PEAX Equipment

Alaska Moose - Is it Legal? 50inch

Which of these bulls are legal if any? 50 inch 4 brow tine unit

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 33.3%

Votes: 14 77.8%

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
I chose none of them. 3 is the closest in my mind but also the least clear. I shot a 42 inch Montana Moose, and so I have little reference, but I think it was close to as big as any of those.

Glad you had a good trip!

Yeah first time out we were being very conservative, our bar was 4 tines or 60 inches as we felt we didn't have the experience to make the call on a 51-54 inch bull.

The pic on three indeed sucks... that was a rodeo, it's a miracle got that pic.

I don’t have any experience with Alaska but I look at a lot of Shiras moose, and I wouldn’t have shot any of the four either. Alaska moose is high on my list though, looks like a great trip.

Hate you didn’t get one but I bet that was a awesome trip. Moose is on my bucket list.

I’ve hunted moose 3 times in Ak and have to count brow tines still so I’m no expert. But here goes:
1. 30-35”
2. 40-45”
3. 45-50”
4. 45-50” could be bigger, could be smaller.

Oof good question!

I won’t venture a guess, but I’m really good at counting to 4 so I’d stick to that method.

Watched a video where the guy got so in to it he was talking about using a mildot reticle scope to figure out with at like 500 or 600 yards. It was impressive to watch them crunch numbers and calculate it Rainman style.

No clue for legality of moose. Would manage to ensure as best possible to be legit, as you though glad you had an enjoyable trip and great views. See any other wildlife while out there? Just seeing bull moose out in the wild is pretty cool! BTW - #3 would press my interest to watch further - from no skilled perspective of course.

I chose none of them. 3 is the closest in my mind but also the least clear. I shot a 42 inch Montana Moose, and so I have little reference, but I think it was close to as big as any of those.

I'm right there too. I think three is the closest, but it's at the point that I wouldn't pull the trigger due to lack of brow tines. You don't want to be at 49" when the troopers stop by camp....

I agree.

I wonder what people would guess for my Alaska moose. For me, the answer is "perfect"

1. For sure not 50. Looks to be a 2x3 for brows.
2. Bigger than 1 and hard angle but with the lack of paddle width I'm guessing well shy of 50 as well. Looks to be 2x2 for brows.
3. Now this one is interesting. Both paddles are at least palmated 10 inches across and with eye to eye being 10 there might be 10 inches more on each side. No doubt he isn't a 60 incher but sure is close to 50 or over. I also see what looks like 3x3 for brows but could be more. No doubt I would be trying to get a better look or find him again if I was hunting.
4. Such a bad angle to accurately judge. Probably not 50 but definitely over 40. 2x2 brows.

You're crazy for passing up #3! Just kidding. It looks the closest of the four, but not close enough to pull the trigger on. Do they have to be 50" AND have four brow points on one side?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back