Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

After the Kill

midwesterncrosshair

I watch many videos of hunters processing the elk and I see a swarm of flies on the carcass. What do you guys do if there are flies on your elk while you are quartering the meat? Do you take any preventative measures or swat flies away while your cutting? Or just cut your game and get it in the game bag ASAP?

Thanks for your input

I watch many videos of hunters processing the elk and I see a swarm of flies on the carcass. What do you guys do if there are flies on your elk while you are quartering the meat? Do you take any preventative measures or swat flies away while your cutting? Or just cut your game and get it in the game bag ASAP?

Thanks for your input
Maybe put skin side up? If you have a clean surface to put it on. I am going to try a tarp to make quartering as sterile as I can.

I’ve heard a spray of citric acid keeps the flies off but I’ve never wanted to tote a spray bottle in my pack. Idea is to have dry crystals in the bottles and add water when you’re ready. Heard of it, never tried it.

After getting the living s**t kicked out of me by bees and flies last year I picked up some of this citric acid game bag spray for $9.99 (minus 10% using code Randy of course) from caribougear.com
I hear it’s supposed to help.
If I get lucky and it does I’ll let you know. B5AAC0B8-2FA8-4040-9A8B-85C2F4826529.jpeg

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.meatcare#:~:text=Using Citric Acid to Reduce,water will do the job.

"Once all the meat is hung, remove the meat bags and spray the meat with a citric acid/water mixture. The meat should be sprayed until the mixture begins to run off the meat. About two ounces of citric acid for each quart of water will do the job.

Food grade citric acid can be purchased at most pharmacies or feed stores. The citric acid will slow down bacteria growth that spoils meat, and it creates a dark "crust" on the outside of the meat that makes it harder for flies to lay their eggs on the meat. Don’t worry about the citric acid mixture getting the meat too wet. The mixture will dry quickly. Once meat is dry, reinsert it into meat bags."

If you get it into good game bags quickly and hang it in a dry enough environment a crust should develop pretty naturally.

I have an emergency blanket I plan to use as a place to lay the quarters in order to keep them clean. I guess that is if the flies are not bad I can let them cool. But is that a thing everyone does is spray their meat? I have caribou game bags also, if that is supposed to be a barrier to keep the bugs from getting your meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back