MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Alaska moose - OYOA style

I think that would be the pinnacle of OYOA hunting and would love to see that show.

That being said, I would say no if it would affect the quality of the hunts (break the budget) for the rest of the season.

I think this would be a great idea. As many others here, this would be my dream hunt, and it would be nice to get an idea on how to go about planning this hunt. I think a CD or something with more info than can be given in the show would be good too.
Many people on this site regularly hunt in areas with bears, but I do not. It would be helpful for me to have something in there about the things people need to do to avoid bears and what is typically done to keep them away from a harvested animal and/or your camp. This may be common knowledge to many, so maybe this would be something for the CD rather than the show. Alaska may have some of its own safety items (other than bears) that may also be useful to put in there.

i would like to see that as well as an archery whitetail public land hunt in the midwest somewhere its a big challenge and i would like to see what tactics you would employ to do it.
thanks

I think it would make a great episode. You just have to be up front with people about the cost so they know if its within their budget, if not everyone likes to dream.

Randy,

I'm pretty sure you can do it, and be right in the middle of the best moose hunting in AK.

Btw, would it be 1 tag or 2 tags you'd be trying to fill?

I'm confused... You hunt all other states on "the line" but AK should be treated on a different level?

I've done 3 moose hunts that the total price hasn't topped $3500 combined. Course my "research" doesn't include retail prices as advertised on the net. I'd much rather hunt around Cantwell than drop $4500-5000 on a stupid moose hunt.

Why does it have to be once in a lifetime? Spend half as much and go twice?

The "Alaska experience" is a joke. There is no place in this state you can get away from other
hunters. Book a flight with an air taxi and you're hunting their area that's been scouted or hunted, at least with hunting off the road (aka Camtwell) its hunting on your own.

Stay true to your roots!

Last edited:
For each individual it's different. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'm sure I'd have ways to do moose hunting on the cheap, and have a good rate of success. One of the benefits of being local. I have the same local advantage down where I live. Granted it takes me jumping my boat that cost me 40k to safely get into remote areas where few humans tread, so I'm not sure I'm coming out ahead in the end of the guys who pay an air charter to get into the remote areas. Not to mention slip fees, maintenance,etc.

But, when it comes to moose hunting, I don't have the ability to scout, I don't have a vehicle, and I have no local knowledge. I like to do my hunts in areas that can only be accessed through a transporter, and my "scouting" comes from talking to area Bios, maps, the ADFG website, and whatever info I can glean off the 'net. Through a transporter I know I can get into areas where I know planes won't be circling game, 4 wheelers won't be running by, outfitters won't be competing with me, and the sight of another group will be a welcome sight, not competition. Well worth the cost for me, and what I look for when I take time off from work to go hunting.

I feel that it's still hunting on your own, if you pay a transporter to take you to a spot you researched too. I don't see Randy departing from his roots one bit.

Go for it Randy. This would be a big change from your norm on the show. I am planning a moose/caribou DIY in the next couple of years. Will be flying up with my plane. Should be an adventure. It would be great to see how you do it first before I go.

I'm confused... You hunt all other states on "the line" but AK should be treated on a different level?

I'm confused :D.

Really, not sure what you mean when you say, on "the line."

I've done 3 moose hunts that the total price hasn't topped $3500 combined. Course my "research" doesn't include retail prices as advertised on the net.

That does not surprise me, given the knowledge you have, how committed you are to getting into the good places, and you being a recent resident. How many of those three hunts were done while you lived in MT or on the east coast? I've done moose and brown bear for less than that cost, combined. But, my research was with the benefit of residents who hunt it every year, who met me there with lots of transportation gear. This hunt is not going to use that advantage, as I don't expect viewers to have the same local connections that save cost for you and me.

Some might be thinking that you just drive and take all the gear and ATVs, etc. you can load in a truck. Might work for those who have liberal vacation time and kitchen passes. For most guys, they don't have the vacation time from work and family to allocate to driving to Alaska. From my home in Bozeman to Fairbanks, we are talking a 5,000 mile round trip. And, I live closer to AK than most people on this site.

That means at least 3 days each way towing a trailer of gear, if you rotate drivers, drive hard, and don't have any major mechanical issues, or the standard course of three flat tires on the way. This is not 5,000 interstate miles and you have the headaches and hassles of the border crossings into Canada each way.

Most guys are not able to take one week of their vacation, just to get there. They are better off to fly, if they can, and use a transporter. Even though driving and hunting from your rig allows you to bring a lot more gear.

