Caribou Gear Tarp

All Diesel Vehicles Stopped!

I see some remarks on this and on other threads about ranchers? Any particular reason why there seems to be resentment towards them?

I don't agree with roadside checks for it. If someone like a gas station clerk reports you, different story.

It would take a special kind of stupid to fill up with dyed at a gas station.

How about those 500 gallon tanks sitting on the ranch full of dyed diesel?

What about it? Is everyone with a 500 gallon tank guilty before proven? But at least they should be under the scrutiny. Maybe the DOT would be better checking those guys though instead of every diesel going down the road.. And yes when you get out of the sticks for a while you will see guys fill up at the pump if you watch close enough. First time I saw it I was a passenger in buddies truck many years ago. I didn't even know what dyed fuel was at that time. He knew a station owner and got away with it. He got busted doing at a place where he didn't know the owner. No clue if he still does it, I never heard of checks around here.

Last edited:
I admit I don't understand all this, but I didn't know you could even buy this S at a gas station. I thought it was delivered to the farm/ranch, in bulk, for use on the property. It is there when people illegally put it in their street vehicles.

I guess I can see it at the local CO-OP but even then you'd have to leave on a public road if you filled your vehicle, as opposed to a tank "on" your vehicle for delivery home.

So how can you buy this at a gas station? Does Farmer Brown drive his tractor to the gas station, fill up, and then go to farming?

I admit I don't understand all this, but I didn't know you could even buy this S at a gas station. I thought it was delivered to the farm/ranch, in bulk, for use on the property. It is there when people illegally put it in their street vehicles.

I guess I can see it at the local CO-OP but even then you'd have to leave on a public road if you filled your vehicle, as opposed to a tank "on" your vehicle for delivery home.

So how can you buy this at a gas station? Does Farmer Brown drive his tractor to the gas station, fill up, and then go to farming?
I buy it now. I bought a diesel tractor and fill 5 gallon jugs and take it back to my land. Loggers have large transfer tanks in the bed to fill their equipment in the woods. Sometimes a logger may fill the transfer tank, and top off the old pickup at the same time. Like I said, I've seen it because I fill up at the pump for my tractor. But again, there's a fine line of reasonable suspicion. Someone mentioned roadside game check stations, ok, if it's in the regs that compliance is required to hold a license so be it. But unless I'm wrong you never forfeit your rights of not being searched without reasonable suspension when you bought a diesel puckup.

James Riley;2539311So how can you buy this at a gas station? Does Farmer Brown drive his tractor to the gas station said:
First of all this dyed diesel thing (We call it off road diesel) is just not an agriculture issue. It is legal for any Diesel engine that is not used on our local, State, or Federal roads. We use 1000's of gallons of dyed diesel every month/year in all our loaders, backhoes, excavators, large air compressors, generators, skid steers, 500,000 BTU frost free heaters etc. etc.

And yes - I can pull my trailer with a 1000 gal tank into a number of gas stations , fill it up with dyed diesel and return to the job site. Generally speaking we have a local distributor deliver to our job sites. Here in Montana the difference is 50 cents per gallon. That price varies from State to State due to the difference in road tax applied by the different States.

Carry on.

Last edited:
I buy it now. I bought a diesel tractor and fill 5 gallon jugs and take it back to my land. Loggers have large transfer tanks in the bed to fill their equipment in the woods. Sometimes a logger may fill the transfer tank, and top off the old pickup at the same time. Like I said, I've seen it because I fill up at the pump for my tractor. But again, there's a fine line of reasonable suspicion. Someone mentioned roadside game check stations, ok, if it's in the regs that compliance is required to hold a license so be it. But unless I'm wrong you never forfeit your rights of not being searched without reasonable suspension when you bought a diesel puckup.

Didn't know about that about filling up at the station. Thanks. I'm pretty remote (ranching and logging country) and the local gas station doesn't have red gas or diesel. People have it delivered in bulk. I have a 300 gallon tank but can't get the dyed stuff because I'm not ag. Anyway, as to the rights issue, I don't think you are forfeiting your rights. I just don't think you have a reasonable expectation of privacy of the inside or your gas tank on a public road.

I understand the sentiment though. Just today I was driving on U.S. 50 west of Pueblo and saw a new pole with solar panels and one of those half-globe things looking down that I think was a camera. Rubs me the wrong way. I always flip those things off just in case someone is watching. Probably not, but it's the thought that counts.

Those damn NCIS shows always have them tracking the perp with technology and half the time they are playing fast and loose with the Constitution, with a wink and a nod. Even though they may lose the case, they deem it more important to get the bad guy. Probably happens in real life with the NSA, etc. Oh well, our kids are gonna have to deal with the real S.

