Alaska Moose Drop Camp recommendations

TN VOL

Hey guys..looking into doing an Alaskan Moose Hunt DIY..looking to do a drop camp where they fly you in or even a float trip..anyone have any outfitters or services that do these type of trips? We want to hunt DIY, however we understand we would have to be dropped off via plane or boat..feel free to PM me..
Thanks!

My Dad and I have been looking to do the same, albeit with Caribou first, then hopefully with moose later on depending on health and finances. Any specific areas you've looked into? We're eyeing the Tok area for our adventure, having decided against the Brooks Range area and trading Muskegs for pines and willows.

Thanks for the replies..we really have no idea which area to focus on..we’ve considered caribou as well and bear..

I did a fly in drop hunt in 2017. I was lucky to have a boss that owns several planes and previously ran a hunter transport service before switching over to mostly helicopter work. He flew us in to a small airstrip that he had a cut out a few years earlier, but wouldn't be able to pick us or our moose up due to having a draw elk tag in SE Alaska that began at the same time as our moose season. Before we left Fairbanks he arranged for our pickup with Mark at Swift Fork Air. Mark bought the transport service from my boss when he decided to retire as a biologist with Alaska Fish and Game. I had worked with Mark a couple times as a net/dart gunner during the winter when his flight service business is slow. He takes his business very seriously and works hard to make sure his hunters are successful. He only takes a limited amount of hunters each season, likes to rest spots, and is kind of picky about who he takes on as clients since he only wants guys that he thinks have what it takes to have a successful legal hunt. A buddy of mine from Pennsylvania went with him last fall and ended up with a nice bull.

These are the bulls we got in 2017.
IMG_E1503.jpg

IMG_E1534.jpg

I will also highly recommend Papa Bear! I've used them for seven hunts and they are top notch. I've heard from a friend who used them last year for a drop moose hunt and the new owners are also top notch. It is hard to get in - there is so much demand they now use a lottery to select new hunters

I’m going with Papa Bear next year. They have been great to deal with so far and everybody has good things to say about them.
Other than a tragic airplane wreck, it sounds like Renfro’s has a similar great reputation.

Anyone willing to drop a rough price for Papa Bear if you have it? Dad and I have been talking about this too and I'm kind of trying to figure out roughly how much we need save. That will also give me an idea how far out I'm looking lol.

Anyone willing to drop a rough price for Papa Bear if you have it? Dad and I have been talking about this too and I'm kind of trying to figure out roughly how much we need save. That will also give me an idea how far out I'm looking lol.
We were there in '15, and I don't think our costs then are relevant to you now but I did the whole thing for under $7k from doorstep and back, meat, antlers (plan for that!), etc.

If you want to make it a reality, you have to switch from Dream Mode to Plan Mode. It won't get cheaper, easier, or better. And you won't get younger, stronger, or tougher by waiting :)
All true. Indiana Jones said, "It's not the years, its the mileage." In my case its both. I have a hunting buddy who has done DIY moose twice. We are planning.

Back