For those of you that have that benefit, driving up with a trailer full of gear and hunting as Bambi says, is probably a better option for saving costs. And, if you can go every few years, you will learn the areas better and your likelihood of success will increase. If we do this episode, we will not gear it toward those who have tons of vacation time, but for those who not only have limited financial budgets, but limited budgets with their time away from family and work.

Why does it have to be once in a lifetime? Spend half as much and go twice?

It doesn't. Agreed. If I can do it for half as much, I will. And if I can go more than once, I surely will, even if i can't get it to half the price.

I would love for guys to go every few years. Going more than once is probably the best thing, as with all trips to new places for new critters, the first trip is probably more education than anything. The followup trips are always more successful.

Hope we can show enough about this kind of a trip that people can have less of a learning curve on their first trip and hopefully higher likelihood of success.

The "Alaska experience" is a joke. There is no place in this state you can get away from other
hunters. Book a flight with an air taxi and you're hunting their area that's been scouted or hunted, at least with hunting off the road (aka Camtwell) its hunting on your own.

The "Alaska Experience" is not a joke to me. It is the most vast and wild place I have had the benefit of hunting. Yet, I have never flown, floated, or driven to a place in Alaska where I got away from everyone. Even seeing these other hunters, the experience itself was something special.

Each has their own definition of the "Alaska Experience." To me, seeing very few hunters, having millions of acres of roadless ground, being away from every modern convenience of electricity/phone/email, knowing there are animals I cannot hunt in the lower 48, and knowing what you brought with you is what you have to make due with, are the parts of the Alaska Experience that I look for. Hard for me to find that in even the most remote places of Montana.

My family that lives there thinks its crowded if we see three other boats float by moose camp over the ten or twelve days we are there. Me, I think it is crowded if I hike into the AB Wilderness and see three other guys that day. Back east, some may think it is crowded because when the sun comes up, they can see three other guys in tree stands less than a quarter mile away. The same goes with each persons different definition of the "Alaska Experience."

I was careful in my post to not say you would "Not see another hunter." You bring up a good point that I should have emphasized. Guys need to understand that you will most likely see other hunters, though far fewer than most other places you hunt. If you have your own plane and know a lot about where to go, you might get away from everyone. I have went through some rather complicated logistics in my Alaska hunts, and have yet to have a hunt where I did NOT see another hunter.

I have hunted the Cantwell area, and have flown and floated to more remote areas. The level of hunting traffic is very different. Not saying you can't have a great successful hunt in areas like Cantwell, I just think it is harder for the non-resident to do it; to come prepared with all the transportation equipment you see locals using there. And the pressure they would experience is probably higher than what they want if they go through all the logistics of a hunt like this.

Like the Alaska Experience, each has their own definition of "On Your Own" hunting. I booked a flight with an air taxi for bear hunts, and I think I did that scouting on my own - both from my desk, and once I got there. Transporters are not allowed to scout for you, unless they are also a licensed guide. They go out of their way to make it very clear that they are only transporting. If some feel that hiring a transporter is not "On Your Own" hunting, fine with me.

Stay true to your roots!

Agreed. Your comments here cause me think harder to make sure we do that and that we put ourselves in the shoes of the average viewer who dreams of this idea, but currently feels it is impossible for them. Trying to do that by showing guys there are a lot of other options for AK moose, besides buying Powerball tickets. ;)

I'm confused :D.

Really, not sure what you mean when you say, on "the line."

I'm just an argumentative d-bag at times (all the time)... :D

What I was getting at was your emphasis on hunting and having a good time, not making sure you kill something. I just read something you posted the other day, I think it was about your AZ hunt last year? Don't recall for sure, but you said something to the effect that you knew you'd be hunting in a very difficult area, with lots of pressure, lots of private and very low chance of success, easy to draw tag, but at least you're hunting. This seems to be your style, as it is with me. I know you've mentioned it many times over on your program and here. Why not treat AK the same? Maybe do two hunts? A fly in moose and caribou or bear off the road?

I think part of my problem is I that I'm an eternal optimist, and only look at problems with a solution in mind. Everything can be summed up no matter what it is with the adage of its only "time and money" given enough of either and you can make anything happen.

As a matter of fact I was going to come and hunt up here while I lived on the east coast, but decided to move up here instead. I have connections up here and had it figured out to be around $2500 for a fly in moose hunt. You nailed it about the air taxi vs the outfitter. One you'll pay through the nose for, the other is by the hour...

There is a hell of a lot of area up here on the road system that sees very few people. Even the most popular areas see fewer hunters than most of the drainage's south of Bozeman during elk season. Heck I go to CO to see fewer elk hunters.

