Caribou Gear Tarp

Africa July 2007

IDHunters

I went to RSA in July of 2007. Haven't posted anything yet so here goes. I was in country for 7 days with my friend Chuck. We drove to Salt Lake and spent the night. Our flight to Atlanta left at 6:30 am. From Atlanta it was a mere 19 hours to JoBerg, after a brief stop in scenic Dakkar, Senegal for a refuel, luggage seach and quick fumigation. The "highlight" of the flight was that Jimmy Carter was on the same flight. He walked up and down the aisles shaking everyones hand. I figured we would be blown out of the sky before we cleared US airspace.

The first day we got there it was evening and we basically ate, drank and slept. We left JoBerg and traveled north, nearly to Botswana the second day and hunted the evening. Chuck killed a warthog. The second day we found some gemsbok and I missed the first one. A short time later I got another chance and shot the one in the picture. Its a cow, app. 40" horns (have not measured them since I got them back).

I shot her a little behind the front shoulder at an angle that the bullet came out the off side rear hind quarter. She took off like I had missed. It took the tracker over 2 hours to find her and she was still alive. By the time I got to her she had expired.

Later that day Chuck got a chance and killed a nice kudu. It would take 2 more days of hunting to find another Kudu bull for me. The next day we hunted a new property and I got a shot at what turned out to be a huge impala ram. It is in the second pic. Its about 25" long with good mass. I was watching a water hole, laying on my stomach in the dirt with a thorn infested branch for a blind. Good stuff!

We spent the next day looking for a kudu. We were supposed to leave the area and go hunt wildebeest in the south but I had not seen a shooter bull yet. We sat a water hole for 4 hours without any luck. As we were getting ready to leave, I spotted a bull in the thick brush about 150 yards away. After frantically confirming with the Professional Hunter that it was indeed a good bull I place a round right in the shoulder. A few minutes and a short, bloody track later I had my bull (pic 3). He is very old, over 10 years. His horns are worn down and have many scars-they don't shed so they wear down as they get older. They are app. 48" on the spiral.

We then left heading south back to Johanesberg and the main lodge. We had a 4 door Toyota Tacoma 2wd, 4 adults and our personal & hunting gear, and the capes, hides and heads of 2 kudu, 1 gemsbok, 1 impala and a warthog. Our next quest would be for black wildebeest and blesbok, along with a gemsbok for Chuck. I will try and get those pictures to you soon.

Attachments

• gemsbok sized.jpg
    gemsbok sized.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 183
  • impala sized.jpg
    impala sized.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 184
  • kudu sized.jpg
    kudu sized.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 181
This is another picture of the gemsbok. One of my favorites.

Attachments

• gemsbok2 sized.jpg
    gemsbok2 sized.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 169
My friend Chuck got a great shot on a real nice kudu bull. Caught him bedded in the shade during mid day. Got him the same day as my gemsbok.

The next critter was the black wildebeest. I think they are pretty cool looking. I'm getting a shoulder mount but a european skull mount would look great.

The last pic is my blesbok. He is curved a little funny on one side. I shot another impala on the last day. I got his hide tanned as a flat skin and will do a european mount.

Attachments

• chuck kudu sized.jpg
    chuck kudu sized.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 168
  • black wildebeest.jpg
    black wildebeest.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 166
  • blesbok.jpg
    blesbok.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 169
Those are some great tophies. Congrats!

On the drive between Mussina and Durban we saw hundreds of blesbok along the road. reminded me of driving through WY and all the pronghorn along the highway...

You did well!! As Bambi said, those are some really nice animals. Congratulations!

SUPER IMPALA !!! Nice heavy bases on Kudu. (Gonna try them again in a few weeks---take my Buddy's sons out for their annual Kudu hunt up North and take one myself if I see a good one then head to East Cape for their subspecies). Gemsbok sure are pretty creatures, nice l o n g one you got there! Black Wildebeest can be frustrating to hunt! How long a shot did you have to take?

If I remember right the wildebeest was 325 yards and the blesbok was 290. Getting the right one to clear the herd can be an issue with both.

You got that right!!! We had chased a herd of Blacks for at least three hours with all their antics! (third day we had sort of tried them)Then they got out in short grass with no cover for us. We zigzag back and forth paralleling the herd, not looking at them, and easing closer in full site! The herd split, running to and fro but the herd bull stood there looking at us!!! In the middle, wide open. Lucky!! Sat down, used one leg of shooting sticks as brace from 315 metres. Heart shot him but he still ran almost half a mile! 7mmMag with 175gr sierras.
Common Blesbok was easier. Two good bulls split from herd and let us concentrate on them. Had cover and got within about 210 metres. Lucky again!
Very nice pics and animals you got!!
Nineteen more days for my next try!!

I have the skulls, hides and horns. I did not have them mounted in RSA, but they are all cleaned for european mounts and the hides are all tanned. Will get them up to the taxi in the next month or so.

It would be cheaper to have them mounted in RSA but way more costly to ship as they charge for bulk and weight.

Everything was shot with a 270 WSM with 150 grain XP3 bullets. Not 1 bullet was recovered, complete pass thru on all shots. Everything but the gemsbok and kudu were recovered within a few yards of the shot. The kudu went about 70 yards spraying blood before dropping. The gemsbok was just a poor shot. DON'T SHOOT AFRICAN ANIMALS BEHIND THE FRONT SHOULDER THERE'S NOTHING THERE!

My buddy chuck used a 300 win mag. No problems there either.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back