All Llamas Are Not Created Equal

I'll take a horse over a llama any day. I've had the experience of packing elk on llamas and it was more work than it was worth. First off you either need more llamas for the trip or more trips to pack a large animal out. Llamas are weight sensitive in the sense they will lay down if they have to much weight. If llamas work for you great but I've never been impressed. I'll give them credit for being low maintenance.

Hey there squirrel I'm wondering how difficult it is to wrangle a dozen llamas like in your pic? Do the just hang around or do the have to be hobbled at night. What about feed do they just graze on whatever is available or do you have to pack in food for them?
At least with a llama you don't have to worry about having a broken foot if one steps on you like with a horse.

I've been lurking for a bit and this thread got me finally feeling like I had something, maybe, to contribute.

Two seasons ago I was packing out a Muley on my back and realized I didn't have a ton more of these left.
So I started looking into packstock, every thing from goats to mules. I've spent enough time around horses to know I'm not a "horse lifestyle" guy. After almost a year of research I settled on llamas.

After another year of planning, saving, and building, I got my four boys and moved em on to our property.
I'm very new to llamas but really enjoy them so far!

I still have a ton of questions and it looks like several of you are further down the road than I am, but I might also be able to answer a few questions too, as someone who took the leap myself.

I don't think you need a string to save your backs. If you still maintain a fairly lightweight setup 2-3 goats/llamas or one horse would do the trick, especially for deer. Everyone wants to pack in the cots/wall tent, but to do that I think you gotta enjoy the cowboy lifestyle if you want to do it right.

I like how Robby Denning utilizes his ponies. I'd bet his whole camp and gear setup is under 60 pounds.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back