Moose would be a little more challenging for most because of the distance you would need to carry one to get away from the crowds. Fly in hunts are not gimmes, and you're stuck hunting a small area, better hope there are moose around...

IMO the Alaska experience is no different than the Montana experience, or the Colorado experience... Its about getting out and enjoying it.

You're 100% right about the cost and living here, but at the same time I've many connections all over the place, anyone can do the same. Just the other day I offered a moose hunt for a whitetail hunt. You can't believe some of the offers that came in. :D

You're far more trusting of pilots than anyone I've ever talked to, including pilots... Those guys don't take you to areas that are devoid of game unless you specifically ask them to put you somewhere. If you get flown in, they're dropping you off in an area where they know there's game. Its been spotted either recently or in the past. They don't fly with blinders on.

How ever you decide to do it, it will make a heck of a show. Hell, you can hunt moose from my front door on an OTC permit if you want. Might not kill one, but you could do it with airfare, tags and taxi ride to my house for about $1000. Shoot come 4 times, and I'm sure you'd kill something on one of those trips. Packing one out 6-10 miles might not be too fun, but I didn't say it'd be easy. There's a good trail though. :D

Scouting? The last animal I scouted was a deer I shot when I was 16.

I would seriously consider doing a float hunt for moose and if you want to hunt caribou at the same time, that can be done too. I've done a few floats over the years and the most expensive hunt cost me and my pard $3500 each. We had a great time, didn't see any other hunters and took 1 decent bull. My buddie could have taken a nice bull well over 60" but it was at the beginning of the hunt, it was warm and he was worried about the meat spoiling.

If I were a non-resident coming to Alaska for a moose hunt, there's no way I would do a drop off hunt without the ability to float and see new country. You might want to give Larry Bartlett @ Pristine Ventures a call or contact him through his website. He would be more than willing to talk to about logistics and costs for doing a float hunt up here.

http://www.pristineventures.com/forum/board.html

Go for it!

Randy,
I think that seing an AK moose or 'bou hunt would be awesome. I think it's definately something that alot of us OYOA watchers would love to be able to do one day, and also something attainable in that price range. Aside from the fact that I know the episode would be awesome to watch and very informative, as all of yours are, I think it would be an awesome experience for you. IMHO anyone who passes a chance to hunt in AK is crazy!!!:D

I pretty much assume hunting Alaska is on the bucket list of most hunters in the lower 48 as it is for me. There's no other show that gives the on your own hunter as much educational and useful information as OYOA. Randy, we need you to continue broadening the scope of whats available to the American hunter, and that includes more in Alaska!

Randy, you need to do the fly in drop hunt. Much more interesting to watch than a road hunt. You need to show the world how it is done.

My first AK moose (as a WA resident) cost me tag/license fees, a bigger bone saw, fuel to/from hunt site (from Anchorage) and some extra game bags. Work paid me to bring up my pickup for the summer/fall, and I borrowed Dad's canoe for that timeframe. That bull dried out to 69" wide - he was kissing 70" green, older than dirt, heavy as hell, and tough as nails. Wife and I packed and paddled for 2.5 days straight to get him out. Haven't seen one like him (in the field) since. Probably never will, unless I feel led to hunt the Koyukuk or Innoko.

Second AK moose (as AK resident) cost me license fee, fuel to/from hunt site from Anchorage, and a fraction of my Pro Pioneer amortized over three moose hunts and two sheep hunts ($2800/5). That bull was a bowl-racked youngster with long palm tines and has since dried to 54" wide. I packed the boat and camp inland for 3 days, packed moose (solo) for one solid day, and floated out for 9 hours.

Third AK moose cost me license fee, fuel to/from hunt site, PP fraction, and 1/4 of $6000 of dehavilland rental. That bull was a fugly 60" skinny racked older bull. I'm not choosy when I'm on a hunt with out-of-staters, and the skinny rack threw off their spread estimate. I wasn't bound to that, and was next boat downriver, so I shot. Moose died a solid shot put from the river. This was the least fun of all four moose hunts.

Fourth AK moose - see second AK moose, but he dried out at 58", and I only had to pack moose for half a day. I was farther upriver, though (more work getting in), and floated out for 12 hours.

Put a friend's kid on a walk-in caribou this fall. A little research and you can drive to the trailhead. Once you're five miles in, all signs of humans disappear into the myriad caribou trails. We only had a day and a half to hunt - a week would have been a hoot, but plan on 2 days of hard packing (solo) if you get one.

