Alaska Here We Come

KayakMacGyver

30 year dream coming true as the wife and I sit on an airplane waiting to depart for 8 days in Southeast Alaska, chasing black bears.

We'll arrive in Seattle from Florida around 10:30AM local time and spend the day sightseeing. I got to spend a week in Seattle a few years ago for work, but Alicia has never been. Starving ourselves now for all we can eat Beecher's mac and cheese. Tomorrow we fly on to Petersburg, AK where adventure begins in earnest.

Service will be tough to come by, but I plan to post a story when we return.

So long!

30 year dream coming true as the wife and I sit on an airplane waiting to depart for 8 days in Southeast Alaska, chasing black bears.

We'll arrive in Seattle from Florida around 10:30AM local time and spend the day sightseeing. I got to spend a week in Seattle a few years ago for work, but Alicia has never been. Starving ourselves now for all we can eat Beecher's mac and cheese. Tomorrow we fly on to Petersburg, AK where adventure begins in earnest.

Service will be tough to come by, but I plan to post a story when we return.

So long!
We should be due a couple good stories from yall this year. Good luck!

I don't know if you are staying close to the airport. It's pretty easy to take the light rail from SeaTac to downtown. Follow the signs to the station at SeaTac, there is a kiosk to buy your tickets.

Safe travels, best of luck and can’t wait to hear about it.

Fun start to the adventure. Arrived in Seattle and took the light rail to our reserved hotel. Judging by the stares, I'm sure it was a little odd for passengers to see folks carrying hunting gear and rifles riding on public transit fresh out of the airport. The further we got from the airport, the more the glares intensified.

Hopped off at University station and made a short walk to our hotel where it appeared vagrants had taken over the city. Something felt off, but I couldnt put my finger on it. Figured out the fuzzy feeling when to our hotel and the doors were locked with signs on the door: "operations temporarily suspended".

Ha! Apparently Hilton shut the place down several months ago and forgot to inform us. Our reservation still showed on the app and we never received any communication from them.

Took a 1/2 mile walk of shame to the next closest Hilton property and got plenty of honks and stares along the away.

Seattle is a tough place to be out of place, but I think we succeeded 😁

Spent the evening showing the Mrs. around the city. Highlight (lowlight?) was witnessing a vagrant shoot themselves up on a side street. That is a sobering thing to witness.

I plan to write a mini love letter to my Governor upon our return to tell him just how much I truly appreciate the way he runs our great state of Florida, where business is open and we ain't paying no stinking 10.25% sales tax!

Attachments

• 20210509_114833.jpg
    20210509_114833.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210510_052939_170.jpg
    IMG_20210510_052939_170.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 43
Let the memories begin! 😁 Hope it was the only trouble you have. Sounds like an angry complaint to Hilton about it may get you some free nights?

Fun start to the adventure. Arrived in Seattle and took the light rail to our reserved hotel. Judging by the stares, I'm sure it was a little odd for passengers to see folks carrying hunting gear and rifles riding on public transit fresh out of the airport. The further we got from the airport, the more the glares intensified.

Hopped off at University station and made a short walk to our hotel where it appeared vagrants had taken over the city. Something felt off, but I couldnt put my finger on it. Figured out the fuzzy feeling when to our hotel and the doors were locked with signs on the door: "operations temporarily suspended".

Ha! Apparently Hilton shut the place down several months ago and forgot to inform us. Our reservation still showed on the app and we never received any communication from them.

Took a 1/2 mile walk of shame to the next closest Hilton property and got plenty of honks and stares along the away.

Seattle is a tough place to be out of place, but I think we succeeded 😁

Spent the evening showing the Mrs. around the city. Highlight (lowlight?) was witnessing a vagrant shoot themselves up on a side street. That is a sobering thing to witness.

I plan to write a mini love letter to my Governor upon our return to tell him just how much I truly appreciate the way he runs our great state of Florida, where business is open and we ain't paying no stinking 10.25% sales tax!
This whole post made me smile. My wife and I flew up to Portland from SC in 2019 to do some sturgeon fishing on the Columbia River. I felt the same way the whole time I was walking around that place.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back