Yeti GOBOX Collection

Alaska Moose Trip Report - DM920

Excellent write up! A couple of questions if you have time. Which U-haul place did you rent from in Fairbanks? Did you get a van or a box truck? I'm going for a late August 2020 Caribou hunt on the haul road and need a way to get up there that doesn't cost 150/day. Plan on taking a pack-raft to cross the Sag and then hiking in as far as needed. I keep hearing that the tussocks are bad. I just got back from 20 days of humping the Colorado mountains for elk in September, but everything I read is that the tundra will kick your butt hiking. Do you think 1 mile per hour is doable? I'm in excellent hiking shape.

I'd like to Moose hunt next year also, but I'm having a difficult time deciding where to hunt. Having never been that far north I don't know what legal access there is. I'm leaning towards Units 20 and 25 that don't have any antler point restrictions. If you read some of the other internet forums, everyone talks about doing it DIY but that involves a $6000 bush flight package. I know that most Alaskans have boats or aircraft but I'm sure some harvest moose the old fashioned way, on foot. How did you determine that the old mining roads you were hunting were not private property? I've gleaned over BLM maps but keep coming up empty, onX seems to be somewhat limited also. Any advice you can give me is much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

We got a 15' box truck (we reserved a 10', but they didn't have any available when we arrived, so they upgraded us to the 15'). We picked it up at the Uhaul place nearest to the airport (2 or 3 miles at most). I think our total cost for the Uhaul (including gas and mileage) was about $1k for 8 days and ~700 miles.

You can probably sustain 1 mph if you don't break your ankles - apparently the trick is to not think or look any further ahead than the next step. Thinking ahead leads to disappointment and looking ahead leads to stumbling around, wasting more energy.

We saw a fair number of trucks parked along the roads and I assume they were hunters on foot, but the successful hunters we talked to were mostly flown-in and/or floated/jet-boated a river. If/when I go again, I think a float trip where an outfitter drops me off somewhere and picks me up a few days downriver would be the way to go and not super expensive. We used a couple different apps (not OnX, although I'm sure they use the same info) that show land ownership. Almost everything along the haul road is BLM and open to the public, I can't speak for other areas.

Double check the regs, I think almost everywhere in AK is point-restricted or minimum width-restricted for non-residents, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for the response! There are a few units that are any bull that are in NE/Central Alaska.

Back