Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Alaska Vacation

802flyfish

My wife & I are heading to Alaska the Last week of August for two weeks. This will be our first time to Alaska so we want to plan accordingly. We will be flying into Anchorage then will be renting a sprinter van for the majority of the trip.

We want to fish at least a 3-4 days, might hire a guide for at least one of those days. Besides that, we don’t have a set itinerary.

Potential places to visit:

Valdez
Denali
Chugach
Kenai Fjords
Cooper Landing
Ketchikan
Mckinley State Park
Fair Banks

Any recommendations ?

Last edited:
You're going to be busy driving! Forget Ketchikan unless you're hopping on a plane. Also, that time of year a lot of places are going to be closing down for winter shortly. The Covid thing is stopping quite a bit of fun for visitors right now. Plan wisely and enjoy Alaska!

You're going to be busy driving! Forget Ketchikan unless you're hopping on a plane. Also, that time of year a lot of places are going to be closing down for winter shortly. The Covid thing is stopping quite a bit of fun for visitors right now. Plan wisely and enjoy Alaska!
Yes, when I was in Ketchikan before this covid plague, it was a bustling little town while the cruise ships were in port but as soon as they left the whole town folded up regardless of what time it was. No cruise ships = CLOSED

My wife & I are heading to Alaska the Last week of August for two weeks. This will be our first time to Alaska so we want to plan accordingly. We will be flying into Anchorage then will be renting a sprinter van for the majority of the trip.

We want to fish at least a 3-4 days, might hire a guide for at least one of those days. Besides that, we don’t have a set itinerary.

Potential places to visit:

Valdez
Denali
Chugach
Kenai Fjords
Cooper Landing
Ketchikan
Mckinley State Park
Fair Banks

Any recommendations ?
I was a big fan of Jason north of Anchorage near Willow. https://www.alaskalakesguideservice.com/

I fished with a couple other guides up there and wasn't thrilled.

I've been to AK quite a few times. My suggestion would be to set up somewhere and get out and enjoy things, rather than spending too much windshield time.
I'd probably go to a lodge of some type that could set you up with many different activities; whale watching, bear viewing, fishing, float trips, etc.

AK feels so much bigger when you get there. If you said you were taking a 2-wk vacation to visit the southeastern US, you’d maybe want to pare it down to a few highlights in 1-2 states rather than fan out over the whole region.

That being said, Denali is amazing. I’d suggest spending a few days in that area, and maybe settle in to another area to do some sightseeing and fishing where you don’t have to do a ton of driving around.

Depends on what type of fishing you plan do to but if your in Valdez, you can pull off the road around Allison Point and fish for pink salmon. Not sure exactly when that run is over but you may be able to hit the tail end and get into some fish. Pick up a copy of the Highway Angler off Amazon for a run down of all the fishing to be had from the road system. Definitely worth the $30.
Unless you are a big fan of driving, that is a fair amount of windshield time. If you run down to Seward and stop in Girdwood either down or back, The Double Musky is a good place to eat though pricey. From Seward to Valdez is a solid 8 hour drive if you don't stop but you will want to, often. The Glen hwy is very scenic so lots of good photo ops if the weather cooperates.
Valdez is a nice little town and if charter fishing is on your to do list, there should be plenty opportunities. From Valdez, if you go up Hwy 4 to Fairbanks, that's another good 8 hours. Not sure of your rental agreement, but if it doesn't specify anything about off pavement driving, the Denali highway runs ~130 miles from Paxson to Cantwell. Excellent fishing to be had along there. Maclaren River Lodge is a decent place for refreshments and good place to stay overnight if you're so inclined. Pretty decent fishing around if you don't mind walking a bit. If not, Delta Clearwater a few minutes from Delta Junction is a good fishing spot. Its better with a boat or canoe but I did good in waders.
Fairbanks area is one of my favorite places. The Santa Clause house in North Pole is a popular spot and if you get out towards Fox, the Howling Dog Saloon is a colorful spot for a cocktail. The Silver Gulch, across the street is a brewery with some decent beers. Food and service can be hit or miss, at least that's been our experience the last few years. We usually end up at Ivory Jacks down the road, better food and service, IMO.
If you drop down Parks Hwy towards Denali, a stop at 49th State brewery in Healy is worth the time. Its only about a half hour before Mckinley Park. If your time allows, a stop in Talkeena is another fun little town.
Of course there are streams all along and that's where the Highway angler comes in handy. Keep in mind that it can start to get chilly late august/early september, especially in the interior.

Late August or September is the best time to visit AK. Hunting seasons will be going so make time to go visit Lake Hood or Merrill field when you are in ANC and watch the bush planes come in and out. Schedule a flight seeing your if you can. It looks way different from the air. The Silvers will be in the streams and they are my favorite salmon to fish for!

If you are lucky timing wise and coho are biting surface flies trolled behind a boat, I wouldn’t miss the opportunity. I used to ‘hunt” them that time of year and if you get into them it will be a fantastic experience!

I agree with Gellar, Coho (Silver) fishing is way more fun than waiting around for a big king, and you should be able to find plenty.

Last edited:
Plus one on the silvers BUT rainbows, char, Grayling and dollies are in the midst of a feeding frenzy at that time. Epic fishing at that time of year.

I don’t know what the tides are like that time of year, but, one of my fondest memories (and least expensive)of Alaska is razor clam digging. Shovels are around to rent, two of us dug 90 in 90 minutes. I think we were near Ninilchik.

We had a blast digging clams in that area back around 2007. Sadly our last trip to the Kenai a year or two back had a moratorium on clam digging, unless you took a boat trip. Check the rules to make sure all is legal before heading out. The good thing is there's still plenty to do and see in AK.

I'd spend some time on the Kenai Peninsula, fish out of either Seward or Homer. Then make the trek up to Denali. Denali is one of my favorite places on the planet. I'm not sure there is as much to see in Fairbanks as other places. If I were to spend two weeks in AK, it would be spent between the Kenai and Denail. LOTS to see in that stretch of AK.

But full disclosure, I lived in North Pole and worked in Fairbanks while I was up there. So my adventures all consisted of venturing to the other parts of the state. Fairbanks is cool, but i'd add another week or two if you want to see it "all".

Last edited:
if your into flyfishing it is a good time of year for Coho, halibut and rockfish is still going steady that time of year, and trolling for winter kings is also a fantastic option. but make sure every place your planning to visit is still open. we closed down our Inn and rental cabins in Halibut Cove for the summer due to covid concerns, (i have family in the Ultra High Risk group).

We plan on doing 1 or two guided float trips on the Kenai River, then I'll most likely fish for Silvers / Trout for the rest of the trip. Never caught a Silver before but it looks like fun. I purchased the 2020 Milepost on Amazon, but people are charging $80.00 plus for the 6th edition of the Highway Angler..

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back