Alaska Moose Drop Camp recommendations

We are looking for this type hunt. The drop is and leave type hunt in a good area. I have talked with Tok air,willow air and 40 mile and couple of others no room till 2023. Does anyone have any other suggestions. We are looking at 2022. Thanks

We are looking for this type hunt. The drop is and leave type hunt in a good area. I have talked with Tok air,willow air and 40 mile and couple of others no room till 2023. Does anyone have any other suggestions. We are looking at 2022. Thanks
You could try Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Kotzebue, or Wade Renfro or Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel. Get your wallet ready, not gonna be cheap.

I will also highly recommend Papa Bear! I've used them for seven hunts and they are top notch. I've heard from a friend who used them last year for a drop moose hunt and the new owners are also top notch. It is hard to get in - there is so much demand they now use a lottery to select new hunters
I like them but I can’t get a hunt till 2023 and my dad don’t have that kind of time left before he can’t do the hunt. Physically wise.

I did a fly in drop hunt in 2017. I was lucky to have a boss that owns several planes and previously ran a hunter transport service before switching over to mostly helicopter work. He flew us in to a small airstrip that he had a cut out a few years earlier, but wouldn't be able to pick us or our moose up due to having a draw elk tag in SE Alaska that began at the same time as our moose season. Before we left Fairbanks he arranged for our pickup with Mark at Swift Fork Air. Mark bought the transport service from my boss when he decided to retire as a biologist with Alaska Fish and Game. I had worked with Mark a couple times as a net/dart gunner during the winter when his flight service business is slow. He takes his business very seriously and works hard to make sure his hunters are successful. He only takes a limited amount of hunters each season, likes to rest spots, and is kind of picky about who he takes on as clients since he only wants guys that he thinks have what it takes to have a successful legal hunt. A buddy of mine from Pennsylvania went with him last fall and ended up with a nice bull.

These are the bulls we got in 2017.
View attachment 143465

View attachment 143466
how much did it cost to bring the meat back

A buddy and I went with Renfro's in 2019. My ex father-in-law went with them twice before that. They are a first class operation. You would have the trip of a lifetime. If your only going to do it once do it right.

My buddy on Kodiak that I went and helped on a bear hunt a few years ago also guides for Renfro. I don't know much about their drop hunts but the guided hunts are amazing. They just about always take 65" + and and couple of years ago took an 81".

Hey guys..looking into doing an Alaskan Moose Hunt DIY..looking to do a drop camp where they fly you in or even a float trip..anyone have any outfitters or services that do these type of trips? We want to hunt DIY, however we understand we would have to be dropped off via plane or boat..feel free to PM me..
Thanks!
I live in Alaska and you need to be very careful when making your selection it is very easy to get screwed out of a lot of money. Ask questions and talk to several operators before selection.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back