Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Alaska poacher

it is a residency thing.
The guy grew up in fairbanks. It is a sticky thing.

Lot of this crap going on all over the US. As tags become harder to get, people will falsify their residencies to cheat the system in every way possible.

This is only the tip of the iceberg of people who do this. He was just one of the few who get busted for it.

I knew a bunch of pipeliners who claimed residency in South Dakota and Wyoming, and they only held a PO box there. I am unaware if either of them were hunters, but they were claiming residency there (for obvious reasons) and hadn't stepped foot in the state for years.

it is a residency thing.
The guy grew up in fairbanks. It is a sticky thing.
Not sticky at all.

1.The rules of residency are clear. If you are educated enough to get your pilot's license, you can read and understand the regs.
2.You are not charged with hunting without a license due a "residence thing".
3. As @manitou1 said, this guy obviously had the money to play by the rules.

Greed + Money = Stupidity! Only gives us ethical hunters and sportsmen a bad name!

Ask my wife why (rich or powerful) men act badly. She will say, "Because they can".

How much power and privilege is enough to allow this? Being Hobbesian, I would say each to the degree they can get away with.

Not sticky at all.

1.The rules of residency are clear. If you are educated enough to get your pilot's license, you can read and understand the regs.
2.You are not charged with hunting without a license due a "residence thing".
3. As @manitou1 said, this guy obviously had the money to play by the rules.
it is sticky. He owns a house in fairbanks in chena marina where his hangar is at. He spends 80 percent of his time in fairbanks. And he was raised in Fairbanks.All the taxidermy done had to have his tags attached. Doesnt matter where you in incorporate your business at. Maybe you all should be worried about the government coming in and taking everything you own with out due process. He was charged and personal property taken, his girlfriend was held at gun point. Without due process. So all of you who have convicted him because the government says so, better be looking at your ass.

I am going a step further, I helped skin one of his grizzlies, two years ago. He was a resident, had all the resident tags, issued by Alaska state troopers. Maybe you all perfect people should shut up before you pass judgement, because it might be you.

Ask my wife why (rich or powerful) men act badly. She will say, "Because they can".

How much power and privilege is enough to allow this? Being Hobbesian, I would say each to the degree they can get away with.
no power and privalage. You are supposedly open minded, And maybe "conservative" --- you know limited goverment.... maybe

Greed + Money = Stupidity! Only gives us ethical hunters and sportsmen a bad name!
and you are ethical? Until they show up.. At least have it go to trial until you have everything taken without due process. You all pretend to be conservative and this great hunting community. You do realize they will do this to you, He aint a bad guy and did nothing wrong

glad after eighteen years , i left Idaho.... welcome colo, calirodao. Maybe buzz will help you right in

Was he claiming residency in CA too? The article does not say if he was. I guess if he is claiming residency in 2 states his ass is toast. And 3 different wildlife agencies were involved here so it appears from a high level that something isn’t right with what he was doing but he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

it is sticky. He owns a house in fairbanks in chena marina where his hangar is at. He spends 80 percent of his time in fairbanks. And he was raised in Fairbanks.All the taxidermy done had to have his tags attached. Doesnt matter where you in incorporate your business at. Maybe you all should be worried about the government coming in and taking everything you own with out due process. He was charged and personal property taken, his girlfriend was held at gun point. Without due process. So all of you who have convicted him because the government says so, better be looking at your ass.
Well hello there. This due process you speak of, what is that and how defined in the U.S. Constitution?
Let’s begin with a quote from this story:

“On March 6, Alaska Wildlife Troopers served a search warrant at Currier’s residence and aircraft hangar in Fairbanks, where they seized his aircraft.”

4th Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

5th Amendment: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

So wait then… due process in the 5th Amendment is a trial or some legal proceedings in a court of law. The 4th Amendment is descriptive in the manner in which a limited warrant shall be issued upon probable cause.
It would appear then that authorities across multiple jurisdictions built a compelling investigation on Currier that passed muster for a judge to agree probable cause extant, sign off on a warrant. Mr. Currier shouldn’t claim grievances yet as legal agents have done everything by the book in this investigation. Mr. Currier could perhaps humble himself with the philosophy of karmic FAFO and try to be a better man after this.

Welcome to HT!

and you are ethical? Until they show up.. At least have it go to trial until you have everything taken without due process. You all pretend to be conservative and this great hunting community. You do realize they will do this to you, He aint a bad guy and did nothing wrong
Who said we are all this?

Welcome to HT

pretty easy to determine this by the state's rules:

3 second search found this:

To obtain a resident hunting license in Alaska, individuals must12:
  • Be a resident of Alaska for a minimum of 12 consecutive months before applying.
  • Provide a valid Alaska driver’s license or state ID.
  • Have lived in Alaska for a minimum of 12 consecutive months prior to applying for a license.
  • Have the intent to remain in Alaska and renounce residency in any other state.
All Alaska residents ages 18 to 59 years must have a resident hunting license3. Additional tags, stamps, or permits may be required. Residents age 60 or older must have a permanent identification card3.

I believe Jim Shockey turned down a great tag he was issued in his home Province of British Columbia, in Canada. I recall their residency rules needed him to be in BC at least 6 months of the year. Due to his international hunts he had been away that year for more than the 6 months and was no longer considered a B.C. resident. I believe he turned the tag back knowing his conundrum.

we will see what plays out I guess.......

He aint a bad guy and did nothing wrong
You know him personally, so it's not surprising that you have that opinion. However, professional wildlife management law enforcement officials from California F&G, Alaska F&G, and Montana FWP obviously disagree with you. As pointed to above, the basis for their actions was lawful warrants ... not merely opinion(s).

Anyhow, welcome to HT. Your upcoming posts may likewise generate some lively discussion. :)

Damm right I am! We’ll let the courts decide is fate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back