We are starting to look like England. When I see those game cameras in the woods it bugs me. Some guy probably has me taking a S and laughing at it with his buddies. Half the time I'm out there I run around naked as a jay bird. I'm probably on camera for that, too.

Could be government cameras for all I know. And who wants to have sex in the field now, knowing some airman in a cubical is watching and jerking off to drone or satellite footage.

Okay, I'll take off my tin foil hat now.

If ranchers don't want to be stopped and have their fuel checked... lets just get rid of all tax-free fuel. Its just another form of rancher welfare anyway.

Ben Lamb was right and since we can't only check the welfare recipients that receive tax-free diesel, the rest of us get stopped too. Its okay by me because I really hate seeing guys blowing black smoke on the highway, whether its due to ag-fuel or another reason. (PS. I drive an F-250 Powerstroke)

If we love the environment as much as we say we do, we should all be glad the police are working to protect it. Its just airborne litter as far as I'm concerned.

If ranchers don't want to be stopped and have their fuel checked... lets just get rid of all tax-free fuel. Its just another form of rancher welfare anyway.

Ben Lamb was right and since we can't only check the welfare recipients that receive tax-free diesel, the rest of us get stopped too. Its okay by me because I really hate seeing guys blowing black smoke on the highway, whether its due to ag-fuel or another reason. (PS. I drive an F-250 Powerstroke)

If we love the environment as much as we say we do, we should all be glad the police are working to protect it. Its just airborne litter as far as I'm concerned.

"Rolling coal" isn't due to dyed diesel, it's due to being an asshole.

People- loggers for example, construction site supts etc.., put it in their 'slip' tanks in the back of their truck and then take it out to fill equipment. My uncles were loggers when I was a kid. They'd fill up slip tanks at the convenience store in the AM with it and then fill their equipment.

I worked on a ranch as a kid. We had the big 500 gallon ones for tractors and also for running big cummins engines for irrigation on two fields that didn't have electricity.
To be honest, we often crossed the county road ore even ran down it about a 1/4 mile. I supppose that was illegal. Maybe not since it was a tractor. Not sure.

So those that think this is proper, quick question for you....would it be ok for the police to search your cell phone records, all of them, listen in to conversations, drug dealers use cell phones, maybe your dealing drugs on the cell phone, maybe now you can understand my concern, I WAS INNOCENT OF ANY CRIME, yet, I need to prove my innocence, that is not constitutional. Elementary education in the U.S., YOU ARE INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY.

I've got nothing to hide because I'm not doing anything illega. so let them search away.
The OP had done nothing illegal and was sent on his way, I don't see what the problem is. I don't see it being any different that the fruit and vegetable checkpoints on the borders of CA and AZ.

Not a rancher but this is statement is very ignorant. Dyed diesel (tax free) is no more a form of welfare for ag users than any other tax break is. The road taxes imposed on diesel and other gas is to offset costs of building and maintenance of roads. Dyed diesel and other fuel used in off road applications do not impact or affect roads. That usage is not taxed. Sounds more like fair treatment than welfare to me. If I don't use it, I don't pay for it.

Having the appropriate agencies checking to ensure this policy is not abused is not an infringement of constitutional rights any more than being audited by the IRS to ensure conformity to tax laws.

I do say that if DOT can pull in to an ag event and check for dyed diesel in road rigs, it should be legal and common practice for the police to set up sobriety check points close to bars and target the patrons who are driving from those establishments to see if they comply with DUI laws. That would be worthwhile in terms of lives saved and public safety.

I stand corrected. I was under the wrong impression that ag-diesel was less-refined and therefore more polluting than clear diesel. My bad.

I am admittedly anti-farmer welfare (which is so large and ingrained that the entire industry is so subsidized and/or protected by tariffs that it is unrecognizable), but this is not the thread for that discussion.

Just to whip this thread to death, while off road diesel is not less refined it is "more polluting" in that it has much higher amounts of sulphur. The government mandated the reduction of sulphur in on road diesel years ago because of the environmental damage it causes.

Just to whip this thread to death, while off road diesel is not less refined it is "more polluting" in that it has much higher amounts of sulphur. The government mandated the reduction of sulphur in on road diesel years ago because of the environmental damage it causes.

I believe the mandated ULSD date for off-road diesel was a couple of years ago. It's all ULSD now.. Anyhoo, dipping tanks will be a quaint memory before long. With the rapid developments in hybrid, electric, fuel cells, expect road taxes in the future to be figured in a much more "big brotherish" way.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back