Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

All Aboarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!

Horn Seeker

The Raghorn Express....
I spent a little time in SW MT the 12-14th... Got this new hunting partner and now she's called Lady Luck... she will answer to Becky though...

We headed in about 3 miles to set camp up that Friday night... Got camp up, Food Hung... and with one hour of light left we grabbed our bows, I through my pack on and told her to leave hers…we wouldn’t be going far. I tossed her headlamp in my pack. We headed over to the food bags and I gave a mew… no answer. Waited 3-4 mins and gave another cow call. Nothing… Didn’t have much to lose, so I pulled out the tube and gave a mellow locator bugle.

After 30 seconds of silence an elk answered about 200 yards up the hill from us. The answer was tough to describe… mix between a cow call and a bugle. I told her it was probably a spike, but that there were certainly other elk up there. The area we hunted is brow-tine bull or antlerless… We were both willing to shoot a cow or a bull!
Anyhow, I whispered that we would close some ground on these elk, get setup, then start a calling sequence… so we started up the hill to put on about 75 yards… after about 10 steps I heard crashing and saw a tan body running through the timber ahead! #^%@$#^#$%#^... Frick. NOT the first time I’ve done that, and it wasn’t the last either! We went ahead and creeped up the hill to where we saw the elk running and stood around whispering about how we blew that opportunity… but that we were still having an awesome first night. After a couple mins of whispering and bantering the quiet was interrupted with a “bark” from about 100 yards in the timber. I jumped… she giggled at me for startling and asked what the heck that was. I explained how it was a bark/alarm call and probably was a cow… and that basically every elk within about a mile radius was now on high alert because of this call. About every 20-30 seconds this elk would bark… I would mew back to it to try and calm it… it continued to bark, maybe 10 times, when I decided to bark back. I had a barking contest with a 5 point bull one time and as I barked at him he slowly approached and barked back at me. I never did get a shot off, but it sure didn’t scare him off…

Anyhow… the next time the elk barked it was noticeably closer… so I started mewing/calf calling again. Becky and I were hunkered pretty close to a bushy fir tree and just smiling and enjoying the acoustical drama… when it barked again and was maybe 65 yards from us right on the timberline of the park we were standing on the edge of. Then he stepped out. I had to raise the binos to see if he was legal (brow-tine) and I quicly determined he was. However, I didn’t get very excited because he was on high alert and still barking… I figured it would be a cold day in hell that he ended up within 30-40 yards of us… which is about what I wanted to shoot.

The next five minutes was great. This Ding dong bull would walk about 10 yards toward us, bark, then turn around and walk to the edge of the timber… stop… bark… then turn and walk towards us… bark… turn around…etc. He probably did this about ten times. We were well hidden behind a tree, that unfortunately blocked any shot opportunity at him! I kept whispering to Lady Luck, that he was way to suspicious… it was highly unlikely he would come far enough to clear himself of the branches of the tree we were behind. Nonetheless… we both knocked arrows and stood stock still to see what would happen…

Then he turned and headed into the meadow like he’d done 10 times before… but this time… he didn’t stop. He kept walking slowly, looking our way. There was a small grove of three trees in the middle of the meadow and he walked behind them. When… IF… he came out, we would have a clear view of him. BUT… he could be anywhere from 35-80 yards away… I was not going to shoot past 50… and Becky would not shoot over 30.

She whispered that he was going to be too far if he appeared from behind the trees. I agreed and she gave me the ok to take the shot if I wanted it. He slowly walked out and at full draw I whispered that he was too far… then I noticed the log laying in the meadow that he was nearly standing on… I had looked at that log for several minutes before he showed himself… and I kept thinking it was about 35 yards… he couldn’t have been 2-4 yards behind the log… I put my finger on the trigger and whispered “or not” to Becky… the bull stopped, I put my 40 pin in the sweet spot and squeezed.

Right in the middle of the above pic, I am standing, barely visible with my arms up in the air. It ended up being 34 yards from where I stood to where the elk was.
The arrow zipped toward him, he “jumped the string”… but not before the arrow got there… then he ran straight away into a patch of timber. Lady Luck smiled and told me I got him. I asked if she was sure and she said, YEAH… you hit him… the arrow hit him in the chest. I immediately started cow calling and threw out a quick bugle to try and calm him. About that time we heard some branches breaking… I called some more. Then we heard the wheezing and coughing… Then silence. We both looked at eachother knowing what that meant and Lady Luck said, “so we have to wait a ½ hour right?”. I explained (as she was FRESH out of bowhunter ed) that yes, that is a very good guideline… and we did NOT want to bump him, but I was pretty dang sure he was dead. However, we would not go running over… I did want to sneak over to where I hit him and look for the arrow. When we got over there I walked around with my eyes to the ground… couldn’t see any arrow or any blood… Then Becky whispered, “He’s right there, I think he’s right there”… She pointed through the trees…

The tan body is BARELY visible through the trees in the middle of this pic.

Sure enough… he had went through a stringer of trees, across the spring, into the next park… then went down.

Looking back to where I shot from. He was standing just on this side of the log… I was just at the edge of the timber.

We headed across the spring… and I got my first good look at my first archery killed elk… This had been a long time coming. I have had a couple screw ups… and hundreds of very close calls… This time it came together. I’ve killed a few nice six points… with a rifle, including an awesome 380 bull… but I am no prouder of any of them than I am this little guy…

As we walked up to him, a red fox scurried up the hill 40 yards away. I don’t know if he happened to just be right there to see that bull tip over or what? But I can imagine the luck he figured he’d run into!! Until we walked up… hehehe
Me and My first Archery Bull….

Different View

Me and Lady Luck… undeniable.

Darkness set in quickly and a pack of wolves started howling to the south. I figured they were a mile away and had no clue what we were doing. It was magnificent… and eery…. At the same time.

I knew I had a bit of work to do, so I got a fire going and Becky collected a pile of wood…

I got a chance to try out the Havalon replaceable blade knife my dad got me for Christmas. I was skeptical… Im not anymore. With about six blades total I dismantled this elk, deboned him and skinned out his head… Loved it. Anyhow, while poking around the insides to see what damage the Muzzy had done… I pulled out a piece of arrow… and a lung…

I also took a moment to get the tenderloins out… Mmmm Hmmm!

And in just a little time… not much was left. We hauled the legs and a couple bags of meat… and head, over to a patch of timber about 100 yards away from the carcass… laid them up on deadfall logs… then piled some dead limbs on top to try and keep them safe for the night.

Then we started on our very short trek back to camp… a mere 350 yards down the draw along the spring!

The moon made an awesome rise over the mountain to the east… Becky’s headlamp to the right….

Some trail mix for dinner… a little water… and in the bags to try and get some rest. We needed to get up early to try and find Lady Luck her own elk! Sleep was fitfull… I was excited. Bulls were bugling around the camp in most directions… I looked at the time… 4am… and a bull was bugling downstream from camp…. C’mon sunrise….

Well... the rest of the weekend was pretty fun... trying to get in on some not so talkative bulls... sitting and calling hoping something would sneak in, but... nothing did! It was a great trip though. Lady Luck's last trip out of the hills Monday was a 77# pack of meat... with NO complaints!!!

Awesome hunting shoes, I was wearing the same ones when I got my bull this year; maybe they're just a lucky elk hunting shoe? Congrats, sounds like lots of fun was had.

As for the shoes... I have worn them all summer... and Becky wore two pair all spring and summer, including her 50K trail run in the Bighorns this year... they are great shoes...

Well done Ernie. Now time to get the Lucky Lady an elk. Thanks for the write-up and pics. Very cool.

I'll be trying Craig.

I bought a pair of Salomon running shoes and hate them... but I also bought the Quest 4d boots and they are treating me well. If its dry, I'll wear my shoes... if wet... I'll go boots.

Back