Caribou Gear

Air bags in the rear

SD_Prairie_Goat

Installed airbags in my 2012 ram to just help with towing my small camper. Everything looks good from a soap standpoint, but the manual recommends pressure testing it a day after installing to make sure it stays within a couple PSI.

The problem I have is the moment I test the pressure with my tire gauge, it loses pressure making an invalid test. For example. if I just pumped them up to 35 psi, next test with the tire gauge would be 20s, then 5's then nothing.

Any idea what I could do to better test it? Come back in a week of it sitting in the garage and feel if the bags have pressure inside the coils? Maybe get a gauge that can screw onto the valve stem? Others?

Do you have a regulated compressor where you could set the output pressure to what the airbag should be? It shouldn't fill the airbag past the regulated pressure once you hit equilibrium. I think.

If you can buy the on board compressor with the remote do it. I used to haul probably two gooseneck loads of hay every week when I was still farming, worth every penny imo.

Last edited:
Put some weight in the bed and use a tape measure to check hitch height. I had bags in my 13 ram and loved them enough to put a set in my 19 f150 too

Put some weight in the bed and use a tape measure to check hitch height. I had bags in my 13 ram and loved them enough to put a set in my 19 f150 too
Oh that's a good idea. Got a better test result today after sitting two nights. 31 psi.

Maybe I'll hitch up the camper and let it sit over night and measure the hitch

You can buy an air chuck with a gauge on it. It has a ball valve built in so that you can check it without removing it from the valve stem.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back