AK Black Bear

Kyhunter42

Sorry it has taken me a while to post the details from my AK black bear hunt, but I have been extremely busy building my house.

We headed out of Seward by boat to destination in PWS. My buddy has a cabin in one of the bays there and he was letting us use it for a spring bear hunt. I took my bear on the first day at camp. We spotted him on the beach. The beach was very rocky with only a few places that we could land the skiff. I got dropped off about a mile from the bear. It took a couple of hours but I was able to close the gap to 225 yards. One shot from my 270 and I had dropped the first bear in camp. Unfortunately I had ruined my camera in the surf and I had to take him back to camp to get pictures. We waited until high tide then we were able to land the skill within 100 yards of the bear, so it wasn’t too bad moving him. He just got a little wet.

The bear turned out to be a lot skinnier than I had thought, but he squared out at 6’7” and had a skull of 19 ½”, so he wasn’t as small as I had feared. I didn’t think this was too bad for my first black bear. The other three guys in camp took bears as well.

Attachments

• My bear.jpg
    My bear.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Bear Camp.jpg
    Bear Camp.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 208
Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• Tony's bear 2.jpg
    Tony's bear 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Tony's bear.jpg
    Tony's bear.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 4 bears.jpg
    4 bears.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 209
That thing looks great, congrats on a great hunt. I can't wait to go and do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back