I went back to the hole from which moose #1 died two seasons later and struck out. That dropped my moose batting average to .800.

You're going to pay one way or another, in money or sweat. Likely both. A solo moose is brutal, no way around it. My Moose #2 and #4 spot has been found out, and I can't see going back in there without a willing packer (there's one out-of-the-way drainage where I doubt anyone's ever tried, but it would be 3-4 miles packing out to transportation). I discovered this spot with help from the bio and a weekend scouting trip.

Whatever you end up doing, memorize the second Kubat video, but make your own call out of birch bark. I gotta think there are some cub-based ridgetop hunts in the AK range northern foothills that could yield a monster, but that's gonna be work getting it to the strip.

My first AK moose (as a WA resident) cost me tag/license fees, a bigger bone saw, fuel to/from hunt site (from Anchorage) and some extra game bags. Work paid me to bring up my pickup for the summer/fall, and I borrowed Dad's canoe for that timeframe. That bull dried out to 69" wide - he was kissing 70" green, older than dirt, heavy as hell, and tough as nails. Wife and I packed and paddled for 2.5 days straight to get him out. Haven't seen one like him (in the field) since. Probably never will, unless I feel led to hunt the Koyukuk or Innoko.

Second AK moose (as AK resident) cost me license fee, fuel to/from hunt site from Anchorage, and a fraction of my Pro Pioneer amortized over three moose hunts and two sheep hunts ($2800/5). That bull was a bowl-racked youngster with long palm tines and has since dried to 54" wide. I packed the boat and camp inland for 3 days, packed moose (solo) for one solid day, and floated out for 9 hours.

Third AK moose cost me license fee, fuel to/from hunt site, PP fraction, and 1/4 of $6000 of dehavilland rental. That bull was a fugly 60" skinny racked older bull. I'm not choosy when I'm on a hunt with out-of-staters, and the skinny rack threw off their spread estimate. I wasn't bound to that, and was next boat downriver, so I shot. Moose died a solid shot put from the river. This was the least fun of all four moose hunts.

Fourth AK moose - see second AK moose, but he dried out at 58", and I only had to pack moose for half a day. I was farther upriver, though (more work getting in), and floated out for 12 hours.

Put a friend's kid on a walk-in caribou this fall. A little research and you can drive to the trailhead. Once you're five miles in, all signs of humans disappear into the myriad caribou trails. We only had a day and a half to hunt - a week would have been a hoot, but plan on 2 days of hard packing (solo) if you get one.

I went back to the hole from which moose #1 died two seasons later and struck out. That dropped my moose batting average to .800.

You're going to pay one way or another, in money or sweat. Likely both. A solo moose is brutal, no way around it. My Moose #2 and #4 spot has been found out, and I can't see going back in there without a willing packer (there's one out-of-the-way drainage where I doubt anyone's ever tried, but it would be 3-4 miles packing out to transportation). I discovered this spot with help from the bio and a weekend scouting trip.

Whatever you end up doing, memorize the second Kubat video, but make your own call out of birch bark. I gotta think there are some cub-based ridgetop hunts in the AK range northern foothills that could yield a monster, but that's gonna be work getting it to the strip.
C M L road?

Moose hunting isn't what it use to be, lots of pressure on the road accessible hunt areas these days.

That would be a great episode or two for the viewers. I've done three DIY trips to Alaska, two for sitka blacktails and one for caribou. I'm planning a fourth DIY trip (Kodiak Island sitka blacktails) and I think the planning information alone would make a great show, let alone the hunt.

Most people dream of going to Alaska and think it is beyond their reach, but by airing this kind of hunt many of these people might realize their dreams can come true.

The whole idea behind your show is to show hunters how easy it is to hunt on your own and be successful.I would really like to see this on your show as I'm looking hard at doing it in the near future.Why couldn't you do both moose and caribou?I've researched a little and there are places where you have a decent shot at either in Ak
Anyway, I don't watch your show for hunting LE tags that are a long shot,but rather your hunts where everyday guys can go and do.I think a diy Ak hunt would make a great couple episodes and follow the tradition of your show.I'd much rather see that hunt then a sheep hunt for a tag I'll never draw

Agreed. Your comments here cause me think harder to make sure we do that and that we put ourselves in the shoes of the average viewer who dreams of this idea, but currently feels it is impossible for them. Trying to do that by showing guys there are a lot of other options for AK moose, besides buying Powerball tickets. ;)

This is what I'm talking about...And what I look forward to learning on any of your shows Randy:hump:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back