Aftermarket front sight for shotgun

Wilderness_56587

Looking at a Tru-glo style sight for my mossberg ulti-mag, If I go with a tru-glo front sight do I still use the rear bead?

I currently have a gold pin rear bead and white front bead.

Looking at this

or this

I will use the gun for pheasants, and turkey mainly

I have just a true-glow front on my mossberg, and then a front and rear on my Remington. I use both for turkey but my Remington for deer.

In your case I’d probably just use the front one.

Go with the screw in type for sure. Snap on's are junk and will come off in the brush. The ones with replaceable fiber optics are nice too if you ever break one or want to change colors. I think the rear bead is a matter of personal preference.

Is the fiber optic a big improvement over the white bead? I just noticed turkey hunting this weekend that the white bead on the rainy cloudy day did not stand out at all

I use fiber optics for all my shotguns because I'm opposite eye dominant and too old to switch to lefty. I've tried green and red but prefer green. The one I use has a longer "tube" which can not be seen by my left eye, thus forcing my right eye to pick up the green bead. It is magnetic, It's worked fine but as stated it could get knocked off if the brush. I believe either red or green are going to be much easier to pick up than white.

It depends on what you plan to do with the gun. For trap shooting two beads has some utility but for novices it usually causes more problems than it solves. Promotes looking at the gun while trying to shoot at a moving target and that just doesn't work. Eyes must stay on the target. Experienced trap shooters will mount the gun and use two beads to get gun/themselves lined up before pulling the target. Once lined up, they watch for target and never stop looking at it. For other clay sports and especially for wingshooting beads are pretty much useless decoration. They better be! From low gun you'll never really have time to line up beads and then find the target and focus on it. Many moving target coaches actually remove the front bead entirely to keep students from getting distracted to it. I pulled the glowing front sight from the Citori I bought two years ago for that reason. It was one with set screws that clamped to side of the rib. DO NOT go that route. The screws left marks on the rib.

Last edited:
I have the Tru Glow snap-on on my 870 and like it a lot. You have to make sure to get the correct width for your rib. Mine was extremely tight to get on, and personally can’t imagine it coming off easily. Comes with double sided tape for extra insurance.
I also like having the rear for turkeys.

Last edited:
I have the Tru Glow snap-on on my 870 and like it a lot. You have to sure to get the right one for your rib width. Mine was extremely tight to get on, and personally can’t imagine it coming off easily. Comes with double sided tape for extra insurance.
I also like having the rear for turkeys.
Do you have a single rear sight or the double rear sight?

Years ago I painted the front and rear beads black on my competition Trap and Skeet shotguns.

Actually on a shotgun your eye is the rear sight. You're supposed to focus your eye on the target.

I've found, both with myself and watching other shooters, that if the front bead or sight is a bright color, the shooter's eye will automatically focus between the bright sight and the target which usually results in a miss.

Watch the muzzle of someone swinging on a flying target. If the muzzle is moving in short jerks, the shooter's eye is moving back and forth between the front sight and the target.

All the aftermarket fiber optics I've seen are really big dots. I've shot them on others guns and didnt like it. I feel like you dont need that big of a bead you should be focusing on the target. Of course this is for wingshooting, I'm not a turkey hunter so that may be better for turkeys.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back