Alaska Nonres Sheep

For those interested. Implementation of Proposal 51 (sharing bag limit for guide required animals) will be delayed 2 years according to the final findings of the Board of Game. They want time to implement a program for tracking, review the current harvest rates, and see what will really become of this new regulation.

Sorry, spring break family plans prevented me from answering sooner.

Someone's fishing. ;)

A bit, but it's true. How many people apply for sheep, which is one of our most limited big game resources and one that has much room to grow, yet don't even send in an annual membership check to their local organization?

The number one reason for declining sheep is weather. Can't fix that... next is dependent on range, its either predators (recent newcomers aka coyotes, wolves and eagles) or avalanches (Chugach range). Pretty sure we kill more predators via trappong and have more controversial predator managment programs than all the lessor 48 combined, and we're not going to start an avalanche program anytime soon.

There are definitely things that could be done to improve numbers, but not softball simple like installing a guzzler, or transplanting sheep. Good luck finding a herd we can pull surplus sheep from in AK... they're not even doing well in National Parks. A future study is going to look at the differences in herd dynamics between NP and open hunting areas.

We can cut NR harvest and put more sheep on the mountain in one year than any lesser 48 sheep managment program has ever done. By having more mature rams on the mountain we may get higher pregnancy rates and possibly better winter survival. We need go take a serious look at what the FC rule has done to the population instead of relying on a 30 year old study. The age at harvest is now the lowest in history. I find it odd that it mirrors the population trend, but I'm not a bio.

No doubt the sheep issues in AK are much different than those in the lower 48. But as you recognize, there are things that can be done to better inform the management decisions being made in the state.

Does Alaska have the money to conduct survey flights on all of their sheep herds every year? Do they do so? If not, maybe your local organization can raise the funds necessary to conduct such surveys.

How old is the sheep management plan your state is using to manage sheep? Perhaps your local organization can raise the funds necessary to help the state write a new management plan.

Perhaps your local organization can do what is necessary to protect your herds from the primary issue negatively impacting sheep herds in the lower 48.

Currious, with the make more sheep remark. How many states have thriving sheep popoulations? For as many orgs as we have, there must be a shinning example (I can take pot shots as well.)

How many people are supporting those organizations? Working to make more sheep does not have to involve supporting an organization.

It can mean writing effective comment letters on land use plans and grazing analyses.

It can mean insisting that your local public land mangers use the best available science to conduct those analyses.

It can mean expressing to your elected officials that you believe wild sheep should take precedence over domestic sheep in current and historical habitats on public lands.

It can mean insisting that your state wildlife managers put wildlife interests ahead of the interests of the state ag industry.

And if you're not willing to do those things, the very least you can do is scratch a check once a year to the group in your state that is doing those things.

And the orgs are making a difference. For example, Wyoming WSF has spent approximately $2 million to incentivize retirement, conversion, or other alterations to domestic sheep grazing allotments near their core herd areas in the NW part of the state. They currently have only 1 or 2 remaining allotments of concern. Of that $2 million, approximately $700,000 was "sheep" money. The rest came from other sources such as NWF.

Idaho and UT have also incentivized retirement or conversion of numerous allotments in their states. Idaho transplanted sheep into a mountain range after retiring the last allotment of concern, and that herd has grown to approximately 350 sheep the last I heard (brymoore may have better info, my memory is sketchy).

Colorado is actively working on 7 ongoing grazing analyses and 5 land use plan revisions. They have insisted that the agencies use the best available science to analyze grazing renewals, which has resulted in the vacating of one critical allotment and the current proposal to vacate 4 more critical allotments.

Fixing sheep problems takes a lot of time and a lot of money. It is not going to be done overnight, and only recently has the science and the judicial system become favorable for ensuring that decisions are made in favor of bighorn sheep over domestic sheep. So you can sit there and make your jabs about nothing being accomplished, while men resolve the problems that were created by men.

Meanwhile, we will continue to have this:
Jan. 5, 2016

I wanted to give you a heads up that we have confirmed a respiratory disease related die-off of bighorn sheep in the lower Owyhee Canyon. To date we have detected Mycoplasma ovipneumonia (M.ovi) in 6 samples, 3 from hunter harvested sheep and 3 from sick or dead sheep collected in the field. Positive samples have come from both sides of the canyon from Hole in the Ground to Leslie Gulch. We have observed and had reports of numerous other sick and dead sheep in the area and a recent helicopter survey observed 50-60% fewer bighorns than expected. It appears this a fairly significant all age class mortality event.

Genetic sequencing of M.ovi from the first dead ram indicated that this this strain of M.ovi is not the same strain previously detected in the Rattlesnake (OR) and Santa Rosa (NV) herds. This strain is has not been previously detected in wild sheep and is most likely related to recent domestic sheep contact. However we did not have any reports of contact between domestic and wild sheep in the area. A December 2012 capture and testing of 20 sheep from Leslie gulch and Birch Creek did not detect exposure to M.Ovi.

At this point there is not much we can do other than monitor the situation. We are planning more frequent aerial surveys over the next few months and plan to capture and radio mark some sheep next winter to better monitor movements, ongoing mortality, lamb survival etc.
There are two BLM permittees that graze in the vicinity of Leslie Gulch and Owyhee Reservoir. One has a series of allotments along the Idaho/Oregon border in Idaho with private lands on Mahogany Mountain in Oregon. Mahogany Mountain is very close to Leslie Gulch. Idaho BLM issued a decision two years ago to phase out domestic sheep grazing on one of the allotments (Rockville) during a permit renewal process for that allotment. The remaining allotments have not been analyzed at that time.

The other permittee trails sheep along the west side of Owyhee Reservoir to other allotments to the west and south of the reservoir in Oregon.

Funny how the allocation argument/jab is only valid in Alaska, whereas every other state already has a quota set with the lions share going to residents.
I wasn't making a jab at Alaska residents wanting the lion's share of the quota. I support that notion for the residents of all states. However, since this issue seems largely about limiting the opportunities of more successful hunters to no real benefit for less successful hunters (since NR are already limited in the draw areas), I would liken it to us in Colorado limiting the number of backcountry hunters in hopes of making the road hunters more successful. ;)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back