alaskan caribou

raybow 1

here is a pic of my bou that I harvested in AK with my high country bow!
Barren%20Ground%20Caribou.jpg

mtmiller

That is one sweet 'bou. Hopefully I can hunt them one day. How about a story on the hunt?

Elkhunter

That is a nice looking caribou for sure. How about the story to go with the picture now

Looks like you needed a saddle on that hunt ;)

raybow 1

This one was taken in 98 in Igiagig about 80 miles from Iliamnia. "Don't fault me on the spelling of those two". Anyway this is a small native town bordering the Kwejack river and I was staying at big mountain lodge winterizing their camp for the winter and the trade was all the fishing and hunting I could fit in between! My buddy and I (who is a guide at the lodge)went out that day to spot a few migrating critters and see if we could intercept their flight pattern for a chance at harvesting one with my bow! We spotted a couple of loners coming our direction so we positioned along one of the streams where cover was abundant. We were on a pretty well used migration route and knew most of them were crossing within spitting distance of this spot. I watched them come across two miles of tundra before they would get close enough for a shot. This big boy was in the lead and not wasting any time. I was hunkered behind a small tree and some brush when he crossed the creek into range. I had my high country bow at full draw before he even broke the hill in front of me. It has a 65% let off so it's not too difficult to hold for a couple minutes. I waited patiently as he crossed in front as me at 30+ yards and took the quartering away shot. He broke on impact and only made it 25 or 30 yards before dropping! I had no idea it was as big as it was until Gordy told me it was a dandy and would make Pope and Young! The official score ended up at 408-2/8. Not bad for my first and only one! (What luck)!!! That's ok cause all of my game has taken a little luck :D

Tom

That is awesome. It looks real open there in the picture but the creek, tree and bush, must be nearby somewhere. Its really awesome looking!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-20-2002 10:15: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Moosie

Grand poopa
RAYBOW, looking back through some posts.. WOW, Fetching Nice 'bou !!!!

I sure as Heck don't see any cover from the Picture you took. I'm thinknig about bringing the Bow, Did you guys pack BAckup Rifles with ya ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbl-Lung