Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

All Around Best Option, 18x Binos or Spotting Scope? Only Can Choose One.

Sneakyhunter

I'm looking to invest in some quality optics in the $1,000-$2,000 range and trying to decide which would be the best all around option, a pair of 18x binos or a spotting scope? Will be used for hunting elk, deer, and antelope in various states/terrains, some back country backpacking type hunts but not always. I have a pair of 10x42's that I can use for closer range. I'm looking for quality over quantity, so hoping to just choose one to fit all of my needs, is one more versatile than the other?

I'm looking to invest in some quality optics in the $1,000-$2,000 range and trying to decide which would be the best all around option, a pair of 18x binos or a spotting scope? Will be used for hunting elk, deer, and antelope in various states/terrains, some back country backpacking type hunts but not always. I have a pair of 10x42's that I can use for closer range. I'm looking for quality over quantity, so hoping to just choose one to fit all of my needs, is one more versatile than the other?
I am looking forward to the responses. I have both but just acquired the 18s from someone that won them at an auction. Still trying to figure out which will accompany my 10x42s and tripod on this years hunts. I am a meat hunter more than antlers so I’m leaning towards the 18s but curious others opinions.

I am looking forward to the responses. I have both but just acquired the 18s from someone that won them at an auction. Still trying to figure out which will accompany my 10x42s and tripod on this years hunts. I am a meat hunter more than antlers so I’m leaning towards the 18s but curious others opinions.
Same here, my goal is simply to spot more deer at further distances. I don't need to be able to score the antlers from several miles away, but would like to be able to tell that it's a buck/bull and be able to determine general frame size before committing to closing the distance. Also, if one option causes less eye strain, that would be a plus.

Same here, my goal is simply to spot more deer at further distances. I don't need to be able to score the antlers from several miles away, but would like to be able to tell that it's a buck/bull and be able to determine general frame size before committing to closing the distance. Also, if one option causes less eye strain, that would be a plus.
I can do about 15 minutes behind a spotter before I get pretty miserable. And the lighter package is intriguing to me too.

I can do about 15 minutes behind a spotter before I get pretty miserable. And the lighter package is intriguing to me too.

I'm like you, the spotter gets really tiring after 15-20 minutes. I bought a set of Vortex Diamondback 15x binds this summer to see if I liked them, and after using them I'm about 99% sure I'm going to sell my spotter and 15x binos and pick up a set of 18x Kaibabs. I also got one of those bino eye shields from GoHunt, highly recommend it.

I run 10x42 binos and a spotter out west. If you are ditching the 10x42s and will only use the 18x binos or the spotter I’d go with the 18x binos. Quality of glass being equal in the eval, of course...

I use 10x42s for hiking and glassing and 15x binos on the tripod during extended glassing sessions from one spot. I am not a fan of the spotter. Every time I lug it along it ends up just sitting in my pack 95% of the time, so much so that I just leave it home now. The 15s are good enough for me and much easier on the eyes.

Binos will be easier on the eyes, but for that price I think you would be hard pressed not to get the Swarovski ATS/STS.

This. If you can only have one, pickup a used ATS/STS HD for 1700 +/-. It won’t depreciate a penny.

It’s not just about counting inches, if your a meat hunter. It’s about being able to tell if it’s legal from a long ways away before you bail and spend a full day of your hunt hiking over there.

I only carried a spotting scope when hunting sheep in North America and in Central Asia and Mongolia. Also when long range trophy Mule deer hunting. The rest of the time i got along fine with my Swarovski 10x42 Binos with built in range finder. Otherwise for me, lugging the spotting scope on tough hunts was not worth the few times I wished i had it. Just one old hunters ancient opinion. When it comes to optics quality trumps other considerations. Good luck and kindest regards.

I only carried a spotting scope when hunting sheep in North America and in Central Asia and Mongolia. Also when long range trophy Mule deer hunting. The rest of the time i got along fine with my Swarovski 10x42 Binos with built in range finder. Otherwise for me, lugging the spotting scope on tough hunts was not worth the few times I wished i had it. Just one old hunters ancient opinion. When it comes to optics quality trumps other considerations. Good luck and kindest regards.
I’m going out on a limb, @Happy Myle , and saying that a few guys on here would appreciate a separate thread or two detailing your Asia and NA sheep experiences. Sounds like you’ve hunted some country most of us will only read about. I’m looking forward to your posts, sir.
Back to the original topic.... 😀

My Swaro 15s consistently out spot my Swaro ATS 65 when used head to head, by different people.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back