to fish them alot when I lived in MN, but here, they are just something you catch occaisionally fishing for some other species and most of them have really high mercury levels. When I do find myself on walleye waters in the northeast, my favorite presentation is a swimbait in the 3-5" range, just chugging along past structure.

Bottom bouncer with a 6 ft or so spinner rig tipped with a leach. .7-1.2 mph. Or sometimes whatever speed mother nature thinks you should go, lol.

I've lost my mind. Opening day of general deer and elk rifle season here tomorrow and I've got the boat plugged in, rods rigged, tackle ready. It's walleye for me this weekend....
I’m in the same mind set this year. Hunted early, no reason or desire to shoot a deer. I keep bugging @Steelsearchin about heading to Lake Erie.

Speaking of cranks, which is my favorite method, how do you guys like to set your drag for the most effective hook sets? I'm fairly new to this so bare with me.. At first I had my drag set tight thinking a fish would get hooked good if there was no "play" in the line. After losing several fish doing this, I switched to setting the drags loose, and letting them take a little line at the strike, then tightening the drag before lifting the rod which has worked okay for me. What do you guys do?

One thing I did that has really helped with getting strikes, is made a big spread sheet with all the different baits I run, with depth to line out charts. I had these laminated and keep them in the boat. I have line counters on my reel so I can accurately dial in the depth I'm running the cranks at. I know there is the precision trolling app but I find the spreadsheets allow me to reference the line out needed quicker when running several different baits.
I always set my drags by pulling off about a rods length of line and tugging on the end. The difference pulling that way versus pulling from the reel when you are setting your drag can be big.

Squirrel that’s a cool picture. Someone say walk on water.
Yep I can walk on water but haven figured out how to feed the masses with only 3 Wally... Now I HAVE managed to feed masses their fill of white bass using just 3, usually it takes one bite to get the "I'm full" response!E20C5BC4-ACE3-4734-A74F-AE6D3F2FEF17.jpeg

Well I am a horrible walleye fisherman. You know it's bad when you are trying to catch walleye and end up with lake trout & rainbows?! The Minn Kota Ulterra would not deploy again which resulted in me trolling deep cranks with lead core with the big motor @ 3 MPH. Maybe next weekend I can find the bite.............. maybe

IMG-0577.jpg
IMG-0579.jpg

Well I am a horrible walleye fisherman. You know it's bad when you are trying to catch walleye and end up with lake trout & rainbows?! The Minn Kota Ulterra would not deploy again which resulted in me trolling deep cranks with lead core with the big motor @ 3 MPH. Maybe next weekend I can find the bite.............. maybe

View attachment 199275
View attachment 199276
I suck at fall walleye fishing but I do love catching lakers